Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

How will Watford recover from this?

We recovered from losing 8-0 in a game much later in the season in 2012, and Sunderland recovered from a similar pasting by Southampton some years later to survive as well.

They simply have to remember that it's just one game, and it makes no difference to your points total if you lose 8-0 or 3-2.

Since May 2017 Watford have played City seven times and in four of those games have conceded five or more goals. So they're kind of used to being thrashed by them now, and usually recover to have a decent enough season, if they have a bad one this time around I don't think it will be because of today's result.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We recovered from losing 8-0 in a game much later in the season in 2012, and Sunderland recovered from a similar pasting by Southampton some years later to survive as well.

They simply have to remember that it's just one game, and it makes no difference to your points total if you lose 8-0 or 3-2.

Yep there's no law saying you can't win your next game if you get a thrashing.

Think Wigan were the best from recovering from being smashed. Didn't they once lose 8-1 or something at Spurs, pretty sure they then won the next week 1-0.

Only damage which will hit Watford long term is their GD is now much worse than rivals so they'll struggle to improve that over the season when wins are a struggle.

• Like 1

For anyone concerned about the ability of our team to stay up this season let me reassure I have just spent 90 minutes watching Newcastle vs Brighton.

Brighton completely dominated that game without ever looking like scoring. Passing and moving beautifully until they got to the Newcastle penalty area and then running out of ideas. Not disappointed at all that we missed out on Maupay he looked selfish and bang average.

Newcastle are exactly what you would expect of a Steve Bruce team. No attacking cohesion whatsoever. Standing miles apart and punting the ball in the general direction of a teammate. Completely reliant on a moment of individual brilliance. Fortunately for us they don't look like they have an individual remotely capable of providing a moment of brilliance.

We need to step up our own performances but definitely nothing to fear from these two sides.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Newcastle still ended up getting a result and we are now back in the bottom 3.

I wouldn't worry too much about what Newcastle are doing. If we finish below them we are 100% down. Better they took points off Brighton. Plenty of time for our team to start clicking.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, villadodo said:

I wouldn't worry too much about what Newcastle are doing. If we finish below them we are 100% down. Better they took points off Brighton. Plenty of time for our team to start clicking.

Totally agree. If we finish below Newcastle we get relegated, simple as that. We might finish above them and still go down of course.

I can't predict when and who they'll appoint as their next manager but under SB they are already putting in terrible performances in winnable home games so that will hurt them in next few montths.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Totally agree. If we finish below Newcastle we get relegated, simple as that. We might finish above them and still go down of course.

I can't predict when and who they'll appoint as their next manager but under SB they are already putting in terrible performances in winnable home games so that will hurt them in next few montths.

My worry is we'll start clicking just as we start a shit run against the huge teams, lose every one by a goal or two which will then really destroy confidence 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Newcastle still ended up getting a result and we are now back in the bottom 3.

You really are living and breathing this doing a Fulham thing aren't you! 

• Haha 3