Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

24 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I hope they get it all going at some point for it to all fall over and end like a Carry on film.

No health impacts on anyone but where something like,  no one ever watches the games,  they don't stream properly,  everyone turns off after 10 mins to go outside and do something less boring instead,  false alarms for Corona within teams,  matches called off as fans outside stadium.  There must be more things that can go wrong ?  Ending in Farce and acrimony is where Im at,  where in the end LiVarpool just get a tiny trophy and not the real one the words removed.  

Betting,  how the **** can you price Home teams at Neutral grounds ?

Betting,  anyone know the odds for relegation ? (I can t look at work) (For the bottom 6)- Guess 4/7 Villa ?

Made me think of this, may date me a littel bit....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Seems to me that the only way we are going to stay up. Is for the season to restart and for us to get enough points. Glad to see we are starting a form of training

If this is how it transpires then it will only happen if they work harder, sounds simple but makes me think of Smith's comment about training ground players.

I wouldn't wish anyone to catch the virus but I do think this is all way too soon.

I hope that being back to play the season is good for the club. I think they'd relegate us otherwise. We need to live with that fact anyway. I just hope what they're doing is safe for everyone.

I think a lot of teams will not be that interested, so hopefully that gives us a good chance in terms of securing some points here or there.

Saying that,

Wolves, Sheff Utd, Man Utd, West Ham, Chelsea are definitely taking it seriously. One would just hope that Liverpool, Arsenal, Palace, Everton and Newcastle would be much easier.

I think the bottom 6 are the most the would take this seriously, so I think it might require 40+ this time. Which may still drag Newcastle and Southampton back again. A lot of teams won't put a big effort. No fitness, a lot of unexpected circumstances.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Funny how a tweet about football tells us more about the next year than any government statement. It's entirely realistic - vaccine first, roll it out - however long that takes - and then back to normal. Even if we get the Oxford vaccine in Sept it takes a month to produce antibodies (in monkeys) and it's possible it doesn't stop the virus spreading but reduces its danger drastically. Under those conditions, there won't be any large crowd permitted until everyone has been vaccinated. Therefore they might as well start up sooner than later just to get used to the new normal.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Deeney said he is refusing to return to training 

I have full respect for him. The reasons given are well thought out and I can't see how anybody can disagree with his decision not to train at the present time. Must be a difficult decision as a key player for Watford too.

It does make more of a mockery out of the whole idea of football returning. How many other players are there going to be who choose not to come back?

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Funny how a tweet about football tells us more about the next year than any government statement. It's entirely realistic - vaccine first, roll it out - however long that takes - and then back to normal. Even if we get the Oxford vaccine in Sept it takes a month to produce antibodies (in monkeys) and it's possible it doesn't stop the virus spreading but reduces its danger drastically. Under those conditions, there won't be any large crowd permitted until everyone has been vaccinated. Therefore they might as well start up sooner than later just to get used to the new normal.   

The alternative view is if they ended this season now they could plan for next , as it is they look like cramming in this one and once its done leave themselves a few weeks to restart.Anything below the PL will struggle to get next season going

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Why dont just time to plan it properly.  We have front line workers that cant get the tests and PPE they fully need, teachers who apparently need to start preparing for 1st of June yet we are wasting tests on footballers, a complete non-essential activity.  We are still only getting 75k tests a day. 

It doesnt matter now because it seems the PL (not the players, refs or supporting people) care about money over health so fook it, just get on with it and let it be on their conscience. 

I just hope all those people that havent had a vote on this who are forced to play and assist, doesnt matter whether they are an assistant on minimum wage or top footballer earning millions, that these people are safe on this and we can keep the amount of deaths that lead from this to a minimum while the people in their rich ivory towers that dont risk their lives but who do have the vote watch on nice and safe in their homes .

Those that say well they are being tested regularly......great, the test is only to see whether you have it or not......doesnt help at all with the virus.  It only needs one player to have it and several if not more get it.  As Trump said "one day the VP press secretary didnt have it, the next day she did" (unfortunately that wasnt backing the argument he was trying to make).  A player could have the test and then on the way home from training, get some petrol, get the virus from the petrol station and then pass it to others because his next test isn’t at least until the day, if not for days. 

He could pop in from the way home from training to get a bottle of milk, and get it from the local shop or ASDA guy...then pass to other players.....Ahh i hear you say, well he would've got it anyway or that risk for anybody, it wasnt through football.  The point is that it is increasing his activity in society, mixing with more people, allowing the virus to spread.  If he wasnt training, then less need for petrol, less need to get the virus from the petrol station, which then spread to the player, which then spread to other players and coaches, and then his own family members, then the other players family members...

A test is a point in time, a test is relevant to help understand who has the virus, to isolate people and is needed in combating this virus but doesnt help when you do have this virus and the time it takes to know you have the virus especially when you are mixing between society, family and other footballers and assistants.

But hey, my rant doesnt matter.....those that have the vote, are nice and safe in their houses, and those that have no vote have to do what they say for amusement.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Must be a difficult decision as a key player for Watford too.

Great for us to be fair.

But if he stand by this i fully expect him not returning to football until a vaccine has arrived. Could be up to 1-2 years away

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But if he stand by this i fully expect him not returning to football until a vaccine has arrived. Could be up to 1-2 years away

You're right, but there is one more optimistic outcome - hopefully his baby will get well during that period.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Watford are the poster team for Project restart - during the coming part-season, they could be without their Captain who is refusing to train, lose their two senior goalkeepers, change from one kit to another, change from one sponsor to another and potentially have a player who would have been injured for the remainder of the regular season back from injury for this one, but only half arsed because he's rumoured to be signing a pre-contract with Arsenal.

Also, I've had a check and Watford fans do the same "social distancing from corners all season" joke that we do.

• Like 2

If Project restart is about retaining the £340m of TV money that's being lost and relegation is a £200m loss nightmare for clubs, then why don't the bottom five clubs have a whip round, find 15/20th's of £340m themselves then give that money to the greedies at the top table and hey presto no need to finish the season and no relegation issues at a cost of just £51m to Villa.

#WeAreOneTeam

• Like 1

Society would collapse if everyone had the same mindset as Deeney.

I'm just saying. Imagine if health workers had his mindset.

You'll be safer on the training ground than virtually any other work place. It's close to zero chance of infection.

But fair enough. He got the money normal people doesn't have to stay home for years without problems. You do you Troy. Most of us have to get back to work, can't hide away at home forever.

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

So you're holding the fact that Deeney doesn't want to unnecessarily put his and his young child's health at risk against him. 

He only seems to be asking that proper testing and protocols are put in place before he returns to play a sport (i.e. not save people's lives as health workers are doing). 

The further this "Project Restart" seems to go the more out of touch with reality football seems to be to me. Spending ridiculous amounts of money to allow players to return to finish a season in completely different circumstances to how the season started purely for the money is quickly turning me against football as a whole to be honest.

The ridiculous pre-season friendly vibe to the Bundesliga games at the weekend shows what a farce the end to the season will be. I'd genuinely rather see us relegated on a PPG basis as it seems fairer than the contrived close to the season that this is going to be. Let's be honest we were well on our way down before this all happened.

Plenty of people today in the same situation who still works.

No i'm not holding it against him at all. He's got the money to stay at home for years without problems like most people don't have.

He is an important part of the team though. Watford could suffer greatly for this.

But if all footballers had his mindset. Refusing to return until a vaccine which could be years away. Football clubs would go bankrupt.

29 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Watford are the poster team for Project restart - during the coming part-season, they could be without their Captain who is refusing to train, lose their two senior goalkeepers, change from one kit to another, change from one sponsor to another and potentially have a player who would have been injured for the remainder of the regular season back from injury for this one, but only half arsed because he's rumoured to be signing a pre-contract with Arsenal.

Also, I've had a check and Watford fans do the same "social distancing from corners all season" joke that we do.

According to Transfermarkt they also lose another keeper Daniel Bachmann along with defenders Mariappa and Holebas who at least have been rotation players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

I have full respect for him. The reasons given are well thought out and I can't see how anybody can disagree with his decision not to train at the present time. Must be a difficult decision as a key player for Watford too.

It does make more of a mockery out of the whole idea of football returning. How many other players are there going to be who choose not to come back?

Fair enough he has valid reasons for not training but I wonder after a few games and Watford are stuck in the relegation zone, pressure might force him to play even though he won’t be match fit. Family must come first but not sure about the black and Asian argument. Is it actually proven?