Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

The league is talking about finishing at the end of August and then having a three week break before restarting in September for 2020-21 - if they're looking to start on 19th September, they're giving themselves 35 weekends to get the season done in - if every team plays midweek too, then that's 68 game opportunities.

With maybe 8 of those for earmarked for internationals, 14 for the European competitions and then domestic cups means they're going to be cutting it very, very tight for the start of the Euros. 

If teams play pre-season games in the three week gap, we're looking at players potentially playing 80 games in 12 months. 

It remains possible, it can be done - but it's going to be carnage.

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

But the same argument would surely also apply to promotion, ie. a long way still to go in the promotion race.

Yes, but promoting a club is a positive for them, whilst relegation is a very big negative. Neither has been earned or determined yet, so I wouldn't do either myself, when a season has not been fully completed. If one of them has to happen and the EFL are very vocal on this, then promoting a couple of clubs would be more widely accepted, than relegating a couple.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Do i think it's a scam designed specifically to relegate us? No, not at all, of course not i'm not daft, or mentally challenged and i have to say i feel your question is meant more as a p*** take than a serious question which is a bit fresh when visiting another message board.

I feel that playing in empty stadiums will firstly put people at risk. Even putting that aside it will clearly have an impact on the outcomes of the remaining games.  I am not too sure how much you are aware of Aston Villa's situation being a visiting supporter but we have six tough home games remaining (more than any other club apart from Man City also with six) and despite everything, including a lot of abject performances by us this season, we are definitely stronger in front of the Villa Park crowd than we are away from it as was witnessed by our win over Leicester in the cup ;) So will it have an impact on our remaining home results? Almost certainly yes. Is that right when those six teams we play had the advantage of their home crowd in the reverse fixtures?

So clearly the "integrity of the game" (laughs out loud) has been compromised. As you will know it's a game of very fine margins so to have anything changed part way through will have an impact. There are many other factors too of course such as teams getting players back fit, players minds being on an imminent transfer more than on giving 100% in this extended bit as they don't want to pick up an injury & lose their big payday. Some teams will be without players due to health concerns (we have two). So the season in my view should be scrapped as integrity has long since gone.

So yes i feel it's just a sham quite frankly (Scam was probably the wrong word to use in my original post).

By the way i really am not overly bothered which division we end up in either as i found the Championship a much better league to watch (maybe not the same quality from some teams but hey ho) especially with no dodgy VAR etc which also completely ruined this one for me. I actually re-found my passion for football in that division it was fun so have no qualms about going back there (no doubt the club would much prefer to stay up of course for financial reasons). It looks like next season could also be a bit weird anyway so really not that bothered.

My Apologies.

It was probably the use of the word "scam" that set me off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

It was probably the use of the word "scam" that set me off.

I think the nearest it gets to being a scam is that it's a project designed to replicate Premier league football in a form that does just enough to satisfy broadcasters - it's fake football, artificially stitched on to last season's real football in order to ensure the clubs get to keep £340m. 

"Of course this is the real London Bridge, now just sign here."

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The league is talking about finishing at the end of August and then having a three week break before restarting in September for 2020-21 - if they're looking to start on 19th September, they're giving themselves 35 weekends to get the season done in - if every team plays midweek too, then that's 68 game opportunities.

With maybe 8 of those for earmarked for internationals, 14 for the European competitions and then domestic cups means they're going to be cutting it very, very tight for the start of the Euros. 

If teams play pre-season games in the three week gap, we're looking at players potentially playing 80 games in 12 months. 

I'd say Pre season is out the Window 

Transfer wise it will be carnage especially for those who drop down , who will have clubs trying to hoover up best players on the cheap 

Just now, zab6359 said:

Training in small groups from tomorrow, I reckon an early June restart!

They're still looking at training tomorrow for a start on 12th June I think  - although it looks like the players/managers are pushing for a week or two's delay to that start date 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I'd say Pre season is out the Window 

Transfer wise it will be carnage especially for those who drop down , who will have clubs trying to hoover up best players on the cheap 

Pre Season will be half an orange and start again.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Pre Season will be half an orange and start again.

The league have been reported as speaking quite confidently about a three week break. It's going to be mental fitting everything in.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

The league have been reported as speaking quite confidently about a three week break. It's going to be mental fitting everything in.

They will fit in everything that makes money so goodbye league cup and FA Cup replays.

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The effects of having a 3 week break between seasons would be catastrophic for next season. Relegated clubs would be desperate to get players off their wage bill and free up space to sign replacements, while promoted clubs would be held to ransom to improve their squads.

Can you imagine the difficulty a team promoted via the play-offs would have? They would have to release or sell players they no longer wanted in the squad, find their replacements, negotiate a deal, integrate the new signings into the team with little to no friendly matches, scout their upcoming opposition etc. Not to mention the difficulties the ticket office would have in selling tickets in such a short time window, negotiating new sponsorship deals, upgrading the stadium if necessary, relaying the pitch as clubs do every season and so on.

All in 3 weeks.

Would it really be any surprise if they were relegated straight back down based on their inability to prepare for the season ahead. 

Meanwhile the relegated clubs would likely be suffering from an unbalanced squad, either losing their key players on the cheap or being forced to keep high earners on the wage bill, or both. 

It seems that these are the unfortunate consequences that clubs will have to accept with such a short break between seasons - a gap which would be much longer under PPG, but that's another story.

• Like 1

99% of teams would turn the restart to their advantage and come back strong relegating some other poor sucker. 

We are Aston Villa though.  Some kind of disaster will come out of this. 

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Got a sense of inevitability about it now, it's coming back no matter what 

Yeah, I've accepted it now having listened to that minister yesterday. The Government are obviously supportive of it and the moneymen want it to happen so it will. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I've accepted it now having listened to that minister yesterday. The Government are obviously supportive of it and the moneymen want it to happen so it will. 

Me too, only way to stay up now is to find a way to effectively win half 4 or 5 of the mickey mouse games which are approaching. Only positive is that it will also be a bit weird for the opposition teams but we have 100% lost any home advantage we had and as is apparent will be fielding a weakened 1st eleven too. Lets just hope Mr Grealish is not playing at 50% so as to avoid picking up a knock & missing out on his move!

Edited by danceoftheshamen