Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52726278

There were six positive tests for coronavirus across three Premier League clubs on Sunday and Monday, as the top flight prepares to resume in June.

so that's 3 matches affected presuming they are playing 3 different teams. or they are told to just treat as injuries

a part of me (wishing no ill against anyone) hopes that it's a high profile player, a sterling or salah perhaps. i think the premiership will care more about them than those at the bottom end

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52726278

so that's 3 matches affected presuming they are playing 3 different teams. or they are told to just treat as injuries

a part of me (wishing no ill against anyone) hopes that it's a high profile player, a sterling or salah perhaps. i think the premiership will care more about them than those at the bottom end

Not just the positive tests that are the problem. Presume those that they have come into contact with since the last test need to isolate now?

748 tests and 6 positive. So that's 500 squad players and 248 non-squad.....on average 25 squad players and 12 non-squad players per team.  That's not that many non-squad players per club considering who will be onsite, socially distancing but still in the vicinity of players during their isolated training.  Just thinking coaches, manager, trainers, medics, dr, and some facility staff ie security guards, cleaners (disinfecting equipment). 

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they restart until Liverpool win the league, and then end the season on points per game.

it wouldn't be the official line, but i definitely see there having to be a pause once the season starts due to an outbreak. if liverpool have won the league by that point, it's one less problem the PL have

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

748 tests and 6 positive. So that's 500 squad players and 248 non-squad.....on average 25 squad players and 12 non-squad players per team.  That's not that many non-squad players per club considering who will be onsite, socially distancing but still in the vicinity of players during their isolated training.  Just thinking coaches, manager, trainers, medics, dr, and some facility staff ie security guards, cleaners (disinfecting equipment). 

Its across three clubs and 19 clubs have been tested so 16 are virus free. 

Thinking of fixtures:is the PL supposedly trying to play two fixtures per week for every team? And when do we play our game in hand?

The game in hand is integral to our chances of staying up, it really needs to be played before any potential Lockdown#2 arrives...

• Like 2

On 18/05/2020 at 14:27, John said:

Yes, but promoting a club is a positive for them, whilst relegation is a very big negative. Neither has been earned or determined yet, so I wouldn't do either myself, when a season has not been fully completed. If one of them has to happen and the EFL are very vocal on this, then promoting a couple of clubs would be more widely accepted, than relegating a couple.  

I was thinking more of the chasing clubs outside of the 2 frontrunners. But I agree with you; I would not do either, given the choice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Brighton reported previously they had 3 cases so wonder if they are included

Imagine if they are all Brighton, has anybody read what they will do re football.  Obviously if people have the virus, those people and people who theyve been in contact with self quarantine but if a team is ravaged by something like this what happens?  I havent read anything yet.  I mean if it was Grealish, McGinn and another who are besties, they would just be a massive whole in our midfield because they would likely have the virus for some length of time.  Didnt Dybala have it in his system for two months before he started to get negative results (see link).  So essentially we could lose many key players for the completion of the season.  I assume they are just treating anything that happens as on the injury list, which would seem overly harsh especially depending on how many players it affected.

https://talksport.com/football/700319/paulo-dybala-juventus-forward-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-for-fourth-time-in-six-weeks/

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its across three clubs and 19 clubs have been tested so 16 are virus free. 

So almost 20% of clubs have virus infected player(s).

6 positive, that could be 1-1-4, so a club could have 4 players infected, potentially out for the rest of the season re my above Dybala story.  It'll be interesting to see who those players are.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So almost 20% of clubs have virus infected player(s).

6 positive, that could be 1-1-4, so a club could have 4 players infected, potentially out for the rest of the season re my above Dybala story.  It'll be interesting to see who those players are.

15.7% to be pedantic. We probably wont ever find out who the players are. It was widely expected that would be some that tested positive. If we do get a major outbreak at Villa or Brighton for example, the restart will have to be put back even further. If its a mid-table then who knows. It will still give some teams an unfair advantage. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That players can't play is normal in football. Should we cancel a season because players get injured as well? 

Not if its 2 or 3 at a club no but if you get 5 or 6 at one club then can it be continued.