Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Modern football in one tweet

All rocket polishers, would love them to go out of business.

I could live without football quite easily.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Lets put this into context.

Cancel the worlds biggest sporting event that was due to take place in July/August.

Play the Premier League out in June !!!!!

Thanks for that, bang on.

The season cannot be ended unless all have played the same amount of games, NO games will be played in the foreseeable future, it has to be declared null and void and start preparing for the future right now.

• Like 4

There is no future at the moment. No point making rash decisions. Just suspend all decision making until the summer. The Olympics and Wimbledon are totally different. With Wimbledon there is no window to delay. It’s June/July or never 

3 hours ago, sne said:

And now the TV money is drying up. The leagues and clubs simply have to finish their commitment to the broadcasting companies that hold the TV rights.

If they don't it will all implode. And I honestly hope it does.

I agree. What I'd like to know is how much does TV money add to the price of a pint? I don't just mean when a match is on, I mean in any pub that's bought TV rights. 

Funny how a pint of Bud Light is only £1.99 in wetherspoon's, whereas it can be upwards of £4 in some pubs. 

All going to players and agents more than anything else, as others have pointed out. 

Maybe there should be some sort of independent body that players could use to negotiate contracts, instead of them using agents, it's ridiculous in this day and age. Clubs just let agents con them out of millions, it's weird. 

And surely a salary cap for players is long overdue? At least for European clubs, I mean. 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

People are starting to point the finger at Premier Clubs, particularly those that have furloughed none playing staff, that’s Newcastle, Norwich and Spurs. I think it is the Mayor of London who asked of Spurs, how can an club owned by a man worth £4bn, that made £68m last year, paid it’s chairman £7m and pays its players on average £70k a week, be asking the tax player to cover its back room staff wages?

It’s clearly morally wrong. However I have some sympathy for clubs because as we all know the vast majority of the money is sucked out of the game by players and their agents. Additionally any philanthropy from rich owners is stymied by the ridiculous not fit for purpose FFP rules. 

Broadcasters and administrators are looking equally shameful as the clubs. No one at the upper level of the football industry can see past the dosh. A defining time for the world’s greatest game that at the moment isn’t looking particularly good.

Whilst thousands are ill and dying and ordinary people are making extraordinarily efforts to try to get through this, football’s response so far has been to protect the flow of Champagne and stuff the rest of us. 

I agree 99.9% with the above.:thumb:  I just haven't got any sympathy whatsoever to spare for the PL clubs myself.    

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, PaulC said:

There is no future at the moment. No point making rash decisions. Just suspend all decision making until the summer. The Olympics and Wimbledon are totally different. With Wimbledon there is no window to delay. It’s June/July or never 

I'd be more then happy to be rash and end it now.

• Haha 1

Cocerning italy (and us further down the line), how can a country hope to plan football after such an isolation period?

Surly the whole point of such a thing is to hopefully stop a good percentage of the country getting the virus.

However the virus is still about, once these non infected enter back to normality they will have another burst of casualties.....it would seem to be the whole point of this method of control.

Just how can you hope to plan anything in this situation?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Surly the whole point of such a thing is to hopefully stop a good percentage of the country getting the virus.

The point is simply to slow the spread, so that hospitals can cope with vulnerable people and not (touch wood) exceed capacity. 

The only way we can overcome this bat virus is through herd immunity. 

A vaccine will take 12-18 months, unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

With all of the crap of the Premier League clubs hanging there staff out to dry and laying them off etc, I thought this was a rather pertinent tweet from Steve Froggatt.

What’s going on Sums up the modern day game really.

Looking at hockey some players made a pool in NHL so the staff dont lose jobs because of this. I know some clubs like Leeds have done it but a disgrace some clubs aren't helping. 

I like to think we have good characters like Heaton, Mings and Reina to help our staff out. Maybe they have and dont want publicity 

In Tottenham’s defence, even if the owner put in money to cover all salaries that would screw them on FFP as his money wouldn’t count on income but the salaries would count as an expense - right? FFP has to go...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

In Tottenham’s defence, even if the owner put in money to cover all salaries that would screw them on FFP as his money wouldn’t count on income but the salaries would count as an expense - right? FFP has to go...

But surely they could waive this? The whole thing stinks tbh

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

But surely they could waive this? The whole thing stinks tbh

Who could waive it? The FA? I agree they should. Also not saying the players shouldn’t be taking a paycut to support the other staff, I think they should, but I just mean I think it’s not as easy as “they have a rich owner”... and not like he can even pay them on the side (taxes) or some up with some other creative way (see what happened to Saracens on salary cap - rightly of course!)... the rules literally say you shouldn’t pay wages beyond what your income allows, and they don’t have any income...

Player's salaries are already a disgrace. Do they really want to lose any of the minimal respect they already have. Players, managers, coaching staff - do something to alleviate the financial problems faced by back room staff and lower league clubs.

Don't be such greedy bastards. You all have plenty. More than any of you are really worth.

• Like 1