Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 minutes ago, useless said:

It won't be as easy for the English league to do as is being done in Belgium, if we were to just promote Leeds and Albion based on an incomplete season then the likes of Fulham would make a big deal about it, just deciding that they won't be promoted based on an incomplete season would be no better than relegating us based on an incomplete season.

yep, the 2 teams at the top of the 2nd tier in Belgium have already secured promotion

and it will no doubt be worthwhile to them but its not like its the same jump in finances as the PL, the PL treasure chest is worth getting your lawyers new suits for

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, useless said:

It won't be as easy for the English league to do as is being done in Belgium, if we were to just promote Leeds and Albion based on an incomplete season then the likes of Fulham would make a big deal about it, just deciding that they won't be promoted based on an incomplete season would be no better than relegating us based on an incomplete season.

Yes of course but if you cant complete the season you have to decide on what is fairest. They have all played 37 games out of 46 and are 6 pts adrift, we have played one games less than the rest and are 2 pts adrift. So more unfair to relegate us than not promote Fulham. 

32 minutes ago, useless said:

As I understand it (insofar as reading on here) the Premier League is its own entity made up of member clubs and promotion is basically an invitation to the top 3 (or 5th placed 😉) Championship clubs to join next season, whilst letting go of its bottom 3 teams. In that case, isn't it basically **** all to do with the EFL who is invited, apart from by convention, and the PL could (have) expanded at any time it wished?

For what it's worth, I don't much care if and who would be promoted as the additional teams as long as Villa aren't relegated. I'd rather stick to 20 PL clubs and it would also be slightly unfair on the likes of Forest, since Leeds are/were still bound to collapse, but this would probably be the "least worse" resolution. Furthermore, an expanded PL for one or (probably) two seasons may be a sweetener for the TV companies to show extra fixtures instead of the lost ones if (when) this season is cancelled.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

I think finishing the season now seems the best solution. Bonuses will be paid put too which will help clubs lower down.

Of course the best solution and the solution that brings in the most money for the hierarchy are rarely the same....guess which one we will get!

Just a comment on the greed of the Premier League clubs.

33% of the clubs are actually loosing money as it is. Many clubs show a profit, but some of them only show a profit because their assets have a value. Those assets are mainly their squads. But if less money is paid into football, the value of their squads are reduced as well, because other clubs can't afford to pay the asking prices.

In our society very few have enough money to pay for future expenses, as they plan to cover those with future income. If future income suddenly goes down to zero, then there is trouble. So I think greed maybe isn't the right word. I think panic is a better word. I'm sure the moral compass of everyone in football isn't completly broken, it's just that their survival depends on getting the cash in.

I'm quite sure that everyone would think voiding the season would be the best idea as long as the Premier League itself went and borrowed the money and gave it to the clubs as they would have done if this season was a normal season. Then they could repay that loan by a slight decrease in TV money for the next few years, which all clubs probably would be able to adjust for. Then all what was lost was income from 4-5 home games and that's that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

I really hope the shit sticks to those in the football world (and everywhere else) who stand out with their greed, hypocrisy and lack of compassion during all this.

Sadly it probably won't for the most part but one can hope.

Indeed. And let's not forget the banks, many of whom are sitting on Government money (our money) intended to be used to keep the workforce working, but offering loans of that money at exorbitant interest rates and asking employers to put up their houses as surety.

Just as bad as the money-grabbing rich clubs using that same money (our money) to pay wages while players, managers, etc., continue to earn the eye-watering amounts of salaries beyond the comprehension of the rest of us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

yep, the 2 teams at the top of the 2nd tier in Belgium have already secured promotion

and it will no doubt be worthwhile to them but its not like its the same jump in finances as the PL, the PL treasure chest is worth getting your lawyers new suits for

That’s not true.

The Belgian league has decided on the champion and european tickets, but there is still a discussion to be had about relegation.

The promotion from second tier is decided in a 2 game play-off final, of which the first leg has been played. They will now look if they will play the second leg in june, promote both teams or neither.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Belgian league takes a sensible, pragmatic step. Good on them for not relegating but choosing rather to expand the league next season.

But surely that is unfair on the teams competing to be promoted from the second tier.

I think it is a very poor decision and I hope we do not follow suit. Voiding is the only fair solution.

FIFA are meeting tomorrow to decide if possible contracts and loans be extended past June 30th. 

Not sure if its legal but hope not, otherwise we are stuck with Danny **** Drinkwater 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I guess the carrot dangled to likes of Fulham, Brentford Forest would be still three promotion spots in play next season and no teams coming down from premier league with parachute payments (and getting Leeds and WBA out of the way who'd both be challenging again for top 6 if they messed up the run in).

So pretty much the best ever chance for most championship clubs to get promoted for one special case year before it all reverts back to normal(although that would be double edge sword considering the ones not under FFP sanctions would spend even more ridiculous money to try to get up).

I actually didn't mind the idea when it was first floated a few weeks ago. I also remember them asking Paul Barber of Brighton and he didn't exactly dismiss the proposal so I reckon it might be pushed if they can't finish the season within reasonable timeframe.

There is no fair proposal going forward really. If all games are BCD for forseeable future and the season gets re-started then I think we'd have played fewer home games infront of a crowd than any other relegation rival given the spare game v Sheffield.

And obviously voiding the season also hurts all the teams trying to get up.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

FIFA are meeting tomorrow to decide if possible contracts and loans be extended past June 30th. 

I look forward to FIFA attempting to enforce their decision over the different employment laws in each of the 221 nations with football associations they oversee!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

What's the fairest?

1. Complete the season 

2. Cancel the season but let the results stand, no teams relegated, Leeds and West Brom promoted

3 season cancelled results and positinns stand

4 season voided, all stats wiped off the record 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

1. Complete the season 

2. Cancel the season but let the results stand, no teams relegated, Leeds and West Brom promoted

3 season cancelled results and positinns stand

4 season voided, all stats wiped off the record 

No. 4 is the only viable option. No. 2 can't happen as not all teams on same amount of games

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

No. 4 is the only viable option. No. 2 can't happen as not all teams on same amount of games

Of course no 2 can happen as villa stay up. The only issue is shef united but that can be sorted 

Number 2 works with the exception of Fulham and Sheffield United. 

You'd also need teams to agree to four teams relegated for each of the next two seasons, with the remaining teams picking up the bill for the additional parachute payments.

I think of the four options it's the most workable.

• Like 1