Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

It means the 3 divisions below need to be finished as well, behind closed doors will kill a lot of them clubs

Think we'll have live football at 12 , 3 , 6 and 9. Different divisions loads of platforms. Bit like when amazon had all games on at once.

I think this is awful btw, both on footballing, moral and healthcare grounds.

I know it makes no sense but I can see the govt using it as some type of national morale boost when we enter lockdown week 12. 

28 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Beyond all of the other challenges, the mandatory requirement for paramedics to be on standby makes the possibility of football resuming seemingly impossible.

Theres no way anyone can justify diverting even one ambulance or one paramedic away from more pressing issues for a football match, let alone the full remaining schedule.

This season is finished.

Has been for ages. Absolutely no question. They can tag it onto the start of the next one, next year, if they want.

23 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Has been for ages. Absolutely no question. They can tag it onto the start of the next one, next year, if they want.

No point damaging two seasons, has to be voided, tough shit to those who lose out. 

Same teams in all competitions and reset, literally the fairest way despite the inevitable protests from the those afflicted by it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Spurs have announced a 20% pay cut for their non-playing staff and put them all on furlough, which pretty much means the taxpayer is paying them and Spurs won't be putting in a penny and I'd expect that to be replicated across the country. It might be a bit of a race - with a three week minimum furlough, they'll want to get it done quickly so that they can keep alive their dream to play their "bubble games" for TV money.

Newcastle have done the same and Norwich are next in line. Not a good look for PL clubs is it?

Stop paying the low earners and take advantage of something that was put in place to protect jobs, to save themselves a few quid, at the taxpayers expense, rather than take a small hit themselves. It makes sense for smaller clubs in lower divisions, that will struggle to pay their bills and cover staff wages, due to league games being cancelled, but Spurs & Newcastle?

Levy and Ashley, unsurprisingly are just taking advantage of the situation to line their pockets. They along with their clubs have no shame do they? That's why they will also favour any way of finishing this season, that will not lose them their previous television money, at whatever costs to anyone else! 😠

• Like 2

I read earlier today out the London Mayor writing a letter to the major eight clubs in London in order to use their stadium, equipment, doctors and much more to help the battle against Covid-19.

If that's correct then this is big and we won't see football anytime soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

Newcastle have done the same and Norwich are next in line. Not a good look for PL clubs is it?

Stop paying the low earners and take advantage of something that was put in place to protect jobs, to save themselves a few quid, at the taxpayers expense, rather than take a small hit themselves. It makes sense for smaller clubs in lower divisions, that will struggle to pay their bills and cover staff wages, due to league games being cancelled, but Spurs & Newcastle?

Levy and Ashley, unsurprisingly are just taking advantage of the situation to line their pockets. They along with their clubs have no shame do they? That's why they will also favour any way of finishing this season, that will not lose them their previous television money, at whatever costs to anyone else! 😠

Yes it’s fundamentally wrong when Barcelona have agreed to a 70% cut and the players will pay the shortfall for staff members so they don’t sufffer. Shame on Spurs and Newcastle 

• Like 3

National league is now suspended indefinitely, everything below has been cancelled. Scotland's leagues thinks it is highly unlikely that they will restart.  It's collapsing like a pack of cards, this season will have to be voided and next season could also be heavily impacted. They are just going through the motions of thinking of unrealistic ways of finishing this season so they can still keep the tv money. Next few weeks they will realise that this is practically impossible. 

This thread suggests the severity of the situation hasn’t fully hit home to some ( including the Premier League).

Its similar to people posting the latest number of deaths and getting reactions of surprise, when actually the numbers are at present fairly predictable.

The disease is being tackled, but to misquote Churchill, “ this is not the End, nor the beginning of the End, nor even the End of the beginning”.

There will be no football for months. I wonder when the last person will come to this conclusion...maybe only when it’s formally announced ?

David Conn had an interesting piece about UEFA’s position (which is looking more perilous) in the Guardian. It will shift towards voiding seasons - they are gradually shifting their tone publicly towards it. Especially when for many players outside the Premier League bubble and the top tier of some of the European elites, wages for players are far lower, and they will want to protect their earnings, and that of non-playing staff.

Football can be suspeneded for as long as it takes, but that doesn't mean to say that this season is just going to be voided. The rest of the season will either be played eventually, or the tables as they stand now will be taken as the final standings, meaning those in the relegation places come down and those in the automatic places go up. I think the most likely scenario is the games eventually going ahead, even if they have to be tacked on to the beginning of next season as it were, when they've been played and the promotion and relegation issues have been sorted you could have a sort of mini pre-season and then begin next season proper.

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

We need to reduce the amount of games next season not increase them. So no way could we have a 42 game season. 

But by playing these remaining games late means effectively it will extend next season to 47 games anyway doesn't it? As well as not give a fair reflection if all played behind closed doors meaning we lose home advantage effectively for 5 of those games.

That's without the disgraceful aspect of actually playing them whilst this pandemic is killing tens of thousands & is likely to kill hundreds of thousands if not millions. I note Pepe Reina is now also saying it should be stopped having experienced it first hand.

7 hours ago, useless said:

Football can be suspeneded for as long as it takes, but that doesn't mean to say that this season is just going to be voided. The rest of the season will either be played eventually, or the tables as they stand now will be taken as the final standings, meaning those in the relegation places come down and those in the automatic places go up. I think the most likely scenario is the games eventually going ahead, even if they have to be tacked on to the beginning of next season as it were, when they've been played and the promotion and relegation issues have been sorted you could have a sort of mini pre-season and then begin next season proper.

They can't just finish the season later. This has been covered repeatedly, but after the end of June there is a whole new layer of complexity with player and sponsorship contracts ending. Playing games after that date, with different squads, is not the same season. I appreciate your feeling that the leagues are desperate to finish any how possible, but there needs to be some discussion of how to solve these problems rather than just stating "games will eventually go ahead".

As for declaring the current standings as the finish, that is highly more probable than completing the season (since I consider the latter to be impossible), although there is the added difficulty of games in hand having a big impact on important league positions, not to mention the "integrity of the competition" that, well, hasn't been completed and therefore isn't a fair reflection of all teams playing each other home and away.

14 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

I think they'll end up finishing it behind closed doors in June. A ridiculous decision purely based on cash. Will screw those coming up and those going down. 

I think there'll be increased parachute payments to get everyone to agree. A bit like Fifa "donated" money to IFA to build the Aviva after Henry's handball. 

It's FAI unless you're suggesting that the FA which runs football in Northern Ireland (IFA) or indeed the Irish Farmers Association (also IFA) built the Aviva. Of those three organisations I would suggest the last one is the most competent and most capable of efficiently building something. 

• Haha 1

Players' contracts ending doesn't have to stop the season restarting at a later date, clubs change their squads by buying and selling players every January, but it's still the same season. Completeing the season with slightly different squads will be seen as much fairer than just voiding the season or just relegating the current bottom three.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Players' contracts ending doesn't have to stop the season restarting at a later date, clubs change their squads by buying and selling players every January, but it's still the same season. Completeing the season with slightly different squads will be seen as much fairer than just voiding the season or just relegating the current bottom three.

The January transfer window is part of the season, to tweak squads. The summer transfer window is for building a squad for the new season. There's a reason that clubs voted to end transfers before fixtures started (even if this rule is reverting?). What about the bi-seasonal 25 man squad registration? If the transfer windows didn't exist like in the past then yes it could be the same season.

Well this is exceptional circumstances so clubs will have to make comprimiseszeses. I think people need to forget the idea that season is just going to be voided and we will be saved from relegation, we're either going to have play the games, or brace ourselves for the tables as they stand now being declared as the final tables for this season which is unfair but most see that as being fairer than just forgetting the 29 games that have already been played.

12 minutes ago, useless said:

Well this is exceptional circumstances so clubs will have to make comprimiseszeses. I think people need to forget the idea that season is just going to be voided and we will be saved from relegation, we're either going to have play the games, or brace ourselves for the tables as they stand now being declared as the final tables for this season which is unfair but most see that as being fairer than just forgetting the 29 games that have already been played.

I'm not even considering it as a Villa problem and being "saved" (or not) from relegation, I'm looking purely at the practicalities of finishing this season, and as far as I can tell it's simply impossible. The onus should be on to propose how the season can be finished fairly and on time, rather than the other way around.