Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

23 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Well next time there’s a global pandemic, let’s just hope it kicks in during pre season and we’ll be runners up to Arsenal and straight into the Champs League.

Well during the last global pandemic we were the pre eminent team in England, so there is a chance. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

They could do that and villa and shef united given a point each to make the games played level 

No way will they do that.  We might win our game in hand.  It would open them up to all sorts of legal issues with us and from teams 2nd - 8th in The Championship.  The least dangerous way forward is to void it.  People might try to sue but would have significantly less chance of success. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Well next time there’s a global pandemic, let’s just hope it kicks in during pre season and we’ll be runners up to Arsenal and straight into the Champs League.

Imagine if this had happened in March 2016!

Mind you wouldn't have been so good for me as I was on a stage do in Barca that month.

Edited by VillaChris

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

The only reason that football should return in this dangerous time is to give lower league clubs the chance to survive with gate receipt money!

Playing behind closed doors has no point other than keeping the premier league money men happy.

Its unethical and to use their own terms against the 'integrity' of the real game!

You think it’s more important for crappy little lower league teams to survive than human beings? No way should people be congregating anywhere until this thing has been controlled. That is months and months away. If football teams die in the meantime then so be it.

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

You think it’s more important for crappy little lower league teams to survive than human beings? No way should people be congregating anywhere until this thing has been controlled. That is months and months away. If football teams die in the meantime then so be it.

I didnt say it should return before time, rather that if it did it shouldn't be dictated by fat cats.

I think the only reason it should return is because it’s safe to do so but I think when it does return it’s going to have to be empty stadiums and that doesn’t work because people decide to congregate outside or go to pubs then just cancel the whole thing. Anyway pubs won’t be allowed to show it.

Many clubs will probably go under and if they don’t they will have to go semi-pro 

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Latest government briefing says this could last for at upto six months and then social distancing can be reduced.

Why aren't they cancelling and voiding this season?

There is around 750 millions reasons , which according to the latest news are repayable if the league isn't finished by the 12th July 

Also the lower leagues where cancelled and void and 66 teams are all complained to the FA today 

14 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Latest government briefing says this could last for at upto six months and then social distancing can be reduced.

If they void it now there’s no going back so best to wait and see really. If things haven’t improved by July then look at it again. I don’t see how any major sporting decisions can be made until things have improved 

The only way this season won’t be finished is if the delay is so long that it starts to impact the new season. Losing £750,000,000 is bad but not as bad as losing £3,000,000,000 if the new season is impacted. I suspect some but not all of the loses will be covered by insurance anyway. The prem will be desperate that next season runs normally to protect next years income after this massive upheaval.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

The super rich always come out of these things better.   Warren Buffet always says the time to buy shares is when everyone else is running away from them, as long as the company is a good one, they will get back eventually.  

They are probably buying every Adidas share right now they can get their hands on. 

My company sells me shares as a % of my salary.  I usually buy 1% but I have upped it to 4% for the next quarter.  It might take a year or so to get back to pre virus levels but they WILL rise substantially from where they are now after the initial virus shut down finishes. 

If you have the wealth to see it out you will probably do well out of all this, the stock market is ripe for plundering at these levels. 

Absolutely right.

29 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I have changed to bold the key word in your post. It is also possible that restrictions are gradually lifted (even if only enough to play behind closed doors with players, staff and officials that have tested negative or immune), in June which could permit the remaining games being played before late July, therefore having little or no effect on the 20/21 season. 

In any case, there currently still seems to be a desire amongst many with football influence to play the remaining games whenever they can be played, even if that impacts heavily on next ‘season’ and the format that takes.

Time will tell. It could be the PL is simply waiting for the government to confirm restrictions past the end of May before voiding the remaining games and effectively the 19/20 season., although I currently think we will need to play our remaining games at some point.

56 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Are you talking about the one from yesterday or has something new come out?

A really important meeting today between the Leagues and the Players Union - they'll be talking through wage deferrals - the clubs will want players to take a wage cut to help see them through this time of no income and the PFA is arguing against that - it'll be interesting to see where it settles - if the players are forced into a big wage drop for a period, I wonder how keen they'll be to help play behind closed doors before the rest of the world is back to work?

So, Sky and BT aren't going to pay up anything because there's no football and it doesn't matter if the game relies on the money, as far as their shareholders are concerned - if there's no show, there's no dough.

The clubs aren't prepared to just live with the loss of income, FFP means they are absolutely driven to keep that profit and loss line healthy and there's been nothing yet from FIFA to absolve them of that responsibility.

The PFA doesn't want players wages cut and will be fighting that today - it's not easy to exist on a few thousand pounds a day in these difficult times.

Spurs have announced a 20% pay cut for their non-playing staff and put them all on furlough, which pretty much means the taxpayer is paying them and Spurs won't be putting in a penny and I'd expect that to be replicated across the country. It might be a bit of a race - with a three week minimum furlough, they'll want to get it done quickly so that they can keep alive their dream to play their "bubble games" for TV money.

That just leaves one group - supporters. I wouldn't expect the FSA will be getting a meeting to negotiate any time soon, I'm not at all confident that there will be any compensation for the missed games on this years season tickets and I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised to see next seasons tickets have a price hike to make up some of the shortfall.

It rolls downhill apparently.

If the absolutely ridiculously paid players can't take a wage cut in this world wide pandemic with a likely recession, then get ****. If they actually complain about that, when they make weekly (if not way more) what a normal bloke earns in a year. Sweet jesus. PFA get a beating. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am pretty sure the PFA are fighting more for the players in the lower leagues compared to your Sergio Agueros and Mo Salahs taking a paycut

Yeah, in fairness that's true - lower league money isn't bad (League 1 avg is about £70k and League 2 is about £40k), so more than the average person makes - but it's nothing like the money they make in the top two divisions.

I don't care if we get relegated, but there's no way they should try to finish off this season. It's just unfathomable levels of greed to try and recoup TV money while there's a global pandemic. And that's before we even get into how by the time the season is restarted, it would cease to be the same season for all intents and purposes. Players not match fit, teams decimated by either the virus or injuries, contracts expiring mid season etc. Just give Liverpool the title and start a new season after lockdown. If that means we get relegated, so be it.