Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I'm still not convinced the TV companies will demand all their money.   If they take them to the cleaners over this they had better watch their backs when the next TV rights come up for review.  BT would no doubt like to expand what they have and minimum retain their place.  Amazon are already muscling in.  There are no end of pay TV companies around now looking for an edge. 

Without the Premier league Sky Sports have no businesses model, their revenue would fall off a cliff.   I would be amazed if they took the piss even if the contract says they can. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I'm still not convinced the TV companies will demand all their money.   If they take them to the cleaners over this they had better watch their backs when the next TV rights come up for review.  BT would no doubt like to expand what they have and minimum retain their place.  Amazon are already muscling in.  There are no end of pay TV companies around now looking for an edge. 

Without the Premier league Sky Sports have no businesses model, their revenue would fall off a cliff.   I would be amazed if they took the piss even if the contract says they can. 

Netflix and even Disney too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Netflix and even Disney too.

Yes, and Apple.  There will be some real giants sniffing about if the incumbents mess this up. 

The league themselves have been talking about owning, producing and distributing the TV rights and content - essentially becoming the TV provider. 

It might be the case that Sky and BT know this is the last big deal and are looking at ways to mitigate wherever possible.

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This is what I think too, I think there'll be some kind of deal struck like the companies getting their contracts extended in exchange for not kicking up a fuss, they'll take the hit and move on to next year. A £700m hit sounds a lot, but when they make billions every year from the football they won't want to piss off the people who decide who gets those contracts with more and more emerging rivals as you say 

• Like 1

On 30/03/2020 at 17:33, useless said:

Well they'll just finish it when they can, it's not going to go away, at some point one way or another we're going to have to play the games. Even if they did decide to offically end the season now, I think they'd be much more likely to take the table as it stands as the final table and relegate those in the bottom three, than just voiding the whole season and discounting what's already happened, most neutral fans seem to be of the opinion that that's the fairest solution, if we were midtable I'm sure a lot of Villa fans would be saying the same thing.

Most neutral fans are not in the bottom 3 or top 4, So it makes no difference to them or the fate of their football club

Which rather makes my point for me, they're not biased either way, most of them see ending the season now and relegating the bottom three as a much fairer option than than just cancelling the season and forgetting about the 29 games already played. To be honest I've looked on forums of other teams battling relegation and there's nowhere as near as much talk of the season being  voided as there is on here, it's being talked about as a possibility, but there's not the same desperation for it to happen.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

I think they'll end up finishing it behind closed doors in June. A ridiculous decision purely based on cash. Will screw those coming up and those going down. 

I think there'll be increased parachute payments to get everyone to agree. A bit like Fifa "donated" money to IFA to build the Aviva after Henry's handball. 

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Which rather makes my point for me, they're not biased either way, most of them see ending the season now and relegating the bottom three as a much fairer option than than just cancelling the season and forgetting about the 29 games already played. To be honest I've looked on forums of other teams battling relegation and there's nowhere as near as much talk of the season being  voided as there is on here, it's being talked about as a possibility, but there's not the same desperation for it to happen.

maybe people on here are more sensible and realise that some things are more important than premier league ;) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

I think they'll end up finishing it behind closed doors in June. A ridiculous decision purely based on cash. Will screw those coming up and those going down. 

I think there'll be increased parachute payments to get everyone to agree. A bit like Fifa "donated" money to IFA to build the Aviva after Henry's handball. 

It means the 3 divisions below need to be finished as well, behind closed doors will kill a lot of them clubs

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It means the 3 divisions below need to be finished as well, behind closed doors will kill a lot of them clubs

Think we'll have live football at 12 , 3 , 6 and 9. Different divisions leads of platforms. Bit like when amazon had all games on at once.

I think this is awful btw. Having an empty villa park cant be considered home advantage. 

Makes a mockery of football if theres no fans. 

There’s no precedent for this is there. World war 2 season must have been just under way when it was cancelled, now 3 quarters of the season has been completed so if the season can’t be completed should it be voided or just cancelled and positions stand. Both are unfair but it does seem simpler if it was just cancelled. 

I would challenge the plan to complete in weeks, if I were most of the clubs.

At the end of the day playing that many games in a short period of time would GREATLY benefit teams with a strong squad and lots of players, add this to the fact 90% of teams didn't build their recruitment around needing to be able to play 3 games a week pretty much.

Especially unfair for us as we only just have a first 11 that isnt complete gash  :)

The new "plan" would effectively punish most new teams to the prem as they haven't had the time or financial freedom to build a good squad.

(Clutching at straws I know.....)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaulC said:

There’s no precedent for this is there. World war 2 season must have been just under way when it was cancelled, now 3 quarters of the season has been completed so if the season can’t be completed should it be voided or just cancelled and positions stand. Both are unfair but it does seem simpler if it was just cancelled. 

It happened in Italy in World War 1 and federation gave the title to the team in 3rd place. Lazio were also close to winning the league that season as well as this one

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

I think they'll end up finishing it behind closed doors in June.

No way will the Government 2 months from now be allowing 22 men to bash onto each other, get in each other faces and generally get into close quarters contact along with associated support and medical teams with a shed load of ambulances on standby. The danger fans will turn up regardless.  

They MAY have just let us out of our houses by then, but possibly not and 2m social distancing is with us for 6 months for sure. 

• Like 1

Cancelling or voiding the season is inevitable....death rates are going up and this curve is only beginning unfortunately.

Only yesterday we were told this could last for six months and then after social distancing measures would be reduced.

Think the PL would rather lose this season than potentially gambling on losing next season aswell.

All other major sporting events are going or have gone already, just Wimbledon this week. What else over the next week or two?

I wholeheartedly agree with the letter sent by Maidstone to the FA which was in the BM earlier.

No relegations for any division as the last thing we need is more negativity being put on people at this time.. especially as it would be unjust etc.

Decide all Euro places, promotions & titles on an average PPG based on the season thus far and promote all the teams who qualify thus having slightly larger divisions for a few years.

Then relegate one extra team for the next few seasons until the levels are restored or just leave them as is.

Apparently Maidstone wrote a letter to that effect. It's Simple, sorts all the issues in the least disruptive way and gives parity across all levels of football whilst ceasing the season so we all know where we stand.

I truly believe we should all get behind this.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I wholeheartedly agree with the letter sent by Maidstone to the FA which was in the BM earlier.

No relegations for any division as the last thing we need is more negativity being put on people at this time.. especially as it would be unjust etc.

Decide all Euro places, promotions & titles on an average PPG based on the season thus far and promote all the teams who qualify thus having slightly larger divisions for a few years.

Then relegate one extra team for the next few seasons until the levels are restored or just leave them as is.

Apparently Maidstone wrote a letter to that effect. It's Simple, sorts all the issues in the least disruptive way and gives parity across all levels of football whilst ceasing the season so we all know where we stand.

I truly believe we should all get behind this.

We need to reduce the amount of games next season not increase them. So no way could we have a 42 game season. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

We need to reduce the amount of games next season not increase them. So no way could we have a 42 game season. 

Could if we didnt play the cups.