Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Putting football back on in any shape and form and then not expecting fans to congregate in some place or other - is a bit self defeating. That said, I can see the value in having some sport for the country to watch during lock down. 

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Putting football back on in any shape and form and then not expecting fans to congregate in some place or other - is a bit self defeating. That said, I can see the value in having some sport for the country to watch during lock down. 

Yep even behind closed doors, Liverpool fans are going to gather to celebrate winning the league as has been 30 years. This will need police and maybe medical staff off the front line

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Put on golf.  Lasts 4 days and nobody is going to gather outside the course for that.  At least it will be something to watch

Wonder if anyone have floated the idea of flying all the teams out to Qatar and play the remainder of the season there in those of the 2022 WC stadiums that have been finished?

Wouldn't even be surprised if they are looking at a solution like that.

Have now totally lost any interest in this season footballing wise. It really does show up the Premier League bosses for what they truly are with the way they're trying to force it through despite everything & i think i would actually feel quite sick to my stomach with disgust watching some pathetic, staged, behind closed doors mickey mouse football going on whilst everyone else was out there amidst all the suffering & death. 

It would of course be a bonus if we somehow come out of it all still as a Premier League team although i have no doubt the Premier League will find a way to relegate us one way or another (unless we did play the games & somehow managed to work out how to defend our goal better which i think we all know won't happen). Frankly this & the reports today of how they think FFP is doing well, has truly shown football to be the rigged, biased farce i was beginning to think it was anyways.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

This won’t happen for a variety of reasons. Imagine if there is a second strain of this virus next season and a club has spent way over the means trying to get promotion or top 4 etc (very possible) but gamble on receiving TV money etc to keep them going.. football stops again - next season declared void, big debt left on club. I hate FFP and it clearly isn’t fit for purpose but for now it may actually be a saviour for some..

With our owners there will be no problems with debt. They have literally billions. Only problems with accounting regards FFP. 

59 minutes ago, meregreen said:

With our owners there will be no problems with debt. They have literally billions. Only problems with accounting regards FFP. 

But our owners might be having trouble themselves. They don't have their fortune in cash. The Adidas share price has gone down by 22% since three weeks ago.

They might not have £100m in cash lying around to invest in us. 

I hope they do, as I'm sure there will be many possible bargains this summer as a lot of clubs will be short of cash. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

But our owners might be having trouble themselves. They don't have their fortune in cash. The Adidas share price has gone down by 22% since three weeks ago.

The super rich always come out of these things better.   Warren Buffet always says the time to buy shares is when everyone else is running away from them, as long as the company is a good one, they will get back eventually.  

They are probably buying every Adidas share right now they can get their hands on. 

My company sells me shares as a % of my salary.  I usually buy 1% but I have upped it to 4% for the next quarter.  It might take a year or so to get back to pre virus levels but they WILL rise substantially from where they are now after the initial virus shut down finishes. 

If you have the wealth to see it out you will probably do well out of all this, the stock market is ripe for plundering at these levels. 

• Like 2

For me it’s no longer important whether we stay up or go down. This thing is not going anywhere and I can’t see how next season will get under way. Japan has a grip on it now it’s back. 

3 hours ago, sne said:

Wonder if anyone have floated the idea of flying all the teams out to Qatar and play the remainder of the season there in those of the 2022 WC stadiums that have been finished?

Wouldn't even be surprised if they are looking at a solution like that.

I suggested an end of season tournament but my location was Saudi Arabia 😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jareth said:

That said, I can see the value in having some sport for the country to watch during lock down. 

Not me....that could tip me over the edge!

• Haha 1

If playing just one game of football, increases the risk of someone contracting or spreading this disease, even by a small percentage. Then that game of bloody football is simply not played. That’s it, debate over.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

According to the article Government wants football played if there's still a lockdown within that period.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-premier-league-isolated-camps-remaining-fixtures-dates-suspension-latest-a9432961.html

It's still very unlikely though.

The only reason that football should return in this dangerous time is to give lower league clubs the chance to survive with gate receipt money!

Playing behind closed doors has no point other than keeping the premier league money men happy.

Its unethical and to use their own terms against the 'integrity' of the real game!

I've looked around on other forums and it seems it's only Villa fans that are desperate for the season to be voided, or see it as the only option, I don't think there's any chance of it happening, they'll play the remainder of the games when they can, even  if it means finishing this current season in August and delaying the start of next season for a month or so, if need be they could suspend all cup competitions for a year, if they're worried about players getting fatigued. If we're to stay up we're going to have to earn it, whenever things get going again.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, useless said:

even  if it means finishing this current season in August and delaying the start of next season for a month or so

There are no guarantees for things to improve in August or even October

53 minutes ago, useless said:

I've looked around on other forums and it seems it's only Villa fans that are desperate for the season to be voided, or see it as the only option, I don't think there's any chance of it happening, they'll play the remainder of the games when they can, even  if it means finishing this current season in August and delaying the start of next season for a month or so, if need be they could suspend all cup competitions for a year, if they're worried about players getting fatigued. If we're to stay up we're going to have to earn it, whenever things get going again.

Standards are obviously lower on other forums 😉

But seriously, I'm trying not to be biased when I come to this conclusion (clearly impossible, but anyway), but there is just no reasonable, practical, sensible or safe way to finish this season, especially without impacting the following season even more than this one.

Edited by fightoffyour

Well they'll just finish it when they can, it's not going to go away, at some point one way or another we're going to have to play the games. Even if they did decide to offically end the season now, I think they'd be much more likely to take the table as it stands as the final table and relegate those in the bottom three, than just voiding the whole season and discounting what's already happened, most neutral fans seem to be of the opinion that that's the fairest solution, if we were midtable I'm sure a lot of Villa fans would be saying the same thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meregreen said:

FFP was already on its last legs. It’s finished now.

42 minutes ago, useless said:

Well they'll just finish it when they can, it's not going to go away, at some point one way or another we're going to have to play the games. Even if they did decide to offically end the season now, I think they'd be much more likely to take the table as it stands as the final table and relegate those in the bottom three, than just voiding the whole season and discounting what's already happened, most neutral fans seem to be of the opinion that that's the fairest solution, if we were midtable I'm sure a lot of Villa fans would be saying the same thing.

They could do that and villa and shef united given a point each to make the games played level 

Well next time there’s a global pandemic, let’s just hope it kicks in during pre season and we’ll be runners up to Arsenal and straight into the Champs League.

Edited by Wainy316