Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think they\re ready tp accept that - they're trying to come up with a solution that allows for the production of some sort of TV that me, you and a bloke in Korea will pay to watch. 

These times are an excellent example of how what we follow isn't a sport - it's a TV show.

I'm sure they are still trying to find a solution, but I think they are putting even more work into trying to find a loophole in where they end up not having to repay too much TV-money back when it does get cancelled.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think they are fast  coming to the conclusion that either they try and re start this season in  late summer which will massively impact 20-21, or to void the season and start afresh hopefully around September time. 2020-21 has no wiggle room as the euros will now take place in summer 2021. Even if they play behind closed doors I can't see that happening until about August time, which means you will have to shoe horn in about a  quarter of a season plus a full season all before June 2021. Good luck in that.

Next season will likely be heavily disrupted aswell.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

No chance this will happen.  No chance.

Agreed. This season is over, and I have doubts about next season aswell. 

There are so many contracts and vested interests, it could take years to sort out in the courts. The recent delay in postponing the Tokyo Olympics was all about attributing culpability for the postponement. Now the whole world knows the reason, but once the money men call the lawyers common sense flies out of the window. Basically the Tokyo Olympic company had a contract to put on an Olympics and were contractually obliged to the IOC to do that. Apparently it’s worth £8.4bn and neither side wanted to be the one to pull the plug. They eventually agreed a postponement but I’m sure the legal bill would have been millions. Just imagine if this had happened a few months later and we were halfway through?

That’s what football is facing and let’s be honest it’s not an industry that is held up as a shining light of integrity and common sense at the best of times. Get this sorted out in a couple of weeks or so, there’s more chance of the World Cup final being held at St Andrews. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Not up to speed with this thread...I hadn’t really realised the PL was still being debated if I’m honest.

So without the benefit of whatever has been announced or debated I’d have to say Id be utterly amazed if anyone thinks football will reconvene this season. Not a chance in hell, ( in my opinion) and rightly so.

What possible reason could there be for even contemplating it ?

The Season is 100% over in my view, I can’t see a chance in a million that it’s not.

Additionally I see next to no likelihood of next season starting in August. They will have to move it and scrap a lot of stuff.

And even then, who in their right mind would attend football matches unless / until there is a vaccine ?

From a personal point of view I’m going no further than my front doorstep until 2021 !

What if you've already had Covid 19 without realising? I presume you were out the front door sometime in February or early March?

That said I largely agree with what you're saying. Seems for many simply playing BCD is a no no but let's be honest there aren't going to be 40-70k crowds at games for the foreseeable future.

Even if some sort of season starts in September then there won't be serious crowds allowed until 2021 imo.

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What if you've already had Covid 19 without realising? I presume you were out the front door sometime in February or early March?

That said I largely agree with what you're saying. Seems for many simply playing BCD is a no no but let's be honest there aren't going to be 40-70k crowds at games for the foreseeable future.

Even if some sort of season starts in September then there won't be serious crowds allowed until 2021 imo.

But there ARE going to be a minimum of 22 people in close vicinity of each other, at each match. It's not that the players, themselves, are immune from the virus.

Incidentally, as a season ticket holder that doesn't have Sky or BT sport - what would clubs be doing to compensate me for the ticket that I've paid for to see an event that is still happening and is available to view for people that don't have tickets?

I'd want access to those games via the clubs website, or I'd want a refund and some form of compensation.

Now in the grand scheme of things, this doesn't mean a whole heap of anything - what I really want is not to die and not to lose any relatives, friends or people I know - but it's the attitude that football is displaying and it'd be interesting to see their response to that same attitude being reflected back to them by supporters.

3 minutes ago, VillaBrum said:

But there ARE going to be a minimum of 22 people in close vicinity of each other, at each match. It's not that the players, themselves, are immune from the virus.

I'd estimate 300-400 people at a behind closed doors game at a minimum. 

Are they going to sanction games without having medical personnel and ambulances at the games?

And if not are they expecting the hospitals to be able to spare anyone even if it calm's down during the summer.

• Like 1

Government would step in, as has been said even behind closed doors a match and event would need hundreds of people in attendance.

Emergency crews, ambulances, doctors in attendance would drain an already strained health service.

They are just stalling because they are motivated by money and I hope the longer this drags on the more people realise this greed from the footballing world over health of the population.

We are 2-4 weeks away from social distancing measures having any effect on new virus infections. And then what everything is back to normal? I hope so but unfortunately not likely....

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I’m not so sure. The cleanest way for the PL is to finish the league. Hopefully by July, it will be safe to play matches without supporters. I can really see this happening.

I’m not that bothered so long as it is safe. I want us to stay up but only on merit. 

Yes I can see it happening. If other people are back at work by then why not footballers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Agree the other safe ( ish) route is if we can get tested and it turns out I’ve had it. I forgot to mention that.

I was indeed out then, my lockdown began on 10th March, so yes I could’ve had it.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd estimate 300-400 people at a behind closed doors game at a minimum. 

including front line medics and possible police to stop fans getting through

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd want access to those games via the clubs website, or I'd want a refund and some form of compensation.

Which is reasonable, but it changes 40 people at each game to over 100 with production values/crew etc from both sides.

They are living in a different world.

28 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

More I think about it 

No vaccine No football

How can any player risk picking it up and going home and infecting their family

People are still working in banks, supermarkets, factories so why is so impossible to believe footballers will start working in 3 months time. Are they better than anybody else? 

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

People are still working in banks, supermarkets, factories so why is so impossible to believe footballers will start working in 3 months time. Are they better than anybody else? 

The 2 metre rule on the pitch will make an interesting game. Should be high scoring.

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I doubt it's the Footballers they are worried about

No crowd, not shown in pubs, trying to stop people going around each others houses to watch it? Good luck to them, then also you have professional Footballers are allowed to play but all Sunday leagues, 5 asides, Park kick abouts etc are all still banned? 

They wouldn't be able to control the social aspect of football