Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

The 2 metre rule on the pitch will make an interesting game. Should be high scoring.

If that's rule is still in place in July then I would hate to think how many people it has killed or whether some of us are us are still around. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I doubt it's the Footballers they are worried about

No crowd, not shown in pubs, trying to stop people going around each others houses to watch it? Good luck to them, then also you have professional Footballers are allowed to play but all Sunday leagues, 5 asides, Park kick abouts etc are all still banned? 

They wouldn't be able to control the social aspect of football

Yes true. Of course a lot of the govt measures might be relaxed by then. But if they cant restart it by July then forget it,. 

2 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

How close are these people to other people.Are they touching them when they are covered in sweat,are they breathing directly into their face as footballers would have at corners etc.Can you imagine the repercussions if one player picked it up and either they died or a relative died from it.

The other jobs you mentioned are regarded as essential services football is not.

I work in a health area ,I have been completely shut down and told to do things which 2 months ago I would have ended up in prison if I had done them then.This virus is regarded as the most serious health problem the country has ever faced.

All other issues are regarded as unimportant.

I don’t think the public are aware of how big this is and how big it will become.This talk of 3 months etc is just to keep people calm.

Until vaccine comes our lives are never going to be the same

Yes you are right it’s a really worrying time and football just isn’t important. 

• Like 1

In answer to a previous question I think the main reason I want the season to finish is for optimism. It’s not about whether we stay up or go down. Football isn’t important but it’s good for morale 

4 hours ago, VillaBrum said:

But there ARE going to be a minimum of 22 people in close vicinity of each other, at each match. It's not that the players, themselves, are immune from the virus.

Ultimately everyone is playing for time and waiting for mass amount of testing to be done. Hopefully in a few months they'll be clearer idea of how much of population has already had virus. Think 50% already is way optimistic currently but could get to that point in a few months (sadly with mass amount of deaths). Really when you think our club massuer has had it I expected quite a few cases in our squad but seens Reina has only had it so far so shows they could be plenty of asymmetric carriers in one squad.

Just to confirm I can't see any kind of football to July/August and I'm probably on the optimistic scale, realistically September/October.

English football has enough PR problems. This is just more stalling, and hoping that the situation improves. I don’t believe the article about July anyway. It would create more legal headaches. If 8 West Ham players are self-isolating. I can only imagine what the figures are like at other clubs. 

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

If that's rule is still in place in July then I would hate to think how many people it has killed or whether some of us are us are still around. 

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

In answer to a previous question I think the main reason I want the season to finish is for optimism. It’s not about whether we stay up or go down. Football isn’t important but it’s good for morale 

It doesn’t have to be, but the lockdown would be useless if you stopped it even if you’re improving. If the peak is 12th of April, then you’ll need another month or two to start settling down atleast. So we’re looking at June, but even then I don’t think we can go back to normal life then.

Our country started locking down partially three weeks ago, we had small cases, two weeks ago they stopped international flights, couple of days later they stopped government work and made it from house, and stopped local flights. Before that they stopped school and football. After that they’ve done the curfew for half of the day, restaurants are only take away for two weeks. Basically with all of that, the numbers are still increasing, even though it wasn’t big originally. The curfew is for 21 days. I think it will improve but they will need to be strict atleast for two weeks or a month even if there were no numbers by then. Because if not it will start again. 

So not playing football isn’t a sign of things getting worse, but it’s the process of controlling the situation. You don’t want to do this while restrictions and then begin again.

21 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Fairest way forwards - infect all clubs and staff, give it three weeks, finish the season with whoever's still standing. 

Also known as the Swedish approach.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

People are dying daily and the Premier League are so desperate to continue on with the league.

Absolutely disgusting. I have no words.

But you can't be surprised?!  

The PL and UEFA already have the stigma, this won't be what shakes it