Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Saw last night that Juventus players had agreed not ti be paid for 4 months. Other top clubs players should follow. 

but why? If you didnt have to work for 4 months and still got paid would you refuse.

Its a nice gesture but others shouldnt be made guilty for not doing the same. Footballers dont earn money after 35

Just now, Zatman said:

but why? If you didnt have to work for 4 months and still got paid would you refuse.

Its a nice gesture but others shouldnt be made guilty for not doing the same. Footballers dont earn money after 35

Yes they do. Work outside of football isn’t denied to them.

2 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Yes they do. Work outside of football isn’t denied to them.

A lot of footballers dont have an education outside of football since they never go to college and are living in a bubble for there careers. Companies arent going to hire a 35 year old with no relevant experience

Edited by Zatman

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No but that’s all relative. The clubs will struggle to pay wages if there’s no football for 4 months, and as most people want the season. Voided then as a consequence players should forfeit their wages at the higher end of the scale

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A lot of footballers dont have an education outside of football since they never go to college and are living in a bubble for there careers. Companies arent going to hire a 35 year old with no relevant experience

Welcome to the world the rest of us live in then. They have plenty of opportunities to prepare for life outside their mollycoddled existence in the game. I’ll save my concern for those of us who don’t enjoy the advantages they enjoy. 

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The 2 metre rule on the pitch will make an interesting game. Should be high scoring.

We are well ahead of the curve there. We have been adhering to the 2m rule all season 

Not sure where this nonpayment thing has come from

They've taken a 12% pay cut but they're reporting it in terms of figures to inflate its significance, Ronaldo giving up 3.8m€ sounds mightily impressive, as does the club stating it will save 90m€ overall which will be reinvested and go in to others who work at the club (!) but when you find out that he earns 31m€ a year its not actually that special, they are incredibly rich as a starting point

Barca took a 30% pay cut in the week

I'm sure other clubs will do something similar, a few will take a stand against it and then follow it up with a shout of **** FFP

Just now, M_Afro said:

We are well ahead of the curve there. We have been adhering to the 2m rule all season 

I think we doubled it just to be on the safe side. Self isolation has been a tactic our defence have been refining all season.

• Like 1

There is no way that public gatherings are going to be reintroduced anytime soon. It could easily be 6 months before fans are allowed back into football matches. I predict lots of live football being played behind closed doors between now and then. I just can’t see any alternative!

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

No but that’s all relative. The clubs will struggle to pay wages if there’s no football for 4 months, and as most people want the season. Voided then as a consequence players should forfeit their wages at the higher end of the scale

It’s an interesting debate. Reducing the wages of the highest paid employees by a set percentage will obviously have the greatest cost reduction and the least impact on those affected.

Our Exec committee have already taken a 20% temporary wage cut. This shows good leadership, makes good commercial sense and delays the inevitable passing down to the lower paid employees who will suffer the most in any reduced wage scenario. I would like to think that most footballers would empathise with this in such unusual times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

There is no way that public gatherings are going to be reintroduced anytime soon. It could easily be 6 months before fans are allowed back into football matches. I predict lots of live football being played behind closed doors between now and then. I just can’t see any alternative!

That’s still not that easy though for a start no gatherings of more than 2 people outside of those in your own house. That rules out training I am assuming? Games behind closed doors still require plenty of staff along with 34 players so it’s the best part of 60-80 people as a minimum. I assume any game even behind closed doors would require essential services such as police to keep away the inevitable idiots that turn up still outside the ground plus ambulance crews both of which have more important jobs to do right now. Really at the moment talk of starting football again even behind closed doors should be put into context. The idea of going past the end of June for me means that next season is already lacking credibility, going to July is just madness. I would rather they said if football isn’t possible by day x then the is no choice but to void the season.

2 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

That’s still not that easy though for a start no gatherings of more than 2 people outside of those in your own house. That rules out training I am assuming? Games behind closed doors still require plenty of staff along with 34 players so it’s the best part of 60-80 people as a minimum. I assume any game even behind closed doors would require essential services such as police to keep away the inevitable idiots that turn up still outside the ground plus ambulance crews both of which have more important jobs to do right now. Really at the moment talk of starting football again even behind closed doors should be put into context. The idea of going past the end of June for me means that next season is already lacking credibility, going to July is just madness. I would rather they said if football isn’t possible by day x then the is no choice but to void the season.

Totally agree with all of your points but the current restrictions are likely to be relaxed by the end of May/June. This will allow the guys to train, prepare and play and for it to be broadcast live. The time that 40,000 people will be able to travel, congregate and closely interact in a confined space is way off. Maybe even 12 months!

16 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

There is no way that public gatherings are going to be reintroduced anytime soon. It could easily be 6 months before fans are allowed back into football matches. 

Yeah, cannot see it, there's no inbetween, you either allow large gatherings or you don't. I don't think we'll see football again till after a vaccine has been introduced, so next season scrubbed too. 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure where this nonpayment thing has come from

They've taken a 12% pay cut but they're reporting it in terms of figures to inflate its significance, Ronaldo giving up 3.8m€ sounds mightily impressive, as does the club stating it will save 90m€ overall which will be reinvested and go in to others who work at the club (!) but when you find out that he earns 31m€ a year its not actually that special, they are incredibly rich as a starting point

Barca took a 30% pay cut in the week

I'm sure other clubs will do something similar, a few will take a stand against it and then follow it up with a shout of **** FFP

Barcelona messed up there approach, asked the players to take 70% cut which they then refused. By Spanish law the employer can force this paycut in this type of situation which they have done but a lot of unhappy Barcelona players at moment.

Espanyol and Atletico forced the cut before asking the players

20 hours ago, PaulC said:

They have managed to contain it in South Korea. I think it’s possible here but we need everybody to take it more seriously like you are.

The big elephant in the room is that is jasnt gone away in Korea, China or anywhere; its merely being controlled. 

When this current bout reaches its low point there will most likely be another bout when we return to normality.

There is no way we can play with that overhanging.

It may be a case that we play the rest of this season during the entire of next season.

I am reading that they want to re start behind closed doors  in July and complete the season in 4 weeks? For the integrity of the game. Hmmm.  So I presume the FA cup will be played out then or maybe not as it makes far less tv money? £££

How will it work if the premier league restart and other major leagues in europe do not? Who would get the qualifying places? If they do this then some top players will have to play non stop football for about a year without a proper break.

A lot of people, myself included, fell out of love with the modern game, with all its mendacity and self serving money orientation many years ago, I still go, as much out of the habit of following Villa for more than 50 years as anything else. But I have to say this current bout of hand wringing reluctance to do what everybody knows to be the correct course of action, is really making me revisit my loyalty to the game. Public health has to be compromised by ANY resumption of football or any sporting or recreational activity while this bloody virus is still active. Simply do the right thing and void this season. It might upset a few fans of clubs such as Liverpool or Leeds etc. But those considerations simply cannot override the safety of people. Dragging this out simply serves to show where the priorities of so many in the game lie.

• Like 2