Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I thought that over xmas. We were above Everton and had an easier run compared to them for next six games. They are now pretty much 10 points clear.

To have a serious chance of staying up we need to be on 30 points by end of Sheffield United game imo. We'd then be o.k averaging a point a game from then on.

Big ask but doable. My NYD target was to be on at least 20 points by end of Burnley game and we got there despite it looking very unlikely after the Southampton loss.

• Like 1

Watford signing Ignacio Pussetto from sister-club Udinese for £15m. Probably slightly discounted rate and he's a wide player with ability.

I don't mind Watford's way, it certainly can't be criticised the last few years. Makes me laugh as well.

Team struggling? Off you **** please Mr. Manager. 

Ah, what's that replacement not got immediate results? You eff off as well please.

It's the same as Chelsea and feels like no one else has won more in the last 15 years.

Might have worked for us if we didn't initially have Tim wrecking everything over the summer.

Edited by Tomaszk

I've watched Udinese a few times this season (much less since the golden Di Natale-Alexis-Quagliarella era) and have to admit I've never really noticed that guy.

They were on today and big Okaka upfront scored (used to play for Watford of course) Rodrigo De Paul scored their third. Only 25 and always seems to do well with assists so maybe one we should've looked at in the summer.

9 hours ago, KMitch said:

Don't really care about the results around us...  Need our players to focus on the only thing they can influence, our own results. 

Yup we can wring our hands or worry about fellow relegation battlers all we like but its pointless. We just have to go into every game trying to win. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Watford signing Ignacio Pussetto from sister-club Udinese for £15m. Probably slightly discounted rate and he's a wide player with ability.

I don't mind Watford's way, it certainly can't be criticised the last few years. Makes me laugh as well.

Team struggling? Off you **** please Mr. Manager. 

Ah, what's that replacement not got immediate results? You eff off as well please.

It's the same as Chelsea and feels like no one else has won more in the last 15 years.

Might have worked for us if we didn't initially have Tim wrecking everything over the summer.

Not sure which, but I heard on a football podcast, that analytically if a manager doesn't turn things around after their first 10 games in charge they're probably not going to, so best to bin them off and try again.

6 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Not sure which, but I heard on a football podcast, that analytically if a manager doesn't turn things around after their first 10 games in charge they're probably not going to, so best to bin them off and try again.

No complaints here, not my money.

Depends if you think you have the "right man" or if you think the squad is rotten.

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I think the current bottom 3 go down

certainly no 3 worse teams than those 3 currently. but there are teams that are on poor runs that could be sucked in

30 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

certainly no 3 worse teams than those 3 currently. but there are teams that are on poor runs that could be sucked in

Norwich are down. It's between us, Bournemouth, Burnley and Newcastle for the other 2 places IMO.

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Norwich are down. It's between us, Bournemouth, Burnley and Newcastle for the other 2 places IMO.

bournemouth are a jammy side too. as bad and injury ridden as they are, i still wouldn't be surprised to see them stay up. not sure what result would be best for us in their game vs norwich saturday. are norwich so far away that we want them to beat bournemouth? probably

Edited by tomav84

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

bournemouth are a jammy side too. as bad and injury ridden as they are, i still wouldn't be surprised to see them stay up. not sure what result would be best for us in their game vs norwich saturday. are norwich so far away that we want them to beat bournemouth? probably

Bournemouth have some horrific fixtures to end the season so we really need them to continue stuttering for a while. Good news is when they get their players back they are likely to be playing the tougher teams rather than having them back against the weaker teams. Burnley have a hard 3 games coming up as well. We really need 6 points from the next 3 games at a minimum. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Bournemouth have some horrific fixtures to end the season so we really need them to continue stuttering for a while. Good news is when they get their players back they are likely to be playing the tougher teams rather than having them back against the weaker teams. Burnley have a hard 3 games coming up as well. We really need 6 points from the next 3 games at a minimum. 

yeah i'd agree with that. some are resigned to the drop, i'm not quite there yet. i'd say we need to beat watford and avoid defeat to bournemouth as a minimum too

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I think the current bottom 3 go down

Sadly, I was looking to the table last night for solace and my gut said the same.

Still alot of points to play for though, got to keep the faith!

A few additions will hopefully change the complexion.

Burnley, Norwich, West Ham, Brighton and Bournemouth have all taken less points than us since the beginning of December, so I think to say there are no worse teams than us currently is false. We still have an excellent chance of staying up, but really must take something from the next three games against our relegation rivals, of course last time we were in this position going into games against, Watford, Norwich and Southampton we failed pretty badly only taking three points from those games, have to do better this time.

• Like 3

the positives is that we are not on the worst run of form compared to other teams around us looking at the latest 5 games. Our form is still better than Newcastle's , Brighton's and Burnley's. The game against Brighton is so bloody crucial right now. If we win that things will start to look ever so slightly better for us.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Burnley, Norwich, West Ham, Brighton and Bournemouth have all taken less points than us since the beginning of December, so I think to say there are no worse teams than us currently is false. We still have an excellent chance of staying up, but really must take something from the next three games against our relegation rivals, of course last time we were in this position going into games against, Watford, Norwich and Southampton we failed pretty badly only taking three points from those games, have to do better this time.

I'd say it's absolutely crucial that we do better this time. could define the rest of the season for us.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Burnley are on a much worse run than we are. Got Leicester, Man. United and Arsenal as their next three so potential to be above them by start of February.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Would still include West Ham in that purely down to how difficult their away run is but can't see anyone else dropping into that group. Brighton will be fine.

54 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

yeah i'd agree with that. some are resigned to the drop, i'm not quite there yet. i'd say we need to beat watford and avoid defeat to bournemouth as a minimum too

Think we're more likely to beat Bournemouth personally. Watford are in top 6 form and will likely exploit the space we leave going forward at home. Not confident for that one, draw at best.

1 hour ago, useless said:

This is the key point for me. People are looking at how bad we are but it’s just standard for the bottom third of the table. If everyone kept up even this bad form of December/Jan, we would stay up.

Now, of course, as you say the big question is these upcoming six pointers. We can leapfrog teams or they can pull away from us. If the latter it gets very hard.