Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Norwich are down IMO. They look lost. 

The rest are nip and tuck. Newcastle have a habit of picking up vital points. 

I'm just hoping that the more time they spend under Bruce's management, the worse they'll get. Their fans are seriously questioning the coaching/fitness methods because of their constant injuries. Two more injuries picked up at the weekend, after having a good 6-7 players out already, and apparently this is largely down to Bruce rushing players back or playing them when unfit (where have we seen that before?)

Newcastle will get a lot of draws. They are comfortably bottom of the xG table which shows how they have been hammered in games but have somehow managed to nick a point. We are quite high up in terms of xG but are second to Newcastle for goals against. Vida coming in may help on that front but this is all going to be very close. 

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

yeah i'd agree with that. some are resigned to the drop, i'm not quite there yet. i'd say we need to beat watford and avoid defeat to bournemouth as a minimum too

Beating Watford as a minimum is a big ask. Their current form is up there with the Champions League placed clubs.

For me, the minimum for the next 3 games is 4 points. Obviously I'd rather we get more than that, but I think a win against Brighton, a loss against Watford and a draw against Bournemouth will maybe still see us close to safety or possibly safe by a point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Beating Watford as a minimum is a big ask. Their current form is up there with the Champions League placed clubs.

For me, the minimum for the next 3 games is 4 points. Obviously I'd rather we get more than that, but I think a win against Brighton, a loss against Watford and a draw against Bournemouth will maybe still see us close to safety or possibly safe by a point.

i'd take that probably...brighton have more danger of being pulled in to the fight than watford in my opinion

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'd take that probably...brighton have more danger of being pulled in to the fight than watford in my opinion

My ideal (but also realistic) scenario is that we beat Brighton and Bournemouth and get a draw against Watford. I agree that Watford are the most likely to claw themselves out, much like Southampton have.

Bournemouth look absolutely shocking lately, and Burnley have looked fairly clueless with a tough run of games. Hopefully we'll see Norwich, Burnley and Bournemouth in the relegation places in a few weeks!

7 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

My ideal (but also realistic) scenario is that we beat Brighton and Bournemouth and get a draw against Watford. I agree that Watford are the most likely to claw themselves out, much like Southampton have.

Bournemouth look absolutely shocking lately, and Burnley have looked fairly clueless with a tough run of games. Hopefully we'll see Norwich, Burnley and Bournemouth in the relegation places in a few weeks!

I'd be amazed if we got 7 points from our next 3. If we did it we'd only need another 10 points to stay up. Doubt we'd make it that simple.

I'm thinking a home draw v Watford, win at Bournemouth, draw v Spurs and then 4 points from Southampton and Sheffield United. That would get us to 30 points by start of March.

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

if we beat bournemouth i think we'll pretty much condemn them to the drop

Newcastle have more fight and at least show attacking intent in a game, they've got decent players with pace. We lack any pace whatsoever. We usually play garbage from minute one. 

The quality of our football has, overall, been dreadful. Turgid displays, can't keep possession and loose passing. 

Really fearing relegation now, lack of decent links to any decent players is worrying

1 minute ago, supermon said:

Newcastle have more fight and at least show attacking intent in a game, they've got decent players with pace. We lack any pace whatsoever. We usually play garbage from minute one. 

The quality of our football has, overall, been dreadful. Turgid displays, can't keep possession and loose passing. 

Really fearing relegation now, lack of decent links to any decent players is worrying

They most certainly do not.

On the rare occasions they get the ball they punt it to high heaven and hope tall or fast player is in the local area where the ball happen to land. That is all.

• Like 3

Caught some radio commentary of their previous game and it seemed that Newcastle looked dangerous every time they went on the counter. 

Bruce has demonstrated he can get his team fired up and can beat the bigger teams. Not that I'm advocating for Bruce back but think Newcastle will be ok this year

3 minutes ago, sne said:

They most certainly do not.

On the rare occasions they get the ball they punt it to high heaven and hope tall or fast player is in the local area where the ball happen to land. That is all.

Of course they do, we all know who's managing them. Still, they've got far more quality in advance positions compared to us. I just don't see them being sucked into the relegation fight myself, sadly.

33 minutes ago, supermon said:

It was only 2 league games ago we were on fire against Burnley. What are you on about? Since the Leicester game we have been bad, no doubt. Before that we were playing well without getting the results. We've hardly been in the bottom 3 all season. Still plenty of games to go and importantly plenty of winnable games. Signings are so important. Then McGinn comes back at the end of March to save the day.

1 hour ago, supermon said:

The way Newcastle played at Villa Park is how they play every week, they have not once tried to take the game to anybody all season. They have the 2nd lowest amount of shots in the league, the least amount of corners and the players have the lowest amount of touches in the league this season by a large distance. Defensively the Newcastle keeper has also made the most saves in the league

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, supermon said:

tv show lol GIF

• Like 2

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

It was only 2 league games ago we were on fire against Burnley. What are you on about? Since the Leicester game we have been bad, no doubt. Before that we were playing well without getting the results. We've hardly been in the bottom 3 all season. Still plenty of games to go and importantly plenty of winnable games. Signings are so important. Then McGinn comes back at the end of March to save the day.

Fair enough I may have exaggerated that it's been totally shit, which it hasn't. But in most games Ive watched this year I've come away feeling well annoyed and not impressed with the footballing display. It's the fighting spirit (by that I don't necessarily mean defend for your life) that we don't seem to have is what annoys me the most. 

Still in a pissed off mood over yesterday's results to be fair

28 minutes ago, supermon said:

Fair enough I may have exaggerated that it's been totally shit, which it hasn't. But in most games Ive watched this year I've come away feeling well annoyed and not impressed with the footballing display. It's the fighting spirit (by that I don't necessarily mean defend for your life) that we don't seem to have is what annoys me the most. 

Still in a pissed off mood over yesterday's results to be fair

I get that mate. It was horrible but we have to write it off given its Man City at their very best. Really need a signing to give us a lift.

There are teams that will have relegation form with us..

This is not like the promotion race, when we get bad results a lot of teams around us are getting them also.

My take on it is that some of the teams destined to fight it out with us haven't even arrived in the relegation zone yet because of their early season form.

16 games to go 4 wins 4 draws and 8 defeats.

If the wins and the draw's come in bits and drabs we wont even have to  hit a run of form and can still stay up.

Its better if you look on the bright side :)

• Like 3