Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would expect the club or league to provide me with access to games that I've paid to see on my season ticket, but which I'm not permitted to attend. I don't have Sky or BT.

It would be interesting to see whether having access to those games would legally be considered as fulfilling the obligations of my season ticket in full.

Don't worry you probably get a free pie when we are allowed to watch games again. Its all about the fans. The fans who subscribe to the sports channels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

Out of interest, do your brothers still follow Newcastle, Manchester United, Leeds and Liverpool, or have they resigned from being fans of those clubs as well? Have you also now successfully converted to another club and if so, to which one? :detect:

Yes, they do (though the youngest [Liverpool] doesn't particularly care for football). 

No, it's close to impossible to convert once the passion is embedded. If you try, it just doesn't feel natural. 

I just choose to focus on work, alcohol & love life instead. It's all I've got left. 

13 hours ago, useless said:

Headline in Guardian article slightly misleading but it does raise some interesting points

They've changed the headline now and added some quotes from Moyesy...

An increasing number of Premier League clubs are actively discussing the possibility of bringing the season to an early end, with concerns ­growing over the feasibility of a return even behind closed doors.

The Premier League is suspended indefinitely and, last week, a meeting of the 20 clubs reaffirmed the intention to complete the season when it is “safe and appropriate”. Away from collective discussions, however, clubs are informally talking about the hurdles in the way of a return, with some asking whether the challenges will soon become too great.

West Ham’s David Moyes yesterday became the first manager to publicly question whether the campaign will restart. He said he hoped to continue but added: “The deeper and deeper you look the harder you feel it is to get it up running again.”

The Guardian has spoken to clubs who have raised a range of concerns including over finance and sporting integrity. The most immediate fear, however, regards medical safety.

Clubs were told last week that play would only resume once there was sufficient capacity for Covid-19 testing while a provisional medical plan has been drawn up with club doctors over how to minimise the risk of infection.

But the practicality of the plan was questioned by one club, who argued that players may have to be separated from their families for a month or more to make sure they are not infected. There is also the concern over the amount of testing required, with perhaps multiple tests per person per match being needed, and the possible insensitivity of such a plan when frontline workers in the NHS and other public services are currently not getting the testing they need.

These sentiments have now been echoed by Moyes. “I think we’ve got to realise there are a lot of people whose lives we could be putting at risk,” he said. “We can’t let that happen. I think until we have the testing, which we need for the nurses and the doctors – I’m finding it really difficult to see where the conclusion is and how we can start [to play].”

The financial complexities centre on the extension of player contracts. If the season were to return in mid‑June – a best-case scenario – clubs may have to keep players on large wages who might otherwise have left. Equally some clubs at the bottom would be paying greater wages than they would had they already dropped down a division and activated relegation clauses. It is also the case that some clubs could find themselves in legal dispute with players over extending their deals.

If it were judged safe to play and clubs were able to take the short-term financial hit in the hope of recouping the money later through broadcast revenue, for example, there would remain issues over sporting integrity. A compacted remainder of the league season, with 92 fixtures still to be completed, would take place during the summer months and would have a physical impact on players. Clubs with smaller squads would face a challenge.

One club is believed to consider their squad’s age profile as a disadvantage if a regular rhythm of weekend-midweek-weekend were required. Another raised the issue of what would happen should a player refuse to play over welfare concerns, or if one who had been set for a transfer were selected against their prospective new club.

Moyes also raised the issue of compacting next season as a result of extending this one, with the postponed European Championship to follow. “We’ve got to be careful that we are not asking an incredible amount of the players,” said Moyes, whose team were in 16th place when the season stopped.

The issues may be resolvable but it is understood they have not been discussed openly in Premier League meetings. One club official who has been part of the meetings said there had been no attempt to ascertain a ­preferred outcome and none expressed by individual teams. The next Premier League meeting is ­scheduled for ­Friday 1 May.

The Guardian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, useless said:

The issues may be resolvable but it is understood they have not been discussed openly in Premier League meetings. One club official who has been part of the meetings said there had been no attempt to ascertain a ­preferred outcome and none expressed by individual teams. The next Premier League meeting is ­scheduled for ­Friday 1 May.

Good article that, the bit above would basically have sufficed - they're delaying the problematic decision of ending the league. God knows how they'll end it though!

Why arent they discussing openly options because they could check feelings about options, potential legal challenges, obstacles around the options.  It doesn’t have to be detailed proposals but 20,000 feet discussions to weed out key areas to look at.  Otherwise when they do have to discuss they will behind the eight ball ironing out key details which delays further.  I hope just hope behind the scenes they are doing this work and reaching out to the clubs, players and stakeholders to gauge reaction.

Anything from agreeing to play early behind closed doors and then the players refusing or police say they don’t have resourcing or they don’t have testing.  Relegating three teams and whether they would go legal and could delay the league starting.  Just on and on with items they have to prepare for, so I do hope behind closed doors they discussing but I don’t hold hope to be honest.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Good article that, the bit above would basically have sufficed - they're delaying the problematic decision of ending the league. God knows how they'll end it though!

Quite , I think they are perhaps hoping the Gov will make the call so no one can be blamed of making a decision in their own interests...

Other issue is neither SKY/BT will confirm if they want money back , though IMO both of them need football as much as clubs need the cash - taking their cash back won't stop the losing subscribers and ad revenue.Also I have read that some sponsors might pull funding as not getting any advertisement for their products.

Wider issue is it seems the top leagues behind closed doors can get by but lower leagues it not viable to play with no fans

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

Quite , I think they are perhaps hoping the Gov will make the call so no one can be blamed of making a decision in their own interests...

Other issue is neither SKY/BT will confirm if they want money back , though IMO both of them need football as much as clubs need the cash - taking their cash back won't stop the losing subscribers and ad revenue.Also I have read that some sponsors might pull funding as not getting any advertisement for their products.

Wider issue is it seems the top leagues behind closed doors can get by but lower leagues it not viable to play with no fans

Think this is the key, they way in how it is cancelled and by whom will likely play a huge part in the upcoming lawsuits and in how the TV-money is payed back/distributed.

10 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

Yes, they do (though the youngest [Liverpool] doesn't particularly care for football). 

No, it's close to impossible to convert once the passion is embedded. If you try, it just doesn't feel natural. 

I just choose to focus on work, alcohol & love life instead. It's all I've got left. 

Perhaps you're just taking a brief sabbatical from football then and will return to it when you've got those work and love life things sorted. You can then concentrate on football and alcohol once again, like many of the rest of us do.🍸

10 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

If work, alcohol and love are all you’ve got left, you ain’t doing so bad 😀

11 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

This is probably the sensible thing we should all be doing away from the games themselves, but these buggers do tend to drag you back in.

I don't think any of the clubs want to play out the remainder of the games at all and the only thing anyone gives a sh1t about is their own agenda.

Who wins the premiership.

Who goes down/up the leagues.

By ending the season early, I cannot think of any format to decide the above that would not see us relegated other then scrap it as is and that will not happen.

I do want to go down but if its out of our hands, then for me its a softer blow🤔🤷‍♂️ then playing it out and failing.

The biggest problem still remains the calendar going forward - there could almost do with cancelling this season and starting next season a couple of weeks early to try and get some sort of break in for players either in the winter or next summer. What increasingly looks like the most practical solution to the enormous amount of football that needs to be played is cancelling the Euros in 2021 altogether - I doubt there's any chance of that happening at all though.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2020 at 15:19, terrytini said:

Not up to speed with this thread...I hadn’t really realised the PL was still being debated if I’m honest.

So without the benefit of whatever has been announced or debated I’d have to say Id be utterly amazed if anyone thinks football will reconvene this season. Not a chance in hell, ( in my opinion) and rightly so.

What possible reason could there be for even contemplating it ?

The Season is 100% over in my view, I can’t see a chance in a million that it’s not.

So, has anything changed in the last 26 days and 80 pages ?🙂

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

If work, alcohol and love are all you’ve got left, you ain’t doing so bad 😀

I got made redundant, quit drinking and smoking years ago, and live with the missus.

So, a complete blank for me.

Is there a precedent that the authorities can call on, from the last 2 world wars, when the leagues were closed down?...i.e what did they do then?

Edited by TRO

29 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Oh crap, I'm useless

Sorry useless, i meant I'm stupid

Obv should have been I do NOT

Lol, I wouldn’t have blamed you though.....which was the better season, this one, or the last one ?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Lol, I wouldn’t have blamed you though.....which was the better season, this one, or the last one ?

Enjoyed last year more then any for a very long time but we are who we are and we should be where we should be.

• Like 1