Villa Kit 2019-20

AvfcRigo82

Did people hate alcohol companies like they do now gambling companies? I’m thinking back to the times of Carlsberg or Newcastle Brown Ale.

37 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think it shows the prem is really divided between the 14 and the big 6. It also shows how badly Manure are doing since Sir Redface has retired, given how much they are still pulling in even now.

I think I read somewhere that they were going to lose some of that figure because of continued failure to qualify for Champions League

I doubt they will get a similar deal again, watch them lose top spot next time i reckon.

I also suspect they have lost millions of their global "fanbase" who switch to more successful clubs, because lets face it, they are not actually fans, they are just following a fashion and it's no fun when your club is out of fashion so you switch to something shinier.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I have full respect for the people that hate being sponsored by betting companies, but I'm really not that arsed by it if I'm being honest.

Maybe my opinion will change on it one day and I'll look back and think of it as like being sponsored by Benson and Hedges, I'm not sure.

At least there’s no alcohol company sponsers now which is arguably a bigger evil. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

At least there’s no alcohol company sponsers now which is arguably a bigger evil. 

depends on your personal experience I suppose, but I would say I see far more people with compulsive gambling problems nowadays than I do with drink, and little by little I think our drinking culture is improving*

*this is largely based on anecdotal evidence of living in a university town. There are big night benders, but not as many, people do drink but not as much, there's far more shame and embarrassment about those getting into antics than there was even 10 years ago. 

I don't see how a betting firm is any different from other companies capitalizing on human condition which is almost all of them. I'd rather not have any sponsors on the shirt to begin with but since the club is getting ~10m out of it, you can't hate the player, only the game.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Rodders said:

some may have done, but gambling is everywhere, every sport, online, every tv event has them offering live odds all the time, you see people in pubs constantly betting etc, gripped by the chance for a few quid rather than just living in the moment of it all. It's all quite sad. And it feels like gambling has become a pernicious activity that has become normalised by all this. It's an easily addictive habit / compulsion, and whilst enjoying a cheeky 5er here or there is fine, everything is geared through the media, marketing etc to not promote the cheeky annual bets but to make people do it every day, with some tiny caveated small line about gambling responsibly

In the United States our entire economy is based on this principle, we just call it the stock market.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Rodders said:

depends on your personal experience I suppose, but I would say I see far more people with compulsive gambling problems nowadays than I do with drink, and little by little I think our drinking culture is improving*

*this is largely based on anecdotal evidence of living in a university town. There are big night benders, but not as many, people do drink but not as much, there's far more shame and embarrassment about those getting into antics than there was even 10 years ago. 

In the matched betting circle, I know of tonnes of people that have made yearly 5-figure sums off betting. So finding out about a new bookie willing to pay me is great <_<

I’d imagine lots of people have had their lives ruined by drink, just like gambling. Unfortunately gambling goes hand in hand with sport, so it’s always going to be there.

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

If we have to have a gambling sponsor W88 is the best choice .... nobody will know that they're a gambling company. I've never heard of them. I thought it might be an upmarket version of WD40! 

Well if it oils the wheels I can live with it...

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Did people hate alcohol companies like they do now gambling companies? I’m thinking back to the times of Carlsberg or Newcastle Brown Ale.

I don't think so. Same as I don't think people were that bothered by tobacco sponsors in sport although not sure that was ever allowed in football? Logos like Marlboro, Camel, B&H, Rothmans, Dunhill, etc were iconic logos in motorsport. I think the dislike of gambling companies is they look shit as well on the shirt and most people have never heard of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

If we have to have a gambling sponsor W88 is the best choice .... nobody will know that they're a gambling company. I've never heard of them. I thought it might be an upmarket version of WD40! 

Its no Castrol GTX!

Just now, alreadyexists said:

2uh7dd2.png

Exactly what I was thinking!

"Do you have a charger for an Ericsson?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

kWMalzI.jpg

If it is around £10m then this table shows we've done pretty well judging by last years deals.

Crazy how the top 6 haven't got gambling sponsors then pretty much all the rest have bar a few

I remember about 10 years ago nearly everyone had alcoholic beverage companies on their shirts, have they been banned.

Off topic but looking at those figures how is it financially fair play for clubs to have a revenue like this when others don't? surely it has to work both ways, if they wont allow clubs to spend when the owners clearly want to and have the muscle to do so, then they should restrict sponsorship deals for the big earners to keep them in check with the rest of the league.

Wolves didn't pay money to end their deal, they had a clause in the contract which stated they could end it if they finished above a certain position, there was also a clause which allowed W88 to end the deal if Wolves got relegated. Also when Wolves announced them last summer they also said that it was a record breaking deal for them as well, so either W88 pay a lot of money, or 'record breaking deal' is just creative with words, and it doesn't necessarily mean they've paid us money than any other shirt has.

Â