Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I'd rather play someone like Lansbury or Birkir upfront than Hogan tbf, or at least play those guys in midfield and push a winger further up. It's a gamble, but I'm generally comfortable with it given the attention given elsewhere.

Hause could do a job up front. This season's Paul warhurst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Man City's youth players are proably a lot better than ours, we let most of our U23 strikers go in the summer  other than Davis, so if we have an injury crisis we're only left with the U18 strikers. Besides I wasn't saying it was a bad or good thing, just pointing out that it could happen, and it wouldn't take that much of an unusual turn of events for it to happen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I'd rather play someone like Lansbury or Birkir upfront than Hogan tbf, or at least play those guys in midfield and push a winger further up. It's a gamble, but I'm generally comfortable with it given the attention given elsewhere.

Hause could do a job up front. This season's Paul warhurst.

10 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Plenty of premier league clubs are in that position. Man City only have Aguero and Gabriel Jesus up front - then they're into their youth players.

Good bit of perspective. 

7 minutes ago, useless said:

We were much stronger last season striker wise than we are this season, relative to the division we're in

I'd say we were stronger in every position 'relative to the division'. In terms of actual strength, I think wilko154 summed it up nicely. Can understand people thinking we don't have enough quality options, but really can't see how you can say it's actually worse than last year.

You'd have to say Norwich & Sheff Utd were too otherwise we'll have an exciting fight for top 2.

Grealish could play further forward as a false 9 so we have enough options up top to get through to January barring injuries imo. With Jota thriving in pre season and surprising many of us, el ghazi & Trezeguet and young Ramsey. Again we have enough options on the wings, plus add in O’Hare into the equation as well, to further boost our front third options I can understand why we haven’t pushed the boat out in terms of excessive fees and held back till January. 

Right ! What started out as nice sensible thread - has now got silly ...with people posting pictures of breasts and suggesting our youth players could play up - it's all rather silly ....stop it..mark ruffalo abandon thread GIF

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Pretty lacklustre deadline day for everyone really, apart from Watford getting Ismaila Sarr and the obligatory Spurs deals 2 hours after the window "slams shut".

And Carroll going to the barcodes. :crylaugh:

We could bring in MON as our DOF and sack off Suso, that would get deadline day more interesting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Surprised he didn't let Jacob Ramsey go out on loan. He's a talent and they rate him but it's unlikely he gets game time with us this season. That u23 football is just pants.

plenty of time for the younger players to bag a loan to leagues 1 and 2

Striker wise we've got exactly the same strikers that we had last season other than that we've swapped Wesley for Abraham, so not only were we stronger last upfront relative to the division we were in, but were quite possibly stronger than this season full stop. Really from an attacking point of view it's Trezeguet who we we're relying on to make a big difference for us.

Edited by useless

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Man City's youth players are proably a lot better than ours, we let most of our U23 strikers go in the summer  other than Davis, so if we have an injury crisis we're only left with the U18 strikers. Besides I wasn't saying it was a bad or good thing, just pointing out that it could happen, and it wouldn't take that much of an unusual turn of events for it to happen.

Man City roll with it by putting Sterling up front, as they did in the community shield. Everton played with Richarlison up front for much of last season. We would maybe go with Trez or AEG if it came down to it. 3 players would have to be unavailable for it to happen and even then it wouldn't be the end of the world imo. Not ideal obviously, but not the end of the world.

So..... Who out there in VT land thinks that Smith has said 'no deals today' to the journos in an attempt to force down Brentford's price on the Benrahma deal? :lol: :D

• Like 1

I must admit I'm surprised we've let Hogan and Green leave without at least one player coming in that can play in their positions. That's not to say Hogan or Green would have played much, but it's the only area our squad looks light on numbers.

Besides that it's been an excellent window and we need to trust that Smith can get the best out of this squad to ensure we do well this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Striker wise we've got exactly the same strikers that we had last season other than that we've swapped Wesley for Abraham, so not only were we stronger last upfront relative to the division we were in, but were quite possibly stronger regardless. Really from an attacking point of view it's Trezeguet who we we're relying on to make a big difference for us.

Are you trying to kill the mood on purpose or does it just come naturally? 

We also now have Jota and Luiz.  Both attack minded midfielders. Focus on the positives man!