Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

At this late stage would anyone consider sturridge, we will struggle for goals, available on a free and an improvement on our striking options. 

mp,840x830,matte,f8f8f8,t-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

No!

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Instead of Sturridge, Austin, Benteke etc id rather have Zigic. His 1 in 25 will be more useful than those three. 

Sheesh Kebab !

I nearly threw up in my mouth! 🤣

Edited by Jas10
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Is a striker possibly more important for us than a keeper?

They are both equally important because without a keeper we would concede lots of goals and without a striker we would be one man short.

• Haha 1

The problem is with any striker we buy now they must know they are more likely than not backup to wesley.

Will a good striker want to come to us with that knowledge?

We might need to buy a striker with potential rather than the finished article.

Edited by MaVilla

21 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The problem is with any striker we buy now they must know they are more likely than not backup to wesley.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Any decent youngsters about? Around 19-23?

I can’t really think of any, someone who can score goals but still developing... can’t think of anyone good enough or exciting that would be available for a decent price.

Would be great if we could get someone who could stay with us for a long time and eventually become our first choice striker.

We need goal scorers, Davis is not really a striker (who scores goals) and RHM is nowhere near good enough. 

Edited by Jas10

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I would like to think that the right striker would be confident enough in his own ability, to back himself to get games with us.

It doesn't seem to stop players joining Chelsea, Liverpool and the Manchester clubs, when the odds are that they will be even more unlikely to begin as regular starters there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I'm not so sure. 

I think Wes is still young and new to the league. This isn't like Kane at spurs, a new signing should see themselves as genuine competition to him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

I would like to think that the right striker would be confident enough in his own ability, to back himself to get games with us.

It doesn't seem to stop players joining Chelsea, Liverpool and the Manchester clubs, when the odds are that they will be even more unlikely to begin as regular starters there.

Hmmm...yeah but the reality is that we are still a newly promoted side and don’t have the same “pull” and won’t offer the crazy wages those clubs will. We do need another striker n I hope we can somehow get rid of Hogan. I expect Kodjia to get goals in our system.

I actually think a “boss” of a goalkeeper is high priority though. Steer certainly has qualities but we need a commanding presence who will bring calmness and confidence into the side. And I’d prefer us to get a British-based keeper rather than a foreign option who will need time to adjust and could be a risk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

Exactly this.

Any player, especially striker need to have this confidence.

If a situation comes up down the line with players not content with their playing situation it's up to Smith and his team to handle it. It's part of what they are paid to do.

We have loads of competition at CB and will have at CM.

• Like 1

Controversially (?) I don’t think our need for a striker is as great as many.

Why ?

Well, I’m going to start by assuming Wesley will do ok. Obviously that’s an unknown.

But if he scores 10/12 goals, that’s really as much as we should need.

Why ?

Coz outside of the top 6 ( and Jamie Vardy) hardly any Clubs have strikers scoring more than that.

Let alone 2 !

Last season for example, Bournemouth had Wilson and King with 26....then Wolves with Jimenez (13), Brighton with Murray (13), and Barnes ( Burnley) And Perez ( Newcastle) with 12.

The previous Season just Arnautovic ( Spam) with 11.

Season before Tekkers and Lloriente ( Swansea) with 15

..and 15/16the 2 Watford guys with 31 between them and Pelle for the Saints with 11.

Not much is it ?

Can I see Kodja scoring 6/8 goals ? Yes, I can. 

What will be crucial - as it s for all Clubs in the “ League Of 14” will be goals from elsewhere....and I think we have a fair few there, certainly to match other Clubs.

So, whilst I think we WILL sign a Striker ( one of the two Brentford guys - young, known, fit in easily) I think we will be ok without.

Whereas a top keeper ( I like a Steer but he’s not a Top keeper) would be worth half a dozen Points.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 3