Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Been told he can leave.

Hasn't featured at all in pre-season. Is finished here.

Big difference from being ‘released’. I’d be shocked if we aren’t paying his wages for the next year given the contract he must be on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t think he has. 

A year to go on his contract. 

We seem to be offering him to clubs for free now so easy mistake to make. But I’m pretty sure he’s still our player. 

Ah....I stand corrected then. I thought I heard he was being released this week

Quiet on the rumour front nowadays. 

Rumours of Kodjia to WBA. Surprised if he does, if him and Hogan go, coupled with McCormack might see us sign two more forwards. Maybe that’s Maupay and Benrahma, or a left field overseas player (Samatta)?

Still think we could sign Philips yet too

6 hours ago, thabucks said:

Unrealistic perhaps but I’d like us to sign one of Fedor Chalov/  Jean Philippe Mateta/  josh Sargent/ Josip Brekalo/ Bertrand Traore as striker. 

Not sure if any of them would be that great without Todd Bonzalez or Sleve McDichael putting it on a plate for them. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Quiet on the rumour front nowadays. 

Rumours of Kodjia to WBA. Surprised if he does, if him and Hogan go, coupled with McCormack might see us sign two more forwards. Maybe that’s Maupay and Benrahma, or a left field overseas player (Samatta)?

Still think we could sign Philips yet too

I doubt Kodjia would want to go, depending on price the club might not even accept him going. How much would Tesco bags spend for him? I doubt it's more than 4m. I don't think we would get an easy option just to be as a squad player.

Maupay would think a lot before coming coming as a definite sub. The club would think a lot before paying more than 20m for a backup player.

I don't mind keeping Kodjia, while getting Benrahma.

4 hours ago, useless said:

Probably completely wrong but the reason I thought of that name was 'no howlers' made me think of a wolf, and 'waffling on' made me think of Belgium, as in Belgium waffle, Casteels is a Belgium goalkeeper who plays for Wolfsburg, and he's 26 or 27, he's also played in the Belgium league, which seems to be a case with a lot our signings and players that we've been linked to. That said I see he was linked to Barcelona in the January transfer window, so not sure how realistic he would be for us. I'm sure we must have many goalkeepers under consideration, still wouldn't surprise me at all if we ended up with Butland.

I suddenly started humming:

9 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I doubt Kodjia would want to go, depending on price the club might not even accept him going. How much would Tesco bags spend for him? I doubt it's more than 4m. I don't think we would get an easy option just to be as a squad player.

Maupay would think a lot before coming coming as a definite sub. The club would think a lot before paying more than 20m for a backup player.

I don't mind keeping Kodjia, while getting Benrahma.

I don’t think anyone is certain of a start. I do think we need another forward off Wes at least away from home when we will be more defensive. Maupay fits that bill for me. I think he will become a very good player.

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I don’t think anyone is certain of a start. I do think we need another forward off Wes at least away from home when we will be more defensive. Maupay fits that bill for me. I think he will become a very good player.

I don't think we could afford to start with two forwards, apart from playing 3 at the back. If Jack plays then we should have 2 with him. We might eventually change the formation during the game. But I don't think we'll start 2 upfront very much. Which won't give the new striker the chance to play. 

39 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I don’t think anyone is certain of a start.

What a great position to be in that will be. For far too long we've had either not enough real, quality strength in depth and/or managers picking players regardless of their form or correct position.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Shocked if he ever started an important competitive game. The massively overrated Pickford is England No. 1

Pickford overrated? He played a massive role in our run to the World Cup semi finals last year. In my opinion, he has been outstanding for Sunderland and Everton. I think he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world now, why do you think he is overrated?

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I suddenly started humming:

OT but the Steve Martin version is horrific when compared to Sellers. Great Mancini tune though. As a kid I loved watching the cartoon early on a Saturday evening.

3 hours ago, thunderball said:

Even Jack? I think he’s certain of a start, it’s almost like the Jack Grealish show 

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

I agree we need another forward, but I have a funny feeling Kodjia is the back up. And if he is the back up then buying another forward may be seen as a luxury. Time will tell.

20 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I agree we need another forward, but I have a funny feeling Kodjia is the back up. And if he is the back up then buying another forward may be seen as a luxury. Time will tell.

Only thing I'll say in Kodjia's favour is we've not really seen him in the lone striker role with the kind of talent we have now. He's good enough for Ivory Coast after all

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Only thing I'll say in Kodjia's favour is we've not really seen him in the lone striker role with the kind of talent we have now. He's good enough for Ivory Coast after all

Agree. 

Out of the two positions I think we’d need a striker slightly more pressingly... I do think we should keep Kodjia but another striker would be really good to have. GK-wise I think it would be great if we could get Butland, for the right price of course (I was told back in June it was done, but I suppose it’s never done til it’s done) . But if we can only sign one, I think striker should be it.

Edited by alreadyexists

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Pickford overrated? He played a massive role in our run to the World Cup semi finals last year. In my opinion, he has been outstanding for Sunderland and Everton. I think he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world now, why do you think he is overrated?

He makes a ton of mistakes, has little presence and lets in too many easy goals. Comes across as a prick too

23 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

Id say he is but fair enough

Jack Butland has made 238 league and cup appearances to date. 74 of these were in the Premier League. He made his league debut in 2011 and Stoke paid £3.3m for him in 2013.

He has played for England 9 times (winning his first cap when aged 19), has played for England at U21 level 28 times and was part of the 2018 World Cup squad. He played in all 4 of Britain's games during the 2012 Olympics.

He played in 45 of Stoke's Championship games last season and played 36 Premier League games for them during the previous season.

I would say he is a reliable goalkeeper with plenty of experience for a 26 year old. Case proven? 😉

• Like 2