Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Timo Horn is a good shout. His passing seems a weakness though. Amazingly we were linked with him in our disaster season of relegation. 

Think Tom Horn is a bit of a cowboy.😀

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Any decent youngsters about? Around 19-23?

I can’t really think of any, someone who can score goals but still developing... can’t think of anyone good enough or exciting that would be available for a decent price.

Would be great if we could get someone who could stay with us for a long time and eventually become our first choice striker.

We need goal scorers, Davis is not really a striker (who scores goals) and RHM is nowhere near good enough. 

I can think of two:

Neal Maupay (22), a decent prospect at lower division Championship club Brentford?

Tammy Abraham (21), an academy product of Chelsea, hasn’t broken through and has been a loan candidate for the last 3 years?

Let’s hope Dean Smith is aware of them 👍🏼

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I can think of two:

Neal Maupay (22), a decent prospect at lower division Championship club Brentford?

Tammy Abraham (21), an academy product of Chelsea, hasn’t broken through and has been a loan candidate for the last 3 years?

Let’s hope Dean Smith is aware of them 👍🏼

Tammy would expect to be a starter, Maupay probably would too but he’d be an interesting signing.

What I meant was, having Wesley as our main striker, we could do with a capable youngster who can come in as cover and make a difference from the bench. Not many goal scoring youngsters around or those that were once rated flatter to deceive, eg I remember Sam Gallagher being rated but he’s been fairly crap wherever he’s been away from So’ton. A young foreign kid would probably be a good option...

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tammy would expect to be a starter, Maupay probably would too but he’d be an interesting signing.

What I meant was, having Wesley as our main striker, we could do with a capable youngster who can come in as cover and make a difference from the bench. Not many goal scoring youngsters around or those that were once rated flatter to deceive, eg I remember Sam Gallagher being rated but he’s been fairly crap wherever he’s been away from So’ton. A young foreign kid would probably be a good option...

I think we will struggle @Jas10, the problem being everyone wants a young striker prospect and you pay top dollar. Maupay and Tammy are a risk but likely to cost circa £20m. I think they are worth it.

Look at Wilson at Bournouth, they took a risk and he is now ‘established’ as a young PL striker and probably £40-50m if they were to sell. It’s madness.

9 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think we will struggle @Jas10, the problem being everyone wants a young striker prospect and you pay top dollar. Maupay and Tammy are a risk but likely to cost circa £20m. I think they are worth it.

Look at Wilson at Bournouth, they took a risk and he is now ‘established’ as a young PL striker and probably £40-50m if they were to sell. It’s madness.

Yeah I get it, everyone is so madly overpriced. If only our youth system/players were better...

I don’t think Tammy is attainable and I actually prefer Wesley, he’s desperate to make an impact at Chelsea and may be given the opportunity.

Maupay could be a great signing.

I’d much rather take Benrahma if it’s a choice between the two (I realise he’s not a striker but an exciting and effective attacker).

Edited by Jas10

I would be tempted to sit back and wait now.

Jota has shown that he can play alongside McGinn and Sir Jack, with Luiz holding, Lansbury, CH and maybe Marvelous are reasonable backups, then you have El Gazhi and Trezeguet as the wide options, with Kodja or Davies as back up to Wes.

I do think we need a good wide attacking goalscorer, and the Leao rumours were very exciting, but I wouldn't  be disappointed if we sat back and allowed the team to settle and grow.

Saying that I think Bowen would be worth a gamble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I can’t really think of any, someone who can score goals but still developing... can’t think of anyone good enough or exciting that would be available for a decent price.

Tyrese Campbell (Stoke) Age 19.

Karlan Grant (Huddersfield) Age 21

Both have  Very good potential.

Tyler Walker (Nottingham Forest) Age 22... is worth watching/looking at too! He has good potential. He has had a great season during 2018/2019 at Mansfield on loan scoring 22 league goals in League 2..

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Would be great if we could get someone who could stay with us for a long time and eventually become our first choice striker

Mentioned a few recently .... Jean Philippe Mateta, josh Sargent, Alexis Claude-Maurice, & Erling Braut Haland all great young prospects .... 

And how about Bertrand Traore ? 

Edited by thabucks

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Controversially (?) I don’t think our need for a striker is as great as many.

Why ?

Well, I’m going to start by assuming Wesley will do ok. Obviously that’s an unknown.

But if he scores 10/12 goals, that’s really as much as we should need.

Why ?

Coz outside of the top 6 ( and Jamie Vardy) hardly any Clubs have strikers scoring more than that.

Let alone 2 !

Last season for example, Bournemouth had Wilson and King with 26....then Wolves with Jimenez (13), Brighton with Murray (13), and Barnes ( Burnley) And Perez ( Newcastle) with 12.

The previous Season just Arnautovic ( Spam) with 11.

Season before Tekkers and Lloriente ( Swansea) with 15

..and 15/16the 2 Watford guys with 31 between them and Pelle for the Saints with 11.

Not much is it ?

Can I see Kodja scoring 6/8 goals ? Yes, I can. 

What will be crucial - as it s for all Clubs in the “ League Of 14” will be goals from elsewhere....and I think we have a fair few there, certainly to match other Clubs.

So, whilst I think we WILL sign a Striker ( one of the two Brentford guys - young, known, fit in easily) I think we will be ok without.

Whereas a top keeper ( I like a Steer but he’s not a Top keeper) would be worth half a dozen Points.

I couldn’t agree more with this, thats why we must hope that our wingers can bring goals in along with wesley , if he gets 11 or more im sure we can say he has had a comfortable season . Maupay is not the player we desire I doubt he will make the grade in the Premier League .

A player that can play right wing or centre forward ideally more proven is essential as im unsure about trezeguet and i feel benrahma was the player to snatch he has that final third quality in abundance. A bit concerned about too many brentford players linked i mean they didnt finish in the top ten so we must be careful.

A centre midfielder who can play defensive and attacking as a back up to luiz and mcginn is necessary, are we happy to settle with hourihane as that option im unsure who btw is fantastic when he gets himself going. Kodjia and hogan must go and bikir is nowhere near good enough. Jota also has been playing in championship for more than a few seasons and he has attracted no team from the top divisions, he also was not getting rave reviews at SHA so i doubt he is all of a sudden going to be a top player here regardless, however i could be wrong. Anyway this is the team that must select for now ( if we sign Saed anyway and either keeper)

We need to steal some of the talent jorge mendez has as clients as they are some top quality players, suso seems to have the lesser end of talent to choose from. Signing players that have done well in the belgian league doesn’t really give me much confidence. ( Benteke excluded) 😂

Steer/Etheridge/Butland

Guilbert        Engles         Mings        Targett

Luiz

Mcginn      Grealish 

Trez/Benrahma                            El Ghazi

Wesley 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

We're allowed more than one decent striker, what other clubs do is up to them.

Yes i agree here, I described the player as someone who can play right wing and centre forward if wesley gets injured or such , or simply a centre forward if we have the funds but they will need to be happy with being on the bench most of the season

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

Tyrese Campbell (Stoke) Age 19.

Karlan Grant (Huddersfield) Age 21

Both have  Very good potential.

Tyler Walker (Nottingham Forest) Age 22... is worth watching/looking at too! He has good potential. He has had a great season during 2018/2019 at Mansfield on loan scoring 22 league goals in League 2..

Cheers mate, you really seem to know your stuff. Going by your previous comments too, Villa should employ you! Are/were you a scout?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Mentioned a few recently .... Jean Philippe Mateta, josh Sargent, Alexis Claude-Maurice, & Erling Braut Haland all great young prospects .... 

And how about Bertrand Traore ? 

Thanks, all out of likes. Traore is very highly rated right? Probably would expect to be a starter.

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Thanks, all out of likes. Traore is very highly rated right? Probably would expect to be a starter.

He has been linked with a loan move to West Ham who have just spent £40mill + on Haller... can also cover wide. He is highly rated indeed and would add quality to our frontline. 

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

I couldn’t agree more with this, thats why we must hope that our wingers can bring goals in along with wesley , if he gets 11 or more im sure we can say he has had a comfortable season . Maupay is not the player we desire I doubt he will make the grade in the Premier League .

A player that can play right wing or centre forward ideally more proven is essential as im unsure about trezeguet and i feel benrahma was the player to snatch he has that final third quality in abundance. A bit concerned about too many brentford players linked i mean they didnt finish in the top ten so we must be careful.

A centre midfielder who can play defensive and attacking as a back up to luiz and mcginn is necessary, are we happy to settle with hourihane as that option im unsure who btw is fantastic when he gets himself going. Kodjia and hogan must go and bikir is nowhere near good enough. Jota also has been playing in championship for more than a few seasons and he has attracted no team from the top divisions, he also was not getting rave reviews at SHA so i doubt he is all of a sudden going to be a top player here regardless, however i could be wrong. Anyway this is the team that must select for now ( if we sign Saed anyway and either keeper)

We need to steal some of the talent jorge mendez has as clients as they are some top quality players, suso seems to have the lesser end of talent to choose from. Signing players that have done well in the belgian league doesn’t really give me much confidence. ( Benteke excluded) 😂

Steer/Etheridge/Butland

Guilbert        Engles         Mings        Targett

Luiz

Mcginn      Grealish 

Trez/Benrahma                            El Ghazi

Wesley 

No place for Jota?

With his showings in pre season I'm surprised anyone has a lienup for the start of the season without his name on it tbh.

He has probably been our best player in pre season.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

No place for Jota?

With his showings in pre season I'm surprised anyone has a lienup for the start of the season without his name on it tbh.

A player we don’t own got the nod ahead of him :)

• Haha 3

Unrealistic perhaps but I’d like us to sign one of Fedor Chalov/  Jean Philippe Mateta/  josh Sargent/ Josip Brekalo/ Bertrand Traore as striker. Then Butland as GK. Benrahma or Calvin Stengs as an additional winger and icing on the cake of Bayliss, Dan Happe and maybe Marcus Edwards as young back ups to loan out. Ain’t gunna happen I appreciate...

22 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

No place for Jota?

I’ve been keeping track of his recent displays and he has played well certainly trying to seal his place in our starting XI however compared to trezeguet or benrahma (who i think we will sign) he isnt as good but i would like him to prove me wrong if he is. Also the opposition in these friendlies are not exactly world beaters.

Edited by RicRic