Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

no to Milner on 85k pw - If we made such a move it would surprise and disappoint me. 

Would you be disappointed if we bought him for 4 million & paid him 45k per week for 2 years to help us stabilise? or it just the 85k ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Actually he might not even be a 10 goal striker.

He's time at Swansea he ended up with 5 goals.

I think we need to be careful what we wish for here. Yes Tammy is a fine Championship striker, but i'm not too sure about him at a Premier League level.

He was 19. As a comparison Alan Shearer’s record around that age was 0 in 10 games, followed by 3 in 26 and 4 in 36. Managed 13 in 41 when he was Tammy’s age now for next season.

So you might be right he doesn’t get much past 10 goals next season, but you’re showing a huge lack of knowledge of player development to rate his potential on how he did at 19 in his first PL season.

• Like 2

Purslow and the new owners have formulated a plan to reduce the age of the squad and create potential player sell on values. We are told we're going forward with younger players with the right character, pace and ability. It's a plan that suits the talents of Dean Smith, and one which he welcomes because of the energetic style of football he wants to play.

They are not suddenly going to be swayed by the availability of big names such as Milner and Cahill, as it would immediately drive a coach and horses through their "plan".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah milner on 85k a week really fits Purslows business model he was alluding to 

I agree with everything Purslow has said, but Milner is an example of someone you should bend the rules for.

I am not one of those people constantly banging on the "Bring back so and so" drum, I bloody hate those people...but Milner has plenty left in the tank, has looked after his body and is the type of guy who always wants to win.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I agree with everything Purslow has said, but Milner is an example of someone you should bend the rules for.

I am not one of those people constantly banging on the "Bring back so and so" drum, I bloody hate those people...but Milner has plenty left in the tank, has looked after his body and is the type of guy who always wants to win.

Same applies to Cahill, those 2 in our side and we wont go down. They are the same age and look after themselves.

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Plus i could see him as a good coach down the line.  Could dangle that carrot in front of him to, though i suspect Liverpool will do that as well as Klopp loves him.

I think a lot of us are still thinking based off Championship wages and how we have got burnt in the past with Prem wages.  Milner is professional personified and should be an exception.  We need to cement our premiership status and he would go along way to doing that next season.   

Forget about Gabby, Richards, McCormck who were totally unprofessional and Jedi, Whelan.  These guys were on massive wages and majority of them are now gone/going.  Richards Wages alone probably cover majority of Milner's.  

Just now, Junxs said:

Same applies to Cahill, those 2 in our side and we wont go down. They are the same age and look after themselves.

Wouldnt be so sure about Cahill.  He has slowed up something serious, would mean our defense playing extremely deep.  Milner on the other hand doesnt rely on speed.  But i get your point. 

• Like 1

I understand the draw of getting a player like Milner back but also fully understand those who aren't so keen.

+ On the one hand, you have a core leader of a Champions League winning team, a past villa player who was exceptional for the club and a player by all accounts is still quality and gives his all every game. - Seems like a no brainer

- Alternatively, He's 33, would demand massive wages, and is resembles the business approach from a few years ago that relegated the club.

Ultimately i guess its depends on how optimistic or pessimistic you are feeling!

7 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Wouldnt be so sure about Cahill.  He has slowed up something serious, would mean our defense playing extremely deep.  Milner on the other hand doesnt rely on speed.  But i get your point. 

I’ve seen this argument a few times but there will be a lot of games where Villa will sit deep and defend. It’s not like we’re at a level where we could go away to a mid table established team, say Watford, and dominate the possession. 

I’ve no idea whether Cahill has anything left in the tank as he’s barely played but him being slow is the last reason to care about when it comes to signing him.

Besides, neither Mings nor Axel (potentially if we get them back) are experienced and disciplined enough to survive playing a high line against PL quality , so I doubt Smith will be so open to that approach right away.

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

39 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

All this Milner talk started from a twitter account which isn’t even reliable. It’s not happening. We have this almost every transfer window.

It's almost like a tradition but I'm not sure we had it during the Championship years so it's nice that's its come back almost instantly now that we are a PL team!

Also good to get it out the way early so we can move on and concentrate on the real stuff. 

Just in case - it'd be a definite yes from me for Milner!

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

How much do people think Abraham will ask for if we manage to buy him.

£80k/w, £100K/w, £120k/w, more?

£15k p/w, no more. If he wants a penny over that, I'm getting the bedsheets out

13 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I reckon Cahill would win in a race against Milner, but neither position needs lightning pace.

1 hour ago, sne said:

How much do people think Abraham will ask for if we manage to buy him.

£80k/w, £100K/w, £120k/w, more?

I don't get the impression he isn't a big greedy knob, I would think (hope 🙄) that 80k would be the most we pay any player or thereabouts.

With Dean Smith at the wheel I'm not worried it would happen, but I wonder what Fulham were paying Seri p/week....

Edited by Villan_of_oz