Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

milner depends on the deal, if he does want to come here and we can get him on a "you've made your money now do you want to play every week" type deal then I think everything purslow has said previously goes in the bin, we aren't in a position to turn down obvious quality just because of age and a model that we've created

but same as cahill I doubt he will be after a deal where he isn't paid handsomely, someone like Watford will offer him 100k a week (I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool resigned him)

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't get the impression he is a big greedy knob, I would think (hope 🙄) that 80k would be the most we pay any player or thereabouts.

With Dean Smith at the wheel I'm not worried it would happen, but do you reckon Fulham were paying Seri p/week.

I can't imagine he worked for free, so yeah, it stands a chance.

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't get the impression he is a big greedy knob, I would think (hope 🙄) that 80k would be the most we pay any player or thereabouts.

With Dean Smith at the wheel I'm not worried it would happen, but do you reckon Fulham were paying Seri p/week.

From what I remember Wolves offered £120k in January (might be way off) and a player going for £25m or whatever is going to get a big contract.

Just like transfer fees goes up, so does salaries.

Edit:

Wolverhampton Wanderers will offer Tammy Abraham a staggering £120,000 per week to join them, according to The Sun.

Striker Abraham is poised to be recalled from his loan spell at Aston Villa before being shipped out to Wolves by parent club Chelsea.

He is initially expected to join on loan with Chelsea unwilling to cut all ties to the player just yet, despite Wolves offering to pay £18million for his services.

In order to land Abraham Wolves will have to offer big money, though, and they are reportedly willing to do just that.

According to The Sun, Abraham is earning £42,500 a week at Stamford Bridge - a figure Villa have paid in full during his loan spell.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tammy-abraham-wolves-aston-villa-15636578

Edited by sne

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

milner depends on the deal, if he does want to come here and we can get him on a "you've made your money now do you want to play every week" type deal then I think everything purslow has said previously goes in the bin, we aren't in a position to turn down obvious quality just because of age and a model that we've created

but same as cahill I doubt he will be after a deal where he isn't paid handsomely, someone like Watford will offer him 100k a week (I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool resigned him)

Purslow could make it look like an appealing deal for both Milner and the fans. If it was a base salary of £40k-50k, but with an appearance bonus of another £20k-30k, then Milner would know that he's basically on 60-80k, but the fans would feel a lot happier about not having a huge contract that's a flat 70/80k+ p/w.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sne said:

From what I remember Wolves offered £120k in January (might be way off) and a player going for £25m or whatever is going to get a big contract.

Just like transfer fees goes up, so does salaries.

Edit:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tammy-abraham-wolves-aston-villa-15636578

So we double his wages, 85k. That is surely attractive for player who has only scored 8 goals in a season in this league.... Don't get me wrong I want to sign him, but I hope we are savvy enough to negotiate with the understanding he is an unproven PL striker.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

So we double his wages, 85k. That is surely attractive for player who has only scored 8 goals in a season in this league.... Don't get me wrong I want to sign him, but I hope we are agreed enough to negotiate with the understanding he is an unproven PL striker.

Obviously want the club to get the best deal possible every time.

But if he moves he will have options and PL wages are ridiculously inflated.

Young English striker, his agent could easily drum up his salary something silly.

All this talk of wages and transfer fees show how difficult it is for clubs if they get relegated.  In order to compete in the Premier League you have to shell out a fortune, which could be extremely damaging when you go down.  I thought it was tough for us a few years ago but it must be incredibly tough for the likes of Fulham if they dont come straight back up.  I guess the parachute payments must be higher to help compensate.

Anyway Milner at £85k a week would be great value for anyone in the Premier League, so I think it's unlikely he would choose us.  I get the impression he enjoyed his time here and was a terrific pro, but there isn't any real deep-down love for the club that would make him choose us over everyone else.  I'm surprised Liverpool have even let his contract run down.

• Like 1

Just now, villarule123 said:

Get used to it. 

Infact, I hope we do get used to it, because it means we'll be a PL club. 

I really don't.  We've done it before, gone down and it almost completely shafted us.

The financial gap between the PL and the Championship is now even bigger and even more dangerous - it would be staggeringly stupid to throw massive wages at relatively unproven players.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I really don't.  We've done it before, gone down and it almost completely shafted us.

The financial gap between the PL and the Championship is now even bigger and even more dangerous - it would be staggeringly stupid to throw massive wages at relatively unproven players.

I agree with you, unfortunately 85k p/w isn't massive anymore.

4 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

#AVFC are going to try and tempt James Milner back to Villa Park after he has just won the Champions League, it is believed that Villa are set to offer him £85,000 a week to come back to the Midalnds. Milner prefers Liverpool stay but is open to a move to Villa Park. #LFC

Please let it be so, one player who i would want who is over 30.  He could go on for another 3-4 years at top level.

Brilliant news if true.

He is just what we need. A Champions League winner shoring up our midfield. Perfect start to life back in the Premiership.

• Like 3

Mings, Hause, El Ghazi, McGinn, Guilbert etc are examples of players who are really keen to play for Villa because they all want to make a reputation in the Premier by improving and showcasing their ability. Ambition is more important than money to these players at this moment in time. Villa is currently a rare and potentially career making opportunity for a number of ambitious young players as long as they are prepared to bust a gut and have the right qualities.

Wages don't need to be ridiculously high and should reflect the fact that joining Villa this summer is more about a special opportunity to make a name in the top league with the platform that becoming an Aston Villa player will give them.

Dean Smith's brand of football will attract ambitious players rather than greedy ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Brilliant news if true.

He is just what we need. A Champions League winner shoring up our midfield. Perfect start to life back in the Premiership.

But to piss on those strawberrys, Liverpool are talking of renewing his contract and they have an option of a 1 year extension on his current deal according to a Liverpool supporting pal.

Would have been a great addition otherwise.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Brilliant news if true.

Ordinarily I’d say that a PL player coming to the end of his career, on high wages would be exactly the type of player we should avoid. However James Milner could be an exception. He’s a model pro, has looked after himself and could have a good few seasons left at the top level. 

I’m sure we will be targeting plenty of younger players, but a smattering of experience, particularly the type of experience and professionalism that Milner could bring, may be just what we need. 

• Like 2