Racism Part two

Demitri_C

If we live in a world were burning the national flag of a country, In that country on a memorial to its war dead  is deemed acceptable then is a very very sad day. It is totally odious behaviour. The perpetrator should be sat down with Sir Tom Moore and asked to explain her actions

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

If we live in a world were burning the national flag of a country, In that country on a memorial to its war dead  is deemed acceptable then is a very very sad day. It is totally odious behaviour. The perpetrator should be sat down with Sir Tom Moore and asked to explain her actions

I don't think anyone was specifically supporting the right of someone to burn the flag on The Cenotaph, the conversation just evolved into a more generalised discussion on burning flags.

57 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't think anyone was specifically supporting the right of someone to burn the flag on The Cenotaph, the conversation just evolved into a more generalised discussion on burning flags.

Indeed. It's about context.

I'm not sure I or many others have argued for the right of someone to burn other people's property.

On a quite simple point, there's a world of difference between buying your own flag and deciding to burn that and clambering on to a war memorial and attempting to burn a flag there. Sure, there is symbolism in the act of burning a flag anywhere - as others have said there is supposed to be - but it's your bloody flag and (allowing for not causing a fire risk, &c.) you should be allowed to dispose of it as you please.

On the specific bit about showing disrespect to those memorialised by the Cenotaph, the woman who jumped on it and tried to burn the flag did show that. I also take the view that the numerous civilian (and military) leaders who lay wreaths and parade past it once a year whilst still sending thousands and more to wars on dodgy pretences, with inadequate kit and poor support when they return traumatised, injured and damaged probably show a significant lack of respect when claiming to honour the memories of the fallen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I'm just curious how you know his opinions on such matters. As far as I'm aware he's never commented on such things. It sounds to me rather that you'e projecting your opinions onto someone to gain some kind of extra house points. Go pn admit it, you've just chucked his name in there because its trending

Quiet the opposite, I put  his name in there not so much because of the burning flag but because the scrote involved was part of a group breaking social distancing guidelines and I guess he would be appalled by this after all the good work he did for the NHS at the ripe old age he is. I cannot comment about his views regarding burning the flag but have my own opinions On how he would perceive  such actions

Edited by Follyfoot

44 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Quiet the opposite, I put  his name in there not so much because of the burning flag but because the scrote involved was part of a group breaking social distancing guidelines and I guess he would be appalled by this after all the good work he did for the NHS at the ripe old age he is. I cannot comment about his views regarding burning the flag but have my own opinions On how he would perceive  such actions

That bears absolutely no relation to what you actually posted. Not one mention of social distancing in your post, your post was about flag burning.

Thanks for the confirmation.

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Indeed. It's about context.

I'm not sure I or many others have argued for the right of someone to burn other people's property.

On a quite simple point, there's a world of difference between buying your own flag and deciding to burn that and clambering on to a war memorial and attempting to burn a flag there. Sure, there is symbolism in the act of burning a flag anywhere - as others have said there is supposed to be - but it's your bloody flag and (allowing for not causing a fire risk, &c.) you should be allowed to dispose of it as you please.

On the specific bit about showing disrespect to those memorialised by the Cenotaph, the woman who jumped on it and tried to burn the flag did show that. I also take the view that the numerous civilian (and military) leaders who lay wreaths and parade past it once a year whilst still sending thousands and more to wars on dodgy pretences, with inadequate kit and poor support when they return traumatised, injured and damaged probably show a significant lack of respect when claiming to honour the memories of the fallen.

What about when that property is a statue rather than a flag? Clearly we are talking about whether it is acceptable to damage property we don’t own if we decide we don’t like it. 

Just now, ml1dch said:

Surely the only honest answer is "it depends on the property, the damage and the context"

Unless anyone is going to argue that the people who took hammers to the Berlin Wall should have been prosecuted for criminal damage...

Some people liked that wall and really believed in it, you know. Bloody vandals. Thugs.

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Quite right, although its unfair to get the great man involved. he's done more than enough for this country. Burning of flags is wrong and desecrating statues of war heroes is the lowest of the low. 

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Surely the only honest answer is "it depends on the property, the damage and the context"

Unless anyone is prepared to argue that the people who took hammers to the Berlin Wall should have been prosecuted for criminal damage...

It’s a truly fascinating subject isn’t it.

Absolutely agree, the Berlin Wall needed to come down.

Except, not all of it has. For all the oppression and death, they’ve kept some but as an educational piece. Just as they have Russian tanks on plinths in the centre of Berlin.

It’s too much about context to have a one size fits all rule. We need to rapidly address some wrongs whilst avoiding cultural purges.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Staggers me people have more of an issue with the burning of a piece of cloth than the decades long systematic mistreatment of an entire race of people.

Its not but you have to have respect for the country you live otherwise what do you have, disorder, anarchy. Its a slippery slope. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Unless anyone is prepared to argue that the people who took hammers to the Berlin Wall should have been prosecuted for criminal damage...

Exactly, so this is why there is nuance and a lot of discussion to be had. 

On a similar note I saw a post in the US politics thread where people were cheering that some numpty who was giving a Hitler salute got punched in the head. That is an example of beating a person for doing something that the attacker found offensive.  

42 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its not but you have to have respect for the country you live otherwise what do you have, disorder, anarchy. Its a slippery slope. 

Pains me to say it :)  , but I think @StefanAVFC comments is the correct answer

I think you're taking the flag thing far too literally ,  If one person in isolation tries to burn a flag as part of what they feel is a legitimate protest , I think their symbolic protest is kinda loosely acceptable  ,I don't think it will lead to disorder and anarchy .....  if they were joining ISIS and burning flags  then No , that isn't acceptable  ... but there is a big difference

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Pains me to say it :)  , but I think @StefanAVFC comments is the correct answer

I think you're taking the flag thing far too literally ,  If one person in isolation tries to burn a flag as part of what they feel is a legitimate protest , I think their symbolic protest is kinda loosely acceptable  ,I don't think it will lead to disorder and anarchy .....  if they were joining ISIS and burning flags  then No , that isn't acceptable  ... but there is a big difference

There are no grey areas. Its wrong!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

There are no grey areas. Its wrong!

There are few acts so abhorrent and unjustifiable that this is true. Burning a flag certainly isn't one of them.

• Like 2

Â