Racism Part two

Demitri_C

George Floyd will become an icon for social justice for change.  Hopefully his death wasn't in vain. 

But I don't think he should be portrayed as a hero or as an angel in heaven like I've just seen. I've read he did some pretty nasty shit in his time.  

Disclaimer : Its just an opinion, before anyone pounces - I'm not dismissing the whole #BLM movement. 

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Very much on topic for the thread, at the end of this video you can have the joy of watching Nick Ferrari asking Afua Hirsch why she doesn't leave the country and live somewhere else if she has problems with it:

He'd have lost his job for saying that about a dozen years ago; I bet nothing at all happens today.

The video won't load for some reason but is there a possibility she's made something racial out of it even when it isn't there?  I've had a debates with White British people asking if would consider living in another country if they are that upset about things here?  Does that make me a racist?

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

The video won't load for some reason but is there a possibility she's made something racial out of it even when it isn't there?  I've had a debates with White British people asking if would consider living in another country if they are that upset about things here?  Does that make me a racist?

I've definitely seen/heard several white people be asked "if you're going to moan about the country so much, why don't you piss off?", but it definitely seems a bit less appropriate when it's asked of someone that's another race.

I don't know how Ferrari meant it, but at best it was incredibly tone deaf. 

Just now, Davkaus said:

I've definitely seen/heard several white people be asked "if you're going to moan about the country so much, why don't you piss off?", but it definitely seems a bit less appropriate when it's asked of someone that's another race.

I agree its not something you should be saying as a broadcaster.  Pretty stupid really.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Yes, counter to her point, I have also been asked by angry white right-wing people in debates 'why don't you piss off and live somewhere else', and I'm as white as they come. However, it is incredibly gross to be suggesting that, as a white guy talking to a non-white woman. On television last night was a drama about the Windrush scandal, a policy that essentially deliberately pushed non-white Britons to 'self-deport' when they had perfect legal right to remain in the UK. It's not like the idea of a government almost entirely composed of white people forcing non-white Brits out of the country is some ludicrous fantasy, so his 'suggestion' reads more like a threat.

• Like 2

One of those guys arrested, Mark something was one of those garden variety 'conservatives' on Twitter who regularly dog whistled to fascists while maintaining plausible deniability and always took umbrage at being called a Nazi despit his girlfriend literally having a giant swastika tattooed on her chest. This is why you never take these people at their word, they always try to maintain plausible deniability. If it walks like a duck etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Anybody got any favourite flags?

Flags of now-defunct countries are always good options in that game. 

The Kingdom Of The Two Sicilies:

it-2ss.gif

Republic of Anguilla:

1600px-Flag_of_Anguilla_(1967-1969).svg.

Top marks to Rurutu who put their name on it so nobody forgets:

pf-au-rr.gif

Republic of Formosa:

1280px-Flag_of_Formosa_1895.svg.png

A Wikipedia rabbit-hole worth jumping into.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

I ust admit the last few pages of this thread are leaving me feel very vexed

About 5 pages back I was considering bailing out and asking to be tagged when it got a bit better. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Rhodes statue next to be taken down via mob rule?

The real tragedy is that the pressure group demanding its removal has gone with "Rhodes Must Fall" as their slogan, when "Where We're Going We Don't Need Rhodes" was staring them in the face. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

George Floyd will become an icon for social justice for change.  Hopefully his death wasn't in vain. 

But I don't think he should be portrayed as a hero or as an angel in heaven like I've just seen. I've read he did some pretty nasty shit in his time.  

Disclaimer : Its just an opinion, before anyone pounces - I'm not dismissing the whole #BLM movement. 

Armed robbery in someones home, pretty bad stuff but he had reformed 

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Armed robbery in someones home, pretty bad stuff but he had reformed 

Allegedly the women was pregnant and he held a gun to her.    Guess its all irrelevant really.  This is much bigger than George Floyd.   As I said he will hopefully become an icon for change. 

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know exactly what you mean, but I've been forcing myself to be consistent about it. Troublingly large number of fash there to be honest, they seem to be getting bigger crowds these days.

I guess fans need something to do when they aren’t supporting West Ham

• Like 1

Â