Racism Part two

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think we've all agreed that we need to bulldoze the whole of Bristol into the harbour as it benefitted from slave trading money. 

This may not be the best solution for Bristollians but better to be safe than sorry. :) 

I'm not sure removing artwork glorifying a figure from public spaces is quite the same as burning down hospitals and schools with their name on when you could simply change the name to achieve the same thing.

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

While we talk about slavery, worth mentioning that it still goes on in parts of the world and while people look forward to the World Cup in Qatar, lets remember those stadiums have been built on slave labour and people have died during the construction. 

Sadly it still goes on in all parts of the world. I used to work with some guys that came from previously doing Home Office raids and they came across it on a weekly basis.

While we talk about slavery, worth mentioning that it still goes on in parts of the world and while people look forward to the World Cup in Qatar, lets remember those stadiums have been built on slave labour and people have died during the construction. 

Yes, this is regularly brought up on here and most people clearly resent the idea of hosting the WC there. Not sure what this has to do with Bristol though!

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm not sure removing artwork glorifying a figure from public spaces is quite the same as burning down hospitals and schools with their name on when you could simply change the name to achieve the same thing.

I'll be honest... I wasn't being entirely serious! ;) 

Just now, Xela said:

I'll be honest... I wasn't being entirely serious! ;) 

I assumed you weren't, but it amazes me how many people see stuff like this then pick up and run with it without understanding why it's a false equivalence!

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Yes, this is regularly brought up on here and most people clearly resent the idea of hosting the WC there. Not sure what this has to do with Bristol though!

I'm just hoping people are as passionate about that as the statue in Bristol and boycott the world cup. Players included. Would send a huge signal out to the world. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm just hoping people are as passionate about that as the statue in Bristol and boycott the world cup. Players included. Would send a huge signal out to the world. 

That would be great. I wouldn't hold my breath though. The players don't even seem to be protesting the restart of the PL where their own health is at risk.

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

boycott the world cup

I've been boycoting International Football for decades on the grounds that its generally shit. So my protest will continue with added emphasis :mrgreen:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Why do you think this? It doesn't seem to reflect what's going on at all. Everything began after a policeman murdered George Floyd and it was caught on video. Really it seems to be a protest in spite of the virus, and a protest to promote anti racism after a particularly shocking incident that can easily be read in a racist context...one incident of thousands. 

I wonder, honestly, do you think you'd probably have the same attitude to the overall message even if there was no pandemic? 

So why call it a pandemic? My attitude is based on the current health crisis that we are going through and the fact that many people including myself have observed the lockdown rules to the letter. Over 100,000 people attended the protests marches over the weekend so going by govt records 100 or so would have been infected and the potential for spreading it will have been great. We could lose many more lives because of this. That I am against!

Edited by PaulC

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

So why call it a pandemic? My attitude is based on the current health crisis that we are going through and the fact that many people including myself have observed the lockdown rules to the letter. Over 100,000 people attended the protests marches over the weekend so going by govt records 1000 or so would have been infected and the potential for spreading it will have been great. We could many more lives because of this. That I am against!

I agree that the timing is bad. I guess the protests must be a big deal if it transcends even a worldwide viral pandemic. At the end of the day people are risking their lives and the lives of others—but the issues they are protesting are deep-rooted and hundreds of years old. They're not issues that have appeared on a whim, but have been felt through multiple generations. That means something too. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why are ‘protesters’ attacking police? A small minority I’m sure but these people are complete scum. 

You'll always get some scum who see a peaceful protest as a way of causing trouble. 

Doesn't help we have a weak police force as well so they feel they can get away with it. 

Just now, Xela said:

You'll always get some scum who see a peaceful protest as a way of causing trouble. 

Doesn't help we have a weak police force as well so they feel they can get away with it. 

Is it also gives good causes bad press. Other protesters should turn on these horrible people and make it clear they are not welcome. 

Police are in an impossible position. 

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

A hate crime has to target a victim, not a symbol. If a British person moved somewhere and woke up to a flag burning on their lawn that could be classified as a hate crime as there is a target.

I'm really not sure who the victim is when a flag gets burnt to protest. Particularly by someone who is a citizen of that country and I don't think their colour is really relevant.

I think the distinction in your example is that it's likely a Union Jack flag being burnt in Africa would be because of hatred linked to historic invasion and oppression. **** knows what point a British person burning a Nigerian flag would be trying to prove and I certainly don't think they would be pilloried (by most) if there was a legitimate reason e.g. I don't think a white person burning an Isis flag would get stick because there is something obviously evil they would be protesting against.

Ok maybe not a hate crime but it is still provocation.

Some people may see it as an attack on what’s important to them. For example if that same person who decided to burn a flag was burning a picture of Mohammed. He probably wouldn’t be breathing right now. 

Before burning any religious or national symbol a person should be ready for the consequences.   If the kid that burned that flag gets the shit kicked out of him. As wrong as that would be, he would only have himself to blame. 

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Definitely a carefully planned act that they knew would get people’s attention.

I defend the right for someone to burn a flag as well as draw ‘offensive’ pictures of Mohammed a la Charlie Hebdo.

Where we differ is I would blame someone beating him up for their own actions regardless of the act being provocative, because one is legal and one isn’t. It’s a much less offensive version of the ‘what did they expect wearing that’ argument.

Nail. Head. 

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Dude, I said the video I saw was out of context.

I've seen another video (from that video) which is him putting a piece of paper away and saying "Those are the words from my friend who couldn't be here today", and then went into a sort of Q&A session saying he didn't have any words prepared.

Check your sauces, fool ;)  

Key word you missed 'allegedly' you must have missed that fool 😉

Regardless really silly of him tk do and very risky

Â