Racism Part two

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I have to say, I admire Gary Neville for having the courage to talk candidly about racism on Sky. 

They'll be looking to drop him now. 

They basically gave a disclaimer immediately after he said what he said today, presumably fearing they'd offended actual racists.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They basically gave a disclaimer immediately after he said what he said today, presumably fearing they'd offended actual racists.

I think it was more the political point he was making...despite it being factually accurate that the glorious leader of the nation has said numerous racist things, refused to apologise and has thereby given license to every bigotted rocket polisher in the land to say and do as they please.

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I do wish Americans would stop referring to black British people as 'African American'. 

But it's techically correct.  They have African heritage, and we're all American subjects, aren't we?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Fair play to the taxi driver for handling it like that.

Saw that last night 

The amazing thing is the drivers composure, the sad thing is that composure is likely to be the result of previous abuse 

Also saw people trying to defend it and suggest that it's not the uk because he says dollar, or that its not their part of the UK 

• Like 2

On 23/12/2019 at 23:04, mjmooney said:

I do wish Americans would stop referring to black British people as 'African American'. 

Have to be honest the entire term is weird to me. Why can't you just call them US citizens, north Americans or even Americans. 

If colour is needed to highlight wouldn't black even be better? 

You don't run around saying British Americans or British Australian? If so I've at least never heard it. Shit, you could argue Norwegian British should be a term. 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Have to be honest the entire term is weird to me. Why can't you just call them US citizens, north Americans or even Americans. 

You don't run around saying British Americans or British Australian? If so I've at least never heard it. Shit, you could argue Norwegian British should be a term. 

British Asians. It happens.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Its not your choice, it’s theirs. 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Also saw people trying to defend it and suggest that it's not the uk because he says dollar,

did the part where racist man said  "this is England" not give those people a clue ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interested to hear some views on the below.

Studies suggest that for a number of reason ethnic group such as Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Black African suffer from income poverty in this country a lot more than Indians and White. I believe Black Caribbeans are at the lower end too. 

Why do you think this is?

Surely all groups would have suffered from the same racial barriers?

I was thinking about this and maybe it’s down to being because those from India and the Caribbean came to the UK when there was a massive labour shortage so were able to earn a good living and pass this on to next generations? 

Whilst other ethnic groups may have come to the country later whilst it was falling on more difficult times. 

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Tbf a lot of people in this country whilst proud to be British are also proud of their heritage. So would prefer to be labelled as terms such as British Indian or British Pakistani rather than just British.  

Â