Racism Part two

Demitri_C

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it's wrong to label everyone A tory as racist that's like saying all Labour are anti semitic. Not all are just a group of that particular party. 

Well it's your lucky day son... Because that isn't what I did. 

My favourite topic is up and running again.  Let’s see for how long this time.

There’s racism, there’s polical incorrectness, there’s ignorance and there’s pure stupidity. 

Danny Baker managed to go public with all four in one go!!

Take a bow

5 hours ago, peterms said:

We can't know his intentions.  We can take a view on his actions.

Yes, this exactly.

And also on those of the BBC - we can't know their motivation for potting him, but not others who've done equally or worse things.

FWIW I don't believe his intentions were remotely racist. But clearly they appear racist, due to the nature of the image and the mixed race heritage of the baby. It was monumentally dumb, unaware and cloth eared, or whatever the phrase is.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

For anyone interested, this is what Danny Baker tweeted today by way of an apology and explanation - first tweet in a thread:

What do you make of those comments? 

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What do you make of those comments? 

I think it would have been far better if they'd been his response yesterday and I still don't think that he quite gets how his initial reaction didn't help the situation at all.

Still, it's an apology and an explanation. It's far more than a lot of people would do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think it would have been far better if they'd been his response yesterday and I still don't think that he quite gets how his initial reaction didn't help the situation at all.

Still, it's an apology and an explanation. It's far more than a lot of people would do.

What was his initial reaction? 

For what it’s worth I don’t think he is racist. He is just incredibly stupid. Either that or he was off his head when he posted that tweet. Can be the only explanation.

31 minutes ago, snowychap said:

My thoughts too snowy on this one. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What was his initial reaction? 

Well, there's his report of his response

Describing the moment he was told he'd lost his Saturday morning radio show, he said: "The BBC said they found it abhorrent.

"I told them 'f*** you, and f*** off'. That’s exactly what I said to them. It wasn’t a very long call."

and there's what he tweeted (same link, would have quoted the source tweet but it has sweary words)

After the news Baker tweeted to say: "The call to fire me from @bbc5live was a masterclass of pompous faux-gravity.

"Took a tone that said I actually meant that ridiculous tweet and the BBC must uphold blah blah blah.

"Literally threw me under the bus. Could hear the suits knees knocking. #f***em."

He seems to see himself as a hero/victim, in these little snippets.  Possibly someone with a bit more nous has scripted some more acceptable comments for him to voice since then, if they can get him to control his mouth for a few minutes and accept PR advice.

It doesn't signal awareness, regret, contrition, reflection, or any other vaguely positive qualities, does it?  Me, me, me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snowychap said:

From Jon Ronson’s “So you’ve been publicly shamed”

“It feels like they want an apology, but it’s a lie.” 

Mike Daisey and I were sitting in a Brooklyn restaurant. He was a big man and he frequently dabbed the perspiration from his face with a handkerchief that was always within his reach. 

“It’s a lie because they don’t want an apology,” he said. “An apology is supposed to be a communion – a coming together. For someone to make an apology someone has to be listening. They listen and you speak and there’s an exchange. That’s why we have a thing about accepting apologies. There’s a power exchange that happens. But they don’t want an apology.” He looked at me. “What they want is my destruction. What they want is for me to die. They will never say this because it’s too histrionic. But they never want to hear from me again for the rest of my life, and while they’re never hearing from me they have the right to use me as a cultural reference point whenever it services their ends. That’s how it would work out best for them. They would like me to never speak again.” He paused. “I’d never had the opportunity to be the object of hate before. The hard part isn’t the hate. It’s the object.”

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Stanley not having this Tammy chant-

That is embarrassing. Its not clever, its not funny, so why would these morons do that? If Tammy saw this, it might make him glad to see the back of us at seasons end.

He will see this. Whether he gets offended is another thing. The villa fans love him and they are not singing it in a malicious way. Maybe the drink has clouded their judgement slightly, but we all love Tammy. 

On 10/05/2019 at 09:09, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't believe those structures are as consigned to history as people want to believe, particularly white people. I'm not trying to be 'woke' about this, I think there is a genuine case to be made that the society we live in today is every bit as racist as it always has been.  

I'd be interested to know whether you, or anyone really, thought the Black Panthers were a racist organisation. They used language such as 'the white devil', yet to my mind their cause was just. To them, the white man WAS the devil when viewed through the prism of their oppression. 

Racism can be reduced to a simple concept of having preconceived ideas about someone based on their race i.e. believing that the skin colour / ethnicity of a person determines some other aspect of the person unrelated to skin colour / ethnicity.

This goes both ways, one minority can be racist towards another, a minority can be racist towards a majority group also. 

The power structure is important however because that relates to the impact and potency of that racism. Also, it is not just a power structure between one person and another, the weight of historical context has a significant impact on how a racist message or act is received.  

Â