Racism Part two

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, Xela said:

I think some see it as virtue signalling though. If companies really cared they wouldn't treat their staff like shit or have their products made in sweat shops in China or Bangladesh for example. 

Like you say some companies will be genuine and do things the right way but a lot will just see it as an opportunity to jump on a bandwagon. 

Here's a thread of all these companies and their profiting off slave labor:

Only genuine company I've seen so far is Ben and Jerry's. The rest are just cynically capitalizing off of this (as they're wont to do, given that's literally their whole MO).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I personally think Winston Churchill’s statue was vandalised by mindless thugs but I get how it can be seen a racially motivated.

But can anyone explain to me why Abraham Lincoln’s statue was vandalised? 

The funny thing about Lincoln is he originally didn’t oppose slavery where it already existed in 1850’s ,he was opposed to it expanding. In great debates in 1858-9 he actually said a a lot of racist things which were regarded as accepted for the time.

In the civil war he only decided to abolish slavery because he thought it would help the war effort 

He is one of those people who people might idolise but when you dig a bit deeper you discover things that are unpleasant.I often think it is wrong to judge historical people by standards which are accepted now. For that time he was advanced compared to many others.

Edited by Only2McInallys
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Only2McInallys said:

The funny thing about Lincoln is he originally didn’t oppose slavery where it already existed in 1850’s ,he was opposed to it expanding. In great debates in 1858-9 he actually said a a lot of racist things which were regarded as accepted for the time.

In the civil war he only decided to abolish slavery because he thought it would help the war effort 

He is one of those people who people might idolise but when you dig a bit deeper you discover things that are unpleasant.I often think it is wrong to judge historical people by standards which are accepted now.

Not sure how I feel about the historical standards argument. In a sense I understand it, but racism and slavery were just as wrong then as they are now, and there were plenty of people who believed this at the time, not least those on the receiving end of them. Like Churchill as an example from this thread. His racism directly led to the death of millions, and I'm not going to ignore that because there was a larger proportion of people who thought like him during his time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Are you aware of the 1943 Bengall Famine in which his policies had the effect of killing 2 to 3 million people? He even refused to send aid, afterhis policies of taking the rice for the "war effort" caused the famine in the first place. It's the only famine in recorded history, not caused by drought and the rice taken was stockpiled, not used to feed the troops. His rationale was that because the Indians "bred like Rabbits", any aid would be pointless. Effectively his policies caused a genocide of millions of people.

That's but one of many examples of his racism. I just that one he caused the deaths of millions

It really isn't as simple as he won the war but lets not focus on that

Churchill was not the direct cause of the famine though possible he did contribute to it by not diverting ships to bring aid . The cause was the Japanese taking control of Burma which cut off India’s rice supply.

Churchill however appointed Wavell, who mobilized the military to transport food and aid to the stricken regions .

its a long way from saying Indians breed like rabbits to killing 3 million people out of some racist ideology 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure how I feel about the historical standards argument. In a sense I understand it, but racism and slavery were just as wrong then as they are now, and there were plenty of people who believed this at the time, not least those on the receiving end of them. Like Churchill as an example from this thread. His racism directly led to the death of millions, and I'm not going to ignore that because there was a larger proportion of people who thought like him during his time.

You cant ignore it no more can you take away his status as a great man in our time of need. My argument is that to label him as a racist is plain wrong because in doing so you'll take away our heritage. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I wouldn’t disagree about Churchill but someone mentioned Lincoln’s statue being attacked and if we look at some of Lincoln’s views now we would find them wrong but for his time he was advancing ideas that led to the abolition of slavery.Is he to be judged by the standards now or then?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

My argument is that to label him as a racist is plain wrong because in doing so you'll take away our heritage.

He was that much of a racist, wikipedia has a page dedicated to his racism. Churchill was a racist, it really shouldn't be up for debate

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

I wouldn’t disagree about Churchill but someone mentioned Lincoln’s statue being attacked and if we look at some of Lincoln’s views now we would find them wrong but for his time he was advancing ideas that led to the abolition of slavery.Is he to be judged by the standards now or then?

I would contend that since there were fully fledged, earnest abolitionists during his time, he was behind the curve even then. As you mentioned, he only eventually opposed it for reasons other than its moral repugnance.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

Seems best to me to judge him both by the standards of the time *and* the standards of today, and surely that's what most of us do anyway? Ditto Churchill and any other historical figure.

• Like 3

**** love the tear down of that statue in Brizzle, a city I lived in and loved. The bigger question is why it was up for so long. Statues should not be for those that got rich off suffering - it ain't difficult. Nonetheless Priti Patel and Sajid Javid thinks it is wrong. Literally the most out of touch ruling party there has ever been. 

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Seems best to me to judge him both by the standards of the time *and* the standards of today, and surely that's what most of us do anyway? Ditto Churchill and any other historical figure.

So should we be destroying statues of Abraham Lincoln?

Â