Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

19 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I can't believe people on here prefer Elmo to Guilbert.

Elmo showed his level when he came on the other week (I can't remember whether it was Wet Spam or Brighton) and Jack, I seem to remember, played a fantastic through ball.  Elmo's first touch was harder than my shot!! 

it was the most pointless substitution ever from a losing position, he did feck all

46 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

That's why Klopp plays three defensive CM'ers I guess.

Full back is a balancing game and depends on how you link in with others.  As has been discussed in several threads on VT, our midfield is pretty attack oriented and therefore we need our full backs to be a bit more defensive.

Thats why, when you have both full backs and midfielders with a tendency to attack, it leaves the defensive side thin.

i often refer to the balance.....and thats part of it.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I can't believe people on here prefer Elmo to Guilbert.

Elmo showed his level when he came on the other week (I can't remember whether it was Wet Spam or Brighton) and Jack, I seem to remember, played a fantastic through ball.  Elmo's first touch was harder than my shot!! 

Yeah, it does seem that last season was his last competent one at this level. Until that game I could see the logic of him over Guilbert on the bench,  but if Elmo isn't putting decent balls into the box he is doing nothing.  May be time he's dropped, Guilbert back to the bench. 

The suggestion a few posts back has sold me on the idea of Cash moving further forward with guilbert at right back, if we want to switch it up in a more defensive way, rather than bringing on Traore for Trez.

Edited by MrBlack

39 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Yeah, it does seem that last season was his last competent one at this level. Until that game I could see the logic of him over Guilbert on the bench,  but if Elmo isn't putting decent balls into the box he is doing nothing.  May be time he's dropped, Guilbert back to the bench. 

The suggestion a few posts back has sold me on the idea of Cash moving further forward with guilbert at right back, if we want to switch it up in a more defensive way, rather than bringing on Traore for Trez.

We need AEM in our 18 as he's our current back up CB.

Could see be room for Freddie aswell.

If he dosen't feature at all over xmas he has no future here but then I suspect it's already been decided.

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We need AEM in our 18 as he's our current back up CB.

Could see be room for Freddie aswell.

If he dosen't feature at all over xmas he has no future here but then I suspect it's already been decided.

Should play next game with cash suspended. 

18 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

it was the most pointless substitution ever from a losing position, he did feck all

I can see the logic behind it tbh, he has a very good delivery from deep crosses, we were chasing the game and we don't really create much from the right, so Deano wanted an extra outlet on that side in the final minutes of the game. Didn't work out. 

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Elmo will play prob

Fred is too rash defensively and he's crossing is poor

Burnley does indeed look more like a team which suits Elmo more than Freddy, deep crosses will probably be more useful than pure athleticism. 

I fear Dean will play Elmo but I really hope Fred gets the nod.

i don't buy this he's rash because he puts in sliding tackles stuff, Guilbert is really good at shutting down attacks. It becomes a case of sliding tackle that misses its mark and the player still crosses for a goal is a calamity, but the defender who doesn't slide in or prevent the cross gets no blame. I'd personally rather the attempt was made.

He may have to temper his attacking runs though, as Cash clearly has.

27 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I fear Dean will play Elmo but I really hope Fred gets the nod.

i don't buy this he's rash because he puts in sliding tackles stuff, Guilbert is really good at shutting down attacks. It becomes a case of sliding tackle that misses its mark and the player still crosses for a goal is a calamity, but the defender who doesn't slide in or prevent the cross gets no blame. I'd personally rather the attempt was made.

He may have to temper his attacking runs though, as Cash clearly has.

Nothing to fear.

Elmo is a perfectly fine back up right back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Big game for him. Although I have a feeling elmo might get the nod.

Which in my opinion, would be the correct decision. Burnley will put balls in the box and have wood/Rodriguez attack them. Having a big man defending the back post, someone who is good in the air will be the correct call.

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

Considering how bad our RW options seem to be I'm surprised we haven't tried Cash/Guilbert together, both have looked good going forward and it doesn't matter if one is caught out up the pitch as the other can cover.

Exactly esp as Cash was a right winger till last season

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Nah think AEM is a cert given it will be physical and Burnley will be pinging long crossfield diagonals all night.

Guilbert is very good in the air he has a hell of a leap in him. Elmo is slow and weak. I don't get this notion of him.

Â