Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

On 10/10/2020 at 08:55, M_Afro said:

I hate the mentality of some people. This guy gets paid a huge amount. All he has to do is try his best. If his best isn’t good enough, which it hasn’t been so far, then we have to continue to pay his wages. All he has to do is keep trying to be good enough.

He’s happy to have a bit of a moan about not playing but undoubtedly he won’t be happy to take a pay cut to ensure that he can get a game elsewhere.

Keep your mouth shut son, work your socks off and try your best to get back in the team. 

In those quotes he basically says exactly what you’re saying there and says it’s up to him to fight for his place.

53 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Well I don't get it. For most of last season excluding jack he was one of our best players with perhaps mings on really challenging him. Frankly I think we have done him dirty. 

Was he??

On 07/10/2020 at 09:41, MaVilla said:

If we can't offload guilbert in this window, imo guilbert would be a better backup to targett than taylor, even without a left foot.

Its that simple for me.

I don’t really see this.  Taylor’s biggest issue is is total lack of offensive input.  His defending is fine.  Guilbert has very little offensive input on the right side, what’s he going to offer on the left?

8 hours ago, Thug said:

I don’t really see this.  Taylor’s biggest issue is is total lack of offensive input.  His defending is fine.  Guilbert has very little offensive input on the right side, what’s he going to offer on the left?

Guilbert, although not amazing, is simply better than taylor imo. (even at LB)

if you think Taylor is ok defensively i would disagree unfortunately, seems a bit of a trope to me that Taylor is good defensively but poor going forward, where i think him being poor going forward and average/below average defensively, is probably closer to the point.

the amount of time i have seen him fall on his face, miss a tackle, be in a poor position or get caught out defensively, i cant possibly agree he is good defensively, he's just better defensively than he is going forward, but thats nothing to shout about.

When taylor gets released next summer, imo he will struggle to find a mid table championship side to take him, i think he will end up (probably) at a bang average championship side, because thats his level.

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Was he??

He was our 3rd highest rated performer last season only Jack and John were better (and mcginn was really highly rated early in the season like an 8.2 up to week 10). We only won 1 game that he didn't play. The crystal palace game which we were a bit lucky to in my opinion as I think they had a goal wrongfully disallowed. Which could have changed the game.

Guilbert also averaged 3 tackles won per game last season which is very impressive especially since it was his first year in England and we struggled too force teams into dead ends last season.

Yes he turned off against Stoke but then he had played less than 300 minutes since restart prior to that game. No wonder he was rusty. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He was our 3rd highest rated performer last season only Jack and John were better (and mcginn was really highly rated early in the season like an 8.2 up to week 10). We only won 1 game that he didn't play. The crystal palace game which we were a bit lucky to in my opinion as I think they had a goal wrongfully disallowed. Which could have changed the game.

Guilbert also averaged 3 tackles won per game last season which is very impressive especially since it was his first year in England and we struggled too force teams into dead ends last season.

Yes he turned off against Stoke but then he had played less than 300 minutes since restart prior to that game. No wonder he was rusty. 

Whilst an individual player can not generally claim to have a material impact on a clubs form (Grealiah aside), it definitely goes to show he's not a weak link. Maybe the rating system values a tackle that stops a probable chance over an interception that prevents a probable chance, or something that rewards  Guilbert's style of play more than it is actually worth in real terms, but I never felt worried about him compared with how I feel about Targett.

Edited by MrBlack

17 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Whilst an individual player can not generally claim to have a material impact on a clubs form (Grealiah aside), it definitely goes to show he's not a weak link. Maybe the rating system values a tackle that stops a probable chance over an interception that prevents a probable chance, or something that rewards  Guilbert's style of play more than it is actually worth in real terms, but I never felt worried about him compared with how I feel about Targett.

Guilbert also averages 2 Interceptions a game as well. Which isn't elite but is still very good. Very few players won more combined tackles and interceptions than guilbert last season.

Also consider when we weren't playing guilbert we were either playing konsa out of position or Elmo who is a liability defensively. Which we couldn't afford for large portions of last season. 

Edited by MotoMkali

13 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Well I don't get it. For most of last season excluding jack he was one of our best players with perhaps mings on really challenging him. Frankly I think we have done him dirty. 

In you're opinion.

The coaches watched his performances and relegated him to 3rd choice.

As far as I am aware - there were no sizeable offers or indeed offers at all with the exception of 1 loan .....

We will do will to get 50% of what we paid for him imo.

11 hours ago, Thug said:

I take it back about attacking play..

he had 2 assists, compared to elmo’s 1, and even McGinns 3 having played fewer minutes than McGinn

Not too shabby for a right back 

Same as targett and we jizz about his attacking ability 

58 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Seems weird the test of the squad has been training all weekend and he’s been on holiday in Bournemouth for a few days. I mean can footballers book annual leave? Or has he been outcasted.

we don't know when the OS photos were taken. and even if training was saturday morning, can still go spend the afternoon/evening in bournemouth

i doubt he's been totally outcast

1 hour ago, Loxstock92 said:

No idea how legit but with him posting on Instagram in Bournemouth a few days ago could be that he had some meeting with them?

Indeed, he spent the weekend in Bournemouth, makes sense now.

King the other way might do too.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Indeed, he spent the weekend in Bournemouth, makes sense now.

King the other way might do too.

It does, but could also just be the press getting wind of a player being in a different city and making wild assumptions.

Tend to agree though, whilst it is an international break,  it's odd that he'd have time to go on a weekend holiday while others are still in training. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Seems sensible to me...Bournemouth should be top end of the Championship and a good season will either give him the profile for a good move for both the player and club (to Bournemouth if they come up); or give him of a shot of being back in the club's thoughts. And a recall clause in January - so 10 weeks and loads of game time.

Â