Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

Yeah get him out there, have a great season, and then hopefully either cash in or he comes in as backup to Cash next season. 

I really like the guy, but Smith and the board have earned the right to get rid of who they want from the squad. 

Some people have been crawing about having depth and now that we've actually gotten depth in one position for once people seem okay with getting rid of that depth.

Guilbert is a decent right back and more than capable of being backup to Cash. If he wants to leave, then okay sure lets cash in. But as long as he's willing to stay and try and fight for his spot, I think moving him on for anything less a good amount of money to be a terrible idea.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Some people have been crawing about having depth and now that we've actually gotten depth in one position for once people seem okay with getting rid of that depth.

Guilbert is a decent right back and more than capable of being backup to Cash. If he wants to leave, then okay sure lets cash in. But as long as he's willing to stay and try and fight for his spot, I think moving him on for anything less a good amount of money to be a terrible idea.

From a medium term viewpoint its better to have a young player out playing every week and developing rather than sitting on the bench, especially when Elmo has probably got another year in him as a backup. 

I think we'll benefit more from Guilbert developing while playing every week in an unforgiving league (the league we signed him for) rather than having 2 backup right backs in the squad 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weedman said:

From a medium term viewpoint its better to have a young player out playing every week and developing rather than sitting on the bench, especially when Elmo has probably got another year in him as a backup. 

I think we'll benefit more from Guilbert developing while playing every week in an unforgiving league (the league we signed him for) rather than having 2 backup right backs in the squad 

He'll turn 26 in 2 months and has played more than 100 games in the PL and Ligue 1 combined. I don't think Guilbert can be considered a young prospect anymore who just needs more experience to develop.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised if he's being moved on because of his moaning on the internet. We have a fairly tight knight group of players, and he's come across as a bit of a nob that might rock the boat.

He has age on his side, but Elmo is, for me, a better right back, and more versatile. We can get another season out of him and see where we stand in the summer.

• Like 3

I think cash is an improvement on Guilbert and the club has to evolve, in doing things like this.

I am not as excited about Guilbert as some on here, I guess it will all be resolved one way or another.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Alan Huttonitus. He isnt that good cant defend cant really attack but he can bomb on and crunch someone now and again with his pashun

Football fans are morons sometimes.

They just have varying opinions.....I suspect his tendency to tackle ( which is noble) deflects from his inability to position himself to avoid danger.....he is well caught out too many times, for me.

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He'll turn 26 in 2 months and has played more than 100 games in the PL and Ligue 1 combined. I don't think Guilbert can be considered a young prospect anymore who just needs more experience to develop.

I didn't realise he was 26, still, not exactly over the hill is he? Ligue 1 has about 3 decent teams in it as well and is nothing physically compared to English football, so he is still relatively inexperienced in that regard. 

I think it's fair to say he still has room to develop and that's far more likely to happen playing regularly than sitting on the bench 

38 minutes ago, weedman said:

I didn't realise he was 26, still, not exactly over the hill is he? Ligue 1 has about 3 decent teams in it as well and is nothing physically compared to English football, so he is still relatively inexperienced in that regard. 

I think it's fair to say he still has room to develop and that's far more likely to happen playing regularly than sitting on the bench 

Most likely if he develops it will be away from VP.

I don't get all the fuss we were mid table in the championship when we brought him - one French club were interested in taking him on loan - now Bournemouth might be interested (probably on loan) 

The player has been told himself he is third choice by the VP coaches.

I really don't know how much more evidence you need that no one in the game fancies this guy as a PL footballer.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't get all the fuss we were mid table in the championship when we brought him - one French club were interested in taking him on loan - now Bournemouth might be interested (probably on loan) 

I really don't know how much more evidence you need that no one in the game fancies this guy as a PL footballer.

I mean, literally all I'm saying is its good he's going out on loan as it might give him a chance to play regularly and see if he develops? And it won't affect us this year as Elmo is capable of being backup? 

Given the amount of well run teams that have let great players leave and horribly run teams that have managed to bring in absolute gems completely under the radar, no-one fancying the guy as a PL footballer after 1 season at the 4th worst team in the league in his first year in the country isn't necessarily the banker you seem to think it is. 

No one in the game fancied Tyrone Mings as a PL footballer until we signed him on loan in the Championship. Jamie Vardy was considered not good enough for Leicester in his first season in the Championship (I believe the general concensus was, he works hard, but they need better quality if they are to have a crack at promotion). We didn't consider Gary Cahill or Marc Albrighton to be good enough. Both have won the PL since leaving us. There are many, many more examples.

People in the game get things wrong all the time, I don't see what the big deal is about giving him a loan and seeing if he develops? It's not like we really lose a lot if he doesn't, cost a relative pittance and can't be on too high wages, what is there to be gained from completely writing the guy off after 1 season? 

56 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think most people on here who don't want to loan him think:

• He is not the best right back in the world BUT
  • He is a better right back than Elmo AND
  • He gives 100%

And the best PL teams have back up options for most positions.

If he goes, I am back to thinking please don't get injured Cash or Targett whilst I watch every Villa game!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, weedman said:

I mean, literally all I'm saying is its good he's going out on loan as it might give him a chance to play regularly and see if he develops? And it won't affect us this year as Elmo is capable of being backup? 

Given the amount of well run teams that have let great players leave and horribly run teams that have managed to bring in absolute gems completely under the radar, no-one fancying the guy as a PL footballer after 1 season at the 4th worst team in the league in his first year in the country isn't necessarily the banker you seem to think it is. 

No one in the game fancied Tyrone Mings as a PL footballer until we signed him on loan in the Championship. Jamie Vardy was considered not good enough for Leicester in his first season in the Championship (I believe the general concensus was, he works hard, but they need better quality if they are to have a crack at promotion). We didn't consider Gary Cahill or Marc Albrighton to be good enough. Both have won the PL since leaving us. There are many, many more examples.

People in the game get things wrong all the time, I don't see what the big deal is about giving him a loan and seeing if he develops? It's not like we really lose a lot if he doesn't, cost a relative pittance and can't be on too high wages, what is there to be gained from completely writing the guy off after 1 season? 

In terms of Aston Villa this season whether Freddie goes on loan to Bournemouth or not is of very little consequence either way.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Alan Huttonitus. He isnt that good cant defend cant really attack but he can bomb on and crunch someone now and again with his pashun

Football fans are morons sometimes.

I agree, he’s got character and I like him, but he is an average player. Defence is mainly about communication and positioning, and you get the impression he isn’t much good at either of these.

Our head coach played centre back, and one of our assistants was one of the best centre backs of all time. I think they have a good enough eye for a defender, and I trust their judgment.

It’s really annoying, and frankly a bit pathetic, that people seem to think that the only reason that some fans like him is because he does sliding tackles.

He’s fast, he has shown great ability in linking up attacking play, he has previously (though, in retrospect, not consistently) put in some great crosses and yes, he can also slide tackle.

Just because he’s still got a few areas of his game to work on (how many young players haven’t?), some fans think he’s utter tripe and continue to post nonsense about fans only liking him because he slide tackles.

If you’re guilty of the above, you’re no better than the blues fans who claim that all Grealish does is dive all game. :wave:

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

It’s really annoying, and frankly a bit pathetic, that people seem to think that the only reason that some fans like him is because he does sliding tackles.

He’s fast, he has shown great ability in linking up attacking play, he has previously (though, in retrospect, not consistently) put in some great crosses and yes, he can also slide tackle.

Just because he’s still got a few areas of his game to work on (how many young players haven’t?), some fans think he’s utter tripe and continue to post nonsense about fans only liking him because he slide tackles.

If you’re guilty of the above, you’re no better than the blues fans who claim that all Grealish does is dive all game. :wave:

He’s ok, not amazing, not bad.

Cash is a definite upgrade from the evidence so far.

just seemed to be bullied off the ball a little too easily in the early part of the season, and I can’t really remember if that improved much.

Never really been particularly useful going forward, and don’t really recall him putting any particularly dangerous balls into the area - but his stats of 2 assists is better than elmo’s and only one less than McGinn.

Hes an adequate squad player, and he’s likeable 

I’m happy to have him here, and Elmo doesn’t have much longer left in him tbh

• Like 3

Â