Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

we need a squad of players and he is a squad player - he's not terrible, but he's not the best right back. If he thinks he should be in the team every week, then he'd need to improve. 

Was clearly bought for the year we got promoted where we expected to be in the Championship still. 

9 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

If that was the case I would rather guilbert be on the bench anyway put him rb and put cash as RW. I mean we already have a winger on the bench and a striker. Really the only reason for elmo to be on the bench is if Smith was wanting to swap our front 3 which wouldn't happen as normally when we are losing it is due to tired legs in the middle. 

But if Cash gets injured during a match then Elmo is there to come on as a sub, as well as being able to cover RW and, apparently now, CB.

It might be the case that if Cash was out of contention for a game that Guilbert would start at RB and Elmo would still be on the bench covering, as suggested:

20 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

I think Elmo is only second choice because he covers multiple positions on the bench. If Cash was injured I suspect we'd see Fred starting in his place.

Although perhaps not, if this is true:

2 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

I believe in a French interview Guilbert mentioned that the coaching staff informed him he is 3rd choice. It adds-up as during Project Restart he only played after Elmo was injured.

I do like Guilbert but Cash is clearly an upgrade, so no room for sentiment really. If the new additions help players like Fred and Conor, who seem to be the type of characters most likely, to fight to improve, then all the better. I'd say it's likely that each of our 25 man squad will play some part this season, and if they don't then I would guess we'd be very successful as a result of largely fielding our best team.

Edited by fightoffyour

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like against arsenal elmo would get torn to pieces if he has to defend against Saka and auba. And with cash's horror display against Leeds and southampton as well as a series of poor challenges in the games prior he needs to be dropped for a couple of games. As such I feel guilbert should play. He was our best player against them in the game we won last season and it seems only fair that we give him the same opportunity. 

9 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I feel like against arsenal elmo would get torn to pieces if he has to defend against Saka and auba. And with cash's horror display against Leeds and southampton as well as a series of poor challenges in the games prior he needs to be dropped for a couple of games. As such I feel guilbert should play. He was our best player against them in the game we won last season and it seems only fair that we give him the same opportunity. 

Smith doesn't rate him

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Smith doesn't rate him

I have no clue why. It is honestly his weirdest decision apart from mcginns position. He was consistently among our best performers last season and is very solid defensively and for me offers more going forward than elmo. Not necessarily on his own production but more to do with the fact that his overlaps create more space for the RW and rcm. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 04/11/2020 at 17:14, MotoMkali said:

I have no clue why. It is honestly his weirdest decision apart from mcginns position. He was consistently among our best performers last season and is very solid defensively and for me offers more going forward than elmo. Not necessarily on his own production but more to do with the fact that his overlaps create more space for the RW and rcm. 

He wasnt.

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He wasnt.

Statistically speaking he was. We won one game without him. He averaged a rating of 6.97 third among our players behind only Jack and McGinn (who has a really high rating at the start of the season). He was top 10 in tackles won per game and 20 or 21st for interceptions per game. He was the 14th highest rated full back in the league.

He also got the same number of assists as elmo I believe. He also got the same number of assists as targett. 

Edited by MotoMkali

If you are having to make a sliding tackle to win the ball you have already made a mistake. Sliding tackles for defenders is only last resort and should be avoidable if you have good positional awareness.

I will not applaud him for that although i can understand he is popular among some fans.

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If you are having to make a sliding tackle to win the ball you have already made a mistake. Sliding tackles for defenders is only last resort and should be avoidable if you have good positional awareness.

I will not applaud him for that although i can understand he is popular among some fans.

Disagree. He is coming up against the best and most creative attackers in the world. It is completely believable that they get past him on the first time of asking his slide tackles are recoveries yes but not because of mistakes. If Jack beats someone it isn't because they made a mistake it is simply because jack is brilliant. And someone has to win the ball whether it is an interception or a tackle. And guilbert was tied for first in interceptions won for us last year with targett. And guilbert made 2 additional tackles a game where targett would have either not chased back or just simply failed to recover. 

It was weird how attitudes towards Guilbert seemed to change as soon as we bought Cash, suddenly he went from a player most people seemed to like despite obvious flaws, to cries of 'not good enough, get rid, terrible player' and suddenly he is even behind Elmo in the pecking order who maybe good for the odd cameo but has never looked better at right back than Guilbert (or anyone else for that matter). I presume Dean thought he could sell Guilbert and get some money and keep the experienced Elmo who had no resale value and was annoyed that no one came in from him.

Don't get me wrong, I like Cash, despite his two pretty bad games I still see him as first choice, but if he has another poor game against Arsenal then I would rather Guilbert comes in than Elmo.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

It was weird how attitudes towards Guilbert seemed to change as soon as we bought Cash, suddenly he went from a player most people seemed to like despite obvious flaws, to cries of 'not good enough, get rid, terrible player' and suddenly he is even behind Elmo in the pecking order who maybe good for the odd cameo but has never looked better at right back than Guilbert (or anyone else for that matter). I presume Dean thought he could sell Guilbert and get some money and keep the experienced Elmo who had no resale value and was annoyed that no one came in from him.

Don't get me wrong, I like Cash, despite his two pretty bad games I still see him as first choice, but if he has another poor game against Arsenal then I would rather Guilbert comes in than Elmo.

I don’t think anybody’s attitude has changed, just think it’s a bit annoying that the justice for Guilbert brigade comes out as soon as Cash has a bad game, or when Targget gets a bad game they want to convert him into a LB, few weeks ago somebody wanted him at CB, nothing against Guilbert quite like him tbh but it’s ridiculous just because he’s out of the team people think he’s better than he is, Im quite sure he will play a part at some point this season and when he does he will have my full support.

• Like 1

I think the challenge for us is that we only really have room for one back up right back - we've got one of the best prospects in the country coming through from our U23's and there needs to be a pathway to the first team for him - at the moment, there are too many bodies in the position - I think Kesler can be our back up at the start of next season. I'm not sure we'll need either of Elmo or Guilbert then.

I really like Guilbert, but I think he'll need to move on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the challenge for us is that we only really have room for one back up right back - we've got one of the best prospects in the country coming through from our U23's and there needs to be a pathway to the first team for him - at the moment, there are too many bodies in the position - I think Kesler can be our back up at the start of next season. I'm not sure we'll need either of Elmo or Guilbert then.

I really like Guilbert, but I think he'll need to move on.

I didn't know we had such a highly rated young right-back coming through. But still, Kesler is only 17 and hasn't even been out on loan yet. I think its a bit too early to expect him to slot straight into our 25 man squad even by next season. In the mean time, I think Guilbert should definitely be backup. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

On 04/11/2020 at 17:14, MotoMkali said:

But he is not solid....his positional play is questionable, he leaves gaps, he gets caught out.....he is a willing runner, but not up to this level.

problem is we have no standout full backs.......bit early to judge Cash.

On 03/11/2020 at 23:27, MotoMkali said:

I’m a fan of Freddie, but without injuries he’s not playing tonight. Smith isn’t the kind of manager to drop someone after a bad game. 

• 4 weeks later...

Is he one of the covid deaths? Forgot he existed...he should have gone in the summer rather than staying and trying to fight for his place. Cash is miles better than him and Elmo is okay as cover. 

Edited by villa89

Â