Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

upgrade on Elmo so the squad has gotten stronger

We've upgraded the backup fullback options for free basically.

We just need to sign a CB now and our defense is absolutely sorted. Can't remember the last time I've ever said that.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We've upgraded the backup fullback options for free basically.

We just need to sign a CB now and our defense is absolutely sorted. Can't remember the last time I've ever said that.

Probably some time around 2000.

BC.

Great to see him back, nice that he recognised there is a lot of support for him.

Assuming he is happy fighting for his place, and stays motivated if he isn't picked for the first game, he will be the best like for like sub we have on the bench.

Be great to see what he can do in a team that isn't massively underperforming. Towards the end of the 2019 season when we picked up, he was among those playing their best football and looked very promising. Not to mention his great performances on loan last year.

If we sign a right sided CB I think he might be off this summer. We played Targett, Mings, Huase and Konsa at RB in last two games of last season (winning both). We've Young who can play LB or RB and we've Kesler now on a 5 year contract. 

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Just don't see him playing , he's 26 he isn't winding down his career and he isn't a youngster learning his trade.

He needs to be playing. He won't do that here. Engels had the same problem.

Yup.

This is the classic problem of having an established first eleven.

The so called back up players will sooner or later turn unhappy with the lack of play time.

Ferguson got around this problem by rotating a lot, but Smith is not that type of manager who likes to rotate. We'll see how this will all play out but i reckon Guilbert will leave the club in the not too distant future.

18 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's a strange one isn't it? Seems a very popular figure among both fanbase and players. Is always very supportive of us and the lads even when not involved etc.

Are we sure it's that " Smith doesn't like him " ? and not something else?

I think I accidentally hit on why we let him go last season when I was talking to someone on reddit about him. Essentially, due to playing Grealish and Troare (and this season Buendia), our wingers are very narrow, so a lot of our width comes from Targett and Cash overlapping. Whilst Guilbert is a very good defensive FB (looking at his stats, he's one of the better defensive FBs in the Top 5 leagues), he's lacking when going forwards which can stifle our attack. So I don't think it's that Smith doesn't like him per se, more that he just doesn't fit with the way we play.

It does make me wonder though with his defensive abilities if he could do a job as CB back up?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I think I accidentally hit on why we let him go last season when I was talking to someone on reddit about him. Essentially, due to playing Grealish and Troare (and this season Buendia), our wingers are very narrow, so a lot of our width comes from Targett and Cash overlapping. Whilst Guilbert is a very good defensive FB (looking at his stats, he's one of the better defensive FBs in the Top 5 leagues), he's lacking when going forwards which can stifle our attack. So I don't think it's that Smith doesn't like him per se, more that he just doesn't fit with the way we play.

It does make me wonder though with his defensive abilities if he could do a job as CB back up?

I think it was a money saving venture for FFP primarily. Have someone else pay his wages while we have Elmo as cover in his last year of contract.

Keep Guilbert fresh and playing by sending him out on loan to get game time and avoid paying his salary.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Essentially, due to playing Grealish and Troare (and this season Buendia), our wingers are very narrow, so a lot of our width comes from Targett and Cash overlapping. Whilst Guilbert is a very good defensive FB (looking at his stats, he's one of the better defensive FBs in the Top 5 leagues), he's lacking when going forwards

I think stats wise Guilbert’s forward play is better than Cash, but I think that’s more down to the league he was playing in and also the highlighted bit above. 

Traore is a liability defensively and that’s why Cash’s attacking stats are so low. 

I personally think they’re very evenly matched and I also think whoever our RB is Buendia will help a load more than Traore.

7 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Statistically, he was one of the best defensive fullbacks in Ligue 1 for Caen when we signed him.  He was a bargain signing for us, considering we weren't even in the Championship playoff picture when we offered him a contract, but he still isn't top half Premier League quality.  I don't think anyone really planned on Matty Cash hitting the ground running as quickly as he did last season, so chances for Freddy were much slimmer than anticipated.  He himself may have asked for the loan so he could come back and fight for a place in the team this season after Elmo left.

7 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Cash rarely overlapped last season and Guilbert matches him in attacking output. His passing is worse but his actual crossing is just as good. 

Â