Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

38 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't think Engels is on big bucks tbf. He must know this is a level above his talent grade, so fair play if he's happy to sit on the bench - we kinda need people who aren't going to be causing problems demanding first team football if they aren't good enough, because you can't bank on injuries happening - they might, they might not. 

Looking online the guestimates are anywhere between £35-55,000 a week and Guilbert £19-27,000. Then again I could just make up a number and publish it, no idea how accurate any of this is.

Edited by The Fun Factory

33 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Looking online the guestimates are anywhere between £35-55,000 a week and Guilbert £19-27,000. Then again I could just make up a number and publish it, no idea how accurate any of this is.

Seems a little high tbf but who knows? I have honestly no idea. 35-55 is a big difference, though. If it's 35 then it's about right for a backup player in a top-half side tbf - apparently the average wage for a player in the league is 60k

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Seems a little high tbf but who knows? I have honestly no idea. 35-55 is a big difference, though. If it's 35 then it's about right for a backup player in a top-half side tbf - apparently the average wage for a player in the league is 60k

It's about right for a competent back up player.  Are we sure that Engels is competent? Feels like he hasn't played for ua for over a year, maybe 1 game in that time?

For Guilbert, my view is he is a more than capable backup, very well demonstrated by his performances in France. And if he's on less it would be madness to get rid of him,  unless he wanted to leave 

He can cover RB and LB
He's had a good loan - which will help retain his value.
He can fight for his place next year, which allows us to rest the 'Mattys' if needed. What's not to like?

And if this means that Kessler can go out on loan and get a season of first team football under his belt - perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

This guy going to be a very crucial piece of our puzzle for next year I feel.

Covers two positions, on low wages, perfectly good enough at right back to possibly even claim the first choice spot if he delivers the performances he did in France. 

Saves us buying an unknown quantity (or 2) and already familiar with the squad. Seems like a good lad, and has said the right things on social media when things have happened with Cash this year, suggesting he's not holding any grudges.

Be amazed if we sell him given the turnover it would then necessitate with Elmo and Taylor but going. 

• Like 2

Just now, MrBlack said:

This guy going to be a very crucial piece of our puzzle for next year I feel.

Covers two positions, on low wages, perfectly good enough at right back to possibly even claim the first choice spot if he delivers the performances he did in France. 

Saves us buying an unknown quantity (or 2) and already familiar with the squad. Seems like a good lad, and has said the right things on social media when things have happened with Cash this year, suggesting he's not holding any grudges.

Be amazed if we sell him given the turnover it would then necessitate with Elmo and Taylor but going. 

Really. I think he's done here. Most likely another loan

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Really. I think he's done here. Most likely another loan

Yes, really. I only think he's done if he won't accept fighting for his place. Indications from what he's said and done are that he will want to fight for it.

As such, for me it is a no brainer to keep him and avoid having to buy at least 1 other replacement, that may not settle, and for them to be good enough I'd expect them to have higher wages.

18 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Yes, really. I only think he's done if he won't accept fighting for his place. Indications from what he's said and done are that he will want to fight for it.

As such, for me it is a no brainer to keep him and avoid having to buy at least 1 other replacement, that may not settle, and for them to be good enough I'd expect them to have higher wages.

A sensible argument. But bottom line I don't think he is rated by the current coaching staff. 

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

You don't send a 26 year old out on loan back to his home country to then reintegrate him back to the squad the next year.

He isn't rated and he just isn't good enough. It's that simple.

I know. I'm staggered how many people don't see that.

If we signed a full back this summer who had just been rated 7.2 in Ligue 1 by WhoScored, we’d be delighted. 

What more do you want from a backup? Why sign more players than necessary, when there’s no guarantee the one coming in is better than the one you’re trying to flog? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rich192 said:

If we signed a full back this summer who had just been rated 7.2 in Ligue 1 by WhoScored, we’d be delighted. 

What more do you want from a backup? Why sign more players than necessary, when there’s no guarantee the one coming in is better than the one you’re trying to flog? 

We aren't in the business of having "back ups" for much longer. We are going big. Even Cash's position will be under threat as will most of the starting 11 in a year or two..

44 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

There's what should happen and what most likely will. I don't think he is rated at VP. And think he will go out on loan next season.

58 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We aren't in the business of having "back ups" for much longer. We are going big. Even Cash's position will be under threat as will most of the starting 11 in a year or two..

This is absolutely not what will happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

They are big players. If Cash and the likes don't take us to challenging for top 4 we will go from 30m right backs to 40m in a few years

A few years maybe. You said one or two! 

• Like 1

Â