Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

41 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

with konsa also stepping in more than adequately to cover, i think it's safe to say we won't be signing a RB this summer

Good point, Konsa was fine at RB for the odd game.

Echo the sentiments, Fred deserves another go. Not as first-choice it would seem but a very capable understudy for a lesser opponent or Cup game.

Cash is great but prone to perhaps a suspension here and there and/or injury.

He has to come back and be allowed to fight for a spot. IMO he hadn't fully settled by the time Dean decided he preferred Elmo. Which was the wrong choice anyway, purely based on age, pace, energy.

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

He has to come back and be allowed to fight for a spot. IMO he hadn't fully settled by the time Dean decided he preferred Elmo. Which was the wrong choice anyway, purely based on age, pace, energy.

I think we knew Guilbert's time would be limited this season, and at a peak year for his progression as a player, it made sense to get him on loan playing a lot of football while we had an alternative in Elmo who we were stuck paying for regardless.

I agree Elmo was very passed it this season, but I guess they were playing efficient with our money (helps FFP) and expecting Cash to be available 90% of the time based on his previous season.

• Like 1

Season just gone was Elmos swan song with us...

It was also Cash’s first with us and first in the top flight...

I believe (and I could be wrong) that Deano went with experience over youth for the backup this season and let Fred go out on loan to keep him up to speed, fresh and alert so he could come back and be backup (and provide some youthful competition for the spot) this year now Elmo has left...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

With Ash arriving the club is probably looking to loan out Guilbert or sell potentially

I can’t see the logic behind your post. A left back/winger arrives so we let our back up right back leave?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Happy to see him back. He’s second in line to Cash but we will need him, he’s had a great season in France from a personal perspective and he’s more than good enough for the squad.

Agree and we will need him/someone because Cash is a rough boy, he will get knocks. Unless the plan is to utilise Ezri if needed. Personally I'd like Freddie as back up and a bench of Hause Freddie and Ash covers so much that we can fill the bench with others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

I can’t see the logic behind your post. A left back/winger arrives so we let our back up right back leave?

We signed Buendia as well so I reckon Martinez may be off 

Glad to see him back though, I really like him as a player and I'm sure there'll be plenty of chances for him to impress as an understudy to Cash 

51 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well, I like him even if Smith doesn't. We should definitely keep him. 

It's a strange one isn't it? Seems a very popular figure among both fanbase and players. Is always very supportive of us and the lads even when not involved etc.

Are we sure it's that " Smith doesn't like him " ? and not something else?

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's a strange one isn't it? Seems a very popular figure among both fanbase and players. Is always very supportive of us and the lads even when not involved etc.

Are we sure it's that " Smith doesn't like him " ? and not something else?

Doesn't rate him, might have been a better way to put it. Or the coaching staff. Strange, as you say.

• Like 1

Would be happy to give him another chance. We're miles better defending as unit now compared to 2019 and think some of his runs and crosses would be great for Ollie.

Don't think the manager is too keen though so suspect that will be a problem.

Â