Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

I'd sell Guilbert, extend Elmo for another year and promote Kessler. Elmo is a key presence in the squad and he would be a big help to Kessler. Go with the 3 RBs next season. I feel Guilbert returning would mean less chance's for Kessler

• Like 2

I like Elmo but he’s about 47 years old. We can’t be extending that contract.

Time to hang up the boots or go for a last hurrah in Egypt, or whatever.

• Like 1

Guest av1
6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I'd sell Guilbert, extend Elmo for another year and promote Kessler. Elmo is a key presence in the squad and he would be a big help to Kessler. Go with the 3 RBs next season. I feel Guilbert returning would mean less chance's for Kessler

Agreed. Cash is clearly first choice so barring injury a back up is going to be required for maybe 5/6 games per year. Elmo is still relatively dependable and in an emergency can fill in at CB. 

he’s also a great team member (not saying Guilbert isn’t, but you can see from the sidelines that he’s a proper team player. All things considering I’d probably sell Fred.

7 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I wouldn't. Imagine Cash snaps his ankle just after the transfer window closes and is out for a few months. Elmo is only getting worse at this stage and Kessler is completely unproven, it might very well be the case that he's not good enough to be a regular starter at this level. I wouldn't take that gamble.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, av1 said:

Agreed. Cash is clearly first choice so barring injury a back up is going to be required for maybe 5/6 games per year. Elmo is still relatively dependable and in an emergency can fill in at CB. 

he’s also a great team member (not saying Guilbert isn’t, but you can see from the sidelines that he’s a proper team player. All things considering I’d probably sell Fred.

Exactly, especially for the Cup games he can play CB or RB and captain the side. We can't rely on Kessler as our only back up RB. If we have Guilbert back we have to play him ahead of Kessler in games Cash doesn't play in otherwise why bring him back? Kessler getting time ahead of Elmo if Cash stays fit or Elmo in as cover for Cash if he's injured. 

It's a trade off basically to back Kessler advancement at the risk of Cash getting a long term injury. 

Elmo is a great professional and served us well but he has looked terrible in half of his cameo appearances and average to adequate in the other, every time he plays all forward play down our right wing goes out the window. He's someone we can get off the wage books and probably on fairly decent wages. So far all the all guard have run down their contracts and not been offered new deals.

Guilbert is younger and more capable, you can bet any loan abroad involves us subsidising his wages, so may aswell keep him as back up.

Be interesting to see him play in an improved side, he was by no means poor last season or even our worst player, he had some off games but no more than anyone else. He also put in some good shifts.

Even if it's just one more season until we can bring Kessler through.

Elmo is not the answer and even if we can sell Guilbert it seems pointless doing that then having to buy a player who 'knows they will be back up to Cash' from day one and third choice behind Kessler in the not too distant future.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

Elmo is a great professional and served us well but he has looked terrible in half of his cameo appearances and average to adequate in the other, every time he plays all forward play down our right wing goes out the window. He's someone we can get off the wage books and probably on fairly decent wages. So far all the all guard have run down their contracts and not been offered new deals.

Guilbert is younger and more capable, you can bet any loan abroad involves us subsidising his wages, so may aswell keep him as back up.

Be interesting to see him play in an improved side, he was by no means poor last season or even our worst player, he had some off games but no more than anyone else. He also put in some good shifts.

Even if it's just one more season until we can bring Kessler through.

Elmo is not the answer and even if we can sell Guilbert it seems pointless doing that then having to buy a player who 'knows they will be back up to Cash' from day one.

Elmo has a sensational hair transplant though. 

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 08:53, Rolta said:

The level between them is far too big to do this, imo.

He actually played in some of our best defensive performances of 19/20. Not a huge sample but he started v Everton in the 2-0 win where he looked like the new Delaney with all those great slide tackles near the end, 0-0 v West Ham, 1-2 v Liverpool (subbed on 69 minutes when it was 0-0), 2-0 v Newcastle, 1-2 at Burnley, both legs of the Leicester cup win and the came on after the first 25 minutes for the Arsenal 1-0 win.

Considering how bad our defensive structure was for most of last season that's a pretty good ratio although he had a really poor run of games in February/March (think that's when Dean lost confidence in him).

I certainly wouldn't be against keeping him, I just feel like with Engels DS has long made up his mind and will move them on if we got decent bids otherwise it's just another year of minimal playing and valuation decreases further.

11 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Exactly, especially for the Cup games he can play CB or RB and captain the side. We can't rely on Kessler as our only back up RB. If we have Guilbert back we have to play him ahead of Kessler in games Cash doesn't play in otherwise why bring him back? Kessler getting time ahead of Elmo if Cash stays fit or Elmo in as cover for Cash if he's injured. 

It's a trade off basically to back Kessler advancement at the risk of Cash getting a long term injury. 

Isn't Kesler seen more of a right winger in the long run? I'm sure there's always comments of him basically playing in the front 3 in youth games. Think a loan move up to January or even the full season is right move for him at this point, he had a good taste of it v Liverpool so needs to go somewhere and start 20-30 games. This is why we appointed Jedi for decisions like this.

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Selling Guilbert would be dumb tbh.

I'm gonna make a prediction. With or without us, he's going to make the French national team in the next couple of years.

You never know...Amavi got a call up about a year after leaving us. Won't be doing that just playing league cup for us next season though.

I really feel like I was watching a different right back to most people.

French call up? Come on now.

The bloke was getting ripped apart week after week. He was being kept out of the side by a 32 year old former winger.  I like the bloke I like his commitment and his passion but he is not at the level. We have about 50 coaches and assistants to the regional manager and none of them seemingly rated him. He signed when we were a mid table club which sorts of tells you what pedigree he has in Europe.

I hope if he comes back in preseason he takes his chance he kicks on proves me wrong but I don't think it is likely he forces his way in or sticks around to be No.2 right back which is probably his level.

If anything we will promote a kid or buy another right back from Europe in a year or two.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Selling Guilbert would be dumb tbh.

I'm gonna make a prediction. With or without us, he's going to make the French national team in the next couple of years.

France are a bit weak in the RB position but I can’t see that happening though lol, I like Guilbert and have no issues with him hanging about to fight for his place but let’s not pretend he’s better than he is next season he’s 27  and played most of his career in a relegation scrap , if he had any chance of making the france squad he would be playing week in week out for a half decent team.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

The bloke was getting ripped apart week after week. He was being kept out of the side by a 32 year old former winger.  I like the bloke I like his commitment and his passion but he is not at the level. We have about 50 coaches and assistants to the regional manager and none of them seemingly rated him. He signed when we were a mid table club which sorts of tells you what pedigree he has in Europe.

I hope if he comes back in preseason he takes his chance he kicks on proves me wrong but I don't think it is likely he forces his way in or sticks around to be No.2 right back which is probably his level.

If anything we will promote a kid or buy another right back from Europe in a year or two.

Although I don’t disagree with most of what you say, but being kept out of the team for Elmo is a managerial opinion, doesn’t have to be the right decision. 

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 20:33, av1 said:

Guilbert has played Lb, CB, RB and CDM throughout his career. He is a more versatile defender than elmo epically with his pace and strength advantage. 

On 07/05/2021 at 15:04, rodders0223 said:

That's just wrong. When he was fit he played.

His first game he was fit after restart was the crystal Palace or Everton game. And then after elmo was injured against arsenal he shut up Auba and started for the last 2.

Guest av1
1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Guilbert has played Lb, CB, RB and CDM throughout his career. He is a more versatile defender than elmo epically with his pace and strength advantage. 

Yes but Elmo is happy being a squad player, Guilbert isn’t. Elmo has no resale value, Guilbert does. 

Just now, av1 said:

Yes but Elmo is happy being a squad player, Guilbert isn’t. Elmo has no resale value, Guilbert does. 

Guilbert wants to fight for his place here. I'd rather have someone want to compete for the first team place than be happy being a squad player. 

• Like 2

With our lack of reliable wingers bar grealish, the value in keeping him outways selling him unless it's for silly money.

Any youth players we use don't count towards first team squads and this season we only had 24 first team players I think ? 

Can cover right back left back and right midfield. Elmo will be gone next year or coaching and Taylor will be gone.

No point spending more on another right back unless they are better than cash and I can't see us spending again on right back as would be looking at 25 million plus for a better right back.

Gilbert has again raised his profile in France so there will be interest so I can see if offer 12 million plus we may sell but france is skint

On 05/05/2021 at 13:33, CVByrne said:

Yes, I agree.

I don't think Fred is happy playing second fiddle and wants first team football. He won't get that here and will be sold in the summer.

Â