Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's always poor v Chelsea for some reason, gave away goals in both fixtures last season and you could tell they targeted him as weaker of two CBs today.

I think after the disruption in August he's been very solid but that first goal was terrible.

Think it was a terrible back pass which led to a goal? Which he apologised for to be fair. 

Just a few others I remember, we were 3-1 up against Leeds and his individual errors led to them hauling it back to 3-3. He gave away a penalty at Anfield when not tracking Salah properly which led to another loss.

Ultimately, in my opinion, these errors add up and the lost points accumulate though.

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Because it's been an echo chamber in this thread for ages. Any time I've been in here expressing my view, as I'm entitled to do (this is a message forum), I've had people getting very arsey, making personal comments etc, all with firm backing from others who feel the same and are just as vocal and free to say what they want. Which is usually just a shallow variation on "he's our best CB so wind your neck in". Little substance.

If at the end of the day my opinion bothers you so much then maybe just ignore it? Or don't, but you might want to leave off asking me why I'm here.

It's the same reason people are in the Gerrard thread day after day complaining about him, they love Villa and not our manager. I love Villa, not Tyrone. I don't see you in there asking people why they're here.

you're right, and for that i do apologise...sincerely.

people get arsey though, when they do indeed provide substance as to why we think he's our best CB, and a minority choose to ignore it. when the statistics of villa's (and england's) win record without him back up how badly we miss him are posted, also get ignored.  when mings does something that every other defender in the league does (i.e. fouls over 30 yards from goal to break down a dangerous attack) and it's put into the bucket of an 'error'

but you're right. and to be honest the constant anti-gerrard posts are just as tedious (even though i agree) and the forum rules do say that sometimes one should agree to disagree, make their point and move on. so i'll do just that

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

You make a good point but still doesn’t make for pleasant reading. I’m not sure of the statistics for errors leading to shots but again I imagine he’d be quite high up there too. I don’t think he’s good enough to be honest. For me he sits with El Ghazi, Trez, etc. Thank you for what you’ve done for the club but it’s time to move on. Just my opinion and I know a few will shoot me down but if we’re serious about progressing, even without Gerrard, we need a better CB. 

we signed one, just that he ruptured his achilles during the second game. 

• Sad 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

you're right, and for that i do apologise...sincerely.

people get arsey though, when they do indeed provide substance as to why we think he's our best CB, and a minority choose to ignore it. when the statistics of villa's (and england's) win record without him back up how badly we miss him are posted, also get ignored.  when mings does something that every other defender in the league does (i.e. fouls over 30 yards from goal to break down a dangerous attack) and it's put into the bucket of an 'error'

but you're right. and to be honest the constant anti-gerrard posts are just as tedious (even though i agree) and the forum rules do say that sometimes one should agree to disagree, make their point and move on. so i'll do just that

Fair enough, I appreciate and respect the maturity tbh

10 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Think it was a terrible back pass which led to a goal? Which he apologised for to be fair. 

Just a few others I remember, we were 3-1 up against Leeds and his individual errors led to them hauling it back to 3-3. He gave away a penalty at Anfield when not tracking Salah properly which led to another loss.

Ultimately, in my opinion, these errors add up and the lost points accumulate though.

Yeah that was the one. In the home fixture he watched and admired Lukaku who rose unmarked to simply head in at 1-1.

Still he's been pretty good in 2022, since the Leeds game where he wasn't great.

Giving away the free kick was no different to Koulibaly getting done and fouling Ramsey and getting a yellow card and he's a world class CB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah that was the one. In the home fixture he watched and admired Lukaku who rose unmarked to simply head in at 1-1.

Still he's been pretty good in 2022, since the Leeds game where he wasn't great.

Giving away the free kick was no different to Koulibaly getting done and fouling Ramsey and getting a yellow card and he's a world class CB.

Oh yeah you can’t lay the blame at Mings’ door for the second, Martinez should do better.

I’ve posted enough on Ty today anyway, hope he does better and we cut out these mistakes but I think I’ll probably be in here waffling again soon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Now apply the same criteria to other players, because you could easily count up errors for them as well.

Konsa got himself sent off twice last season, was constantly getting caught out of position and failing to mark and track runners. Plenty of goals against down to him. Cash gave away penalties and got caught out at the back post often.

You could even criticise our new CB this season in the small sample he played. 1st Bournemouth goal completely mis judges the first header from the corner (he goes for it and it goes right over his head). 2nd goal standing next to Emi at the nearpost marking no one (no Bournemouth player within 10 yards, ball was never going there). Everton goal he overcommits and ends up off the pitch while the Everton player cuts back and squares for the tap in.

Now those are massively harsh criticisms.

But that's the kind of standard Mings seems to get held to.

That said, he deserves every bit of stick he's getting for the first goal today.

• Like 2

Poor mistake for the first, I don't blame him for the second it didn't look like a foul and you can't blame Mings for Mount scoring an outrageous free kick.

Mings hasn't lost us the game though; poor finishing and not taking our chances again has done that.

• Like 3

I think with that, Mings has now sealed a break from competitive football next month. He has proven Southgate right, and that’s him done at International level now. 

18 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I think with that, Mings has now sealed a break from competitive football next month. He has proven Southgate right, and that’s him done at International level now. 

Southgate was a muppet for dropping him in the first place but yeah unlikely he gets back in which is a shame as he would be a great member of the squad imo. Certainly a better choice that one or two others that's for sure!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, birdman said:

Southgate was a muppet for dropping him in the first place but yeah unlikely he gets back in which is a shame as he would be a great member of the squad imo. Certainly a better choice that one or two others that's for sure!

I agree, he didn’t deserve to lose his place at the time. His error today in front of Southgate would put that final nail in his coffin now. It’s probably for the best though, as I think England in Qatar is going to be a bit of a disaster this World Cup.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SuperTed said:

I've been saying it for awhile. Every error he makes, comes at a cost. That one today, if you seen that on the park Sunday morning, you would be appalled. Just attack the ball, instead of jumping sky - high and twisting your neck back as if you're about to head into The North Stand. It totally shell - shocked the players and the fans. 

I wouldn't care if he went tomorrow . He isn't, and never will be, a top centre- half.

Â