Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He's behind the whole time

Its fairly basic defending one in front one behind, if you look at how we shape up before the ball comes in we have a wall, then buendia to stop the player on the edge of the box, then young, then Watkins, forest player, Ramsey, then Dennis and then mings behind him and its all tight in the middle

The problem is the first forest player moves front post and Watkins isn't goal side of him so Ramsey gets drawn in to cover which then leaves Dennis wide open, if Watkins was in the right position Ramsey should stay in front of Dennis and it hits him in the chest, from there the quality of the ball in makes it easy, mings can't even challenge for a header let alone win it

Watkins and Ramsey end up in no man's land which is why he got such an easy header

Yes it was odd to see as Watkins defends the front post, Mings takes the center for floated balls and Konsa at back post for the peel off. 

This is almost always their set piece set up. Rarely is there ever a single player to blame during a set piece. Miscommunication all around - which is probably what MacPhee was explaining to Gerrard since Gerrard hasn’t a clue how to set it up. 

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He's behind the whole time

Its fairly basic defending one in front one behind, if you look at how we shape up before the ball comes in we have a wall, then buendia to stop the player on the edge of the box, then young, then Watkins, forest player, Ramsey, then Dennis and then mings behind him and its all tight in the middle

The problem is the first forest player moves front post and Watkins isn't goal side of him so Ramsey gets drawn in to cover which then leaves Dennis wide open, if Watkins was in the right position Ramsey should stay in front of Dennis and it hits him in the chest, from there the quality of the ball in makes it easy, mings can't even challenge for a header let alone win it

Watkins and Ramsey end up in no man's land which is why he got such an easy header

I wish I could print this out and nail it to the forehead of every moron pundit jumping on the "Mings is shit" bandwagon by blaming him for the goal. He was one of our better players today.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Looked to me like Watkins went to sleep and lost his man.

Yeah if you were going to pin it on one player you'd either go mings for the daft foul or Watkins for the defending

Him being the wrong side causes everything else to fall apart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

I wish I could print this out and nail it to the forehead of every moron pundit jumping on the "Mings is shit" bandwagon by blaming him for the goal. He was one of our better players today.

100%.

He made some very good passes and set up nearly every half decent attack we had.

The pundits can say what they like, he’s the first name on the team sheet for me at the moment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Not for me. Once again, an error that was costly.

Not a surprise you think that. 

CB gets isolated on the wing, striker knocks the ball past. You have to commit the foul there. It's so hard to turn around and beat a quick striker. And there won't be enough cover if he's beaten. 

And then the actual goal is because Watkins switches off and loses his man so ramsey has to run out of position which means instead of just standing and intercepting the ball he's in no man's land and Dennis gets a free header. 

21 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Mings got the ball. Never a duckin foul.

The foul was the shove. It should be a foul. I hate it when the defender barely gets the ball and it would still be up for grabs if the defender hadn't cleared out the attacker. For me everyone of those should be fouls. Winning the ball should be about actually getting possession. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

The foul was the shove. It should be a foul. I hate it when the defender barely gets the ball and it would still be up for grabs if the defender hadn't cleared out the attacker. For me everyone of those should be fouls. Winning the ball should be about actually getting possession. 

I’d concede it was a foul but Dennis was also ‘fouling’ in that instance . Mings got the ball so imo play on. If Dennis wasn’t fouling Mings too then yes id agree it’s a foul. 

11 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Was funny when McGinn got hooked. He straight away went to pass the armband to Mings who then had to pass it over to Young. We all know who the real captain is.

i thought emi was vice captain...young is club captain. mcginn still got it wrong!

Â