Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Just seen on the Reaction thread that Zaha punched him in the stomach right before the incident. Hopefully gets a retrospective ban and nuts that VAR didn’t catch it. Adds to the fact Mings got played by him... but the learning for Mings is DON’T get played like that.

I'd hoped he'd have learned from the Bamford incident. He loses his head far too easily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

He looked like he was going to have one of those games he does sometimes have. Saha left him for dead in the first minute and Martinez saved his blushes (and Traore's). Not long after he miskicked to give away an unnecessary corner.

He definitely had the look of someone who was not on his game yesterday.

And I wear a really big pair of claret and blue glasses, but my immediate thought was that he went in to damage Zaha. I have seen nothing to convince me otherwise.

Hopefully this will be the kick up the arse he needs to get him to concentrate on his game.

(It would be useful if he would also stop the habit he has developed of pulling players to their feet by getting a handful from the front of their shirts).

I don't really understand where this 'meme' has come from? At what point has Tyrone Mings EVER given anyone the impression that he isn't a consummate professional who 'concentrates on his game'?

Footballers do stupid shit from time to time and get themselves sent off. One of the greatest players of all time flying headbutted a man in a World Cup final, which also happened to be his last ever game. 

Shit happens. Not everything needs to be dissected to the nth degree, surely? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't really understand where this 'meme' has come from? At what point has Tyrone Mings EVER given anyone the impression that he isn't a consummate professional who 'concentrates on his game'?

Footballers do stupid shit from time to time and get themselves sent off. One of the greatest players of all time flying headbutted a man in a World Cup final, which also happened to be his last ever game. 

Shit happens. Not everything needs to be dissected to the nth degree, surely? 

Agreed. Not in the post you've quoted but it's become a real thing on here to say that this "issue" has been prevalent since his England call up when the reality is just that these things happen sometimes despite the fact that he's largely been great for us. In fact the sending off yesterday is actually quite similar to the one he got in THAT game against Rotherham all the way back in the Championship - needless initial yellow and then a silly second infraction to get himself sent off.

He had a bad couple of moments and it doesn't necessarily mean it's indicative of some wider problem with him, and in the same way he bounced back brilliantly after the aforementioned red card I'm sure he'll do the same when he returns from this one.

Edited by Indigo

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think you need to learn what a stamp is because you and others are wide of the mark here big time.

More importantly, I fail to see why people are so desperate to see a stamp, then again it’s villatalk so I guess we have to find something to moan about.

I'm actually desperate to see the opposite but you have to call a spade a spade.

It was probably an accident but he definitely catches him while pushing down with his studs. Call it a stamp, a rake or whatever.

Edited by Keyblade

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'd hoped he'd have learned from the Bamford incident. He loses his head far too easily.

Not sure about this in this instance as I don’t think he actually lost his head - he seemed very calm and just got played a little bit. But agree if he’s going to get targeted he needs to be above it.

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not saying it’s an issue for anyone on here but for a few people I (sadly) know I would say it’s about the time he went on a BLM march. Now I personally can think it’s great he did that AND that he was suckered by Zaha yesterday and needs to learn AND that he’s a great player AND that he needs to cut out silly mistakes. But to your ‘where did it come from?’ - the same place it comes from any time athletes have a view outside of their sport (Rashford, Kaepernick, etc etc).

To be clear again that doesn’t mean I don’t think he got done by Zaha and needs to learn from it nor am I suggesting anyone who is saying they don’t rate him is racist or anything nuts. Just answering your very specific question.

• Thanks 1

Not sure Mings got played at all.

First incident he keeps his head throughout and referee wrongly gives him a yellow card. Only Zaha deserved a booking, but Zaha's reaction tricked the ref.

Second incident he makes a bad mistake - should have let the play run on. Why give away a soft yellow when you're already on a booking, 1-0 up and first half? Stupid.

It's just one mistake, definitely not thinking clearly. But I suspect he was just frustrated that Zaha kept skinning him. We probably should have started Konsa against a team with that much pace. And it was noticeable how much the introduction of Konsa negated their ability to get in behind.

There are other teams (slower, more physical) where Mings is the star defender. Horses for courses, innit. Still a very good player. He'll move on from it.

• Like 2

For me. His lack of developmental game time when he was younger will always be a hinderance to him reaching his full potential. Sadly we will just have to accept his faults and lapses are part of his game. At 27 - 5 years older than konsa he has played the same amount of career games - around 150 each. Vital experience missed to iron out the kinks in his game. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'm actually desperate to see the opposite but you have to call a spade a spade.

It was probably an accident but he definitely catches him while pushing down with his studs. Call it a stamp, a rake or whatever.

No he doesn't. Studs aren't in contact at all I'd say. At best it's leather outside.

Firstly you see it clearly if the studs where in contact cause the leg wouldn't continue its movement like that.

Secondly you'd see it it on Zaha's leg.

Thirdly Zaha wouldn't have gotten up.

Fourthly VAR would have reviewed it and given red.

People need to stop saying it was a stamp or contact with studs, cause it's absolutely obvious it wasn't.

Referee made a big mistake. Zaha got a little knock and got all wound up. Mings actually remained rather calm and walked off.

You can think he's a moron for getting the second yellow, but the first is not on him. Nor was it a stamp.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

No he doesn't. Studs aren't in contact at all I'd say. At best it's leather outside.

Firstly you see it clearly if the studs where in contact cause the leg wouldn't continue its movement like that.

Secondly you'd see it it on Zaha's leg.

Thirdly Zaha wouldn't have gotten up.

Fourthly VAR would have reviewed it and given red.

People need to stop saying it was a stamp or cobtact with studs, cause it's absolutely obvious it wasn't.

Referee made a big mistake. Zaha got a little knock and got all wound up. Mings actually remained rather calm and walked off.

You can think he's a moron for getting the second yellow, but the first is not on him. Nor was it a stamp.

It's all semantics. He caught him after making a forceful downward motion with his foot. Whether or not it was intentional, or if he caught him with the studs or whatever is up for debate I guess. Regardless, it's all immaterial because that's not even what he got the yellow card for anyway. He got it for the scuffle with Zaha where he didn't even do anything.

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's all semantics. He caught him after making a forceful downward motion with his foot. Whether or not it was intentional, or if he caught him with the studs or whatever is up for debate I guess. Regardless, it's all immaterial because that's not even what he got the yellow card for anyway. He got it for the scuffle with Zaha where he didn't even do anything.

It's not semantics though. You are talking about two wildely different situations here. 

I normally think you're pretty sensible in your posts on here, but not today lad. 

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Thought he was lucky not to see red against Leeds too.

This guy got some on the pitch issues.

Bamford's play acting almost cost us our promotion. Then he goes and pulls that shit again. I'm glad Mings treated him as the diver he is and yanked him off the ground. 

Also, the best part of that entire incident is VAR reviewed and said play on. 😂 Even VAR know's Bamford deserved it. 

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Nah, he makes sure he catches Zaha but it's nothing to do with the motion of his foot going 'forcefully downwards'.

They were winding each other up at every opportunity.  If you look at the whole thing, Mings gives Zaha a nudge, Zaha then turns around and pushes Mings in his chest, turns around and immediately bundles into McGinn.  Mings then makes sure he bundles into Zaha.  The footing looks worse IMO as he's avoiding McGinn, but he's not trying to stamp or rake Zaha at all - it's a petulant kick out and the yellow card for both of them was correct.

The second yellow for Mings was also correct, though I do think it was a foul by Zaha first.

Â