Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think he'll play for England; he's not assured not to make a rick. But he is an absolute warrior, and it's what we need. Our needs aren't honestly the same as England's. 

confused gary coleman GIF

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think he'll play for England; he's not assured not to make a rick. But he is an absolute warrior, and it's what we need. Our needs aren't honestly the same as England's. 

Did you watch the Netherlands game?

played well versus everton, love the guy, him and Engels are the best Villa CB pairing since Laursen/Mellberg for me.

He does need to stop trying to make every pass a hollywood pass though, a few times he went super long and it went straight to the opposition or out of play quite a few times, to be honest he just needs to ensure it goes to one of our players at times, not a complaint as such, but it was like he was trying too hard to ping balls from one corner of the pitch to the other rather than pass intelligently at times.

Great performance though overall, after their shot hit the post, his composure to take the ball, beat a player in the 6 yard box and take it away from danger was class.

He said he had a pain killing injection before the match (due to pulling his groin in the warmup), hopefully he's ok.

Absolutely elite touch and carry out of the 6 yard death zone when the ball came back off the post. Brilliant brilliant brilliant.

Hope that groin is OK. Was going to say the international break will give him a chance for a break if he can make it far, but he's going to be in the bloody squad isn't he.

• Like 1

People say he’s hoofing but Smith said after Spurs they have been working on a quick release from him over the top for runners when teams press high - clearly today it didn’t work that well but that’s what led to McGinn’s goal. It’s not him panicking and lamping it, Smith has told him to do it when the oppo defensive line is high.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danishlad said:

He wont play for England. Defensively he is good enough but he isn’t good enough in possession.

Not yet but he has only played a few games, at his level in the CB position, I hope Engels will rub off on him from a possession point of view.

Tonight against Everton Engels had the ball and Ming's pointed up field for Engels to pump it forward, Engels ignored it and played a lovely ball into midfield, 15 yards along the floor , Ming's will learn. 

Ming's is a born leader and this shines through whenever I see him play and that's a quality that cannot be taught or learnt , it's either there or it isn't. He has it in spades and it's priceless,  haven't seen that quality in a player since Laursen and even he wasn't a leader like Ming's is . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely elite touch and carry out of the 6 yard death zone when the ball came back off the post. Brilliant brilliant brilliant.

Hope that groin is OK. Was going to say the international break will give him a chance for a break if he can make it far, but he's going to be in the bloody squad isn't he.

I remember that, that was insane defending. And then he followed it up with an amazing last ditch tackle. Ridiculous passage of play.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I loved how he ran to get Wesley out of the heat in the dying minutes there when they kicked down Trezeguet. Very good leadership

Second game in a row he's done that.  I think teams know Wes is a bit of a hot head. Ming's isn't about to let that happen. Love him. 

One game and Mings a hoofer and Hollywood passer. Against Spurs his "Hollywood" ball set Mcginn up for the first goal. He also had a couple pinpoint long balls versus Bournemouth. One of them the Bournemouth defender misplayed and presented Mcginn with a killer chance. Given Smith's after game comments it's obvious that's this a style of play they have worked on to counter act the high press. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

One game and Mings a hoofer and Hollywood passer. Against Spurs his "Hollywood" ball set Mcginn up for the first goal. He also had a couple pinpoint long balls versus Bournemouth. One of them the Bournemouth defender misplayed and presented Mcginn with a killer chance. Given Smith's after game comments it's obvious that's this a style of play they have worked on to counter act the high press. 

Don't be daft m8.

Everyone agrees he played excellent.

But it's a fair observation that he did try a couple of Hollywood passes too many, but he was excellent overall.

Just because people have a minor criticism from an overall excellent performance, doesn't mean we don't all love him....it's just a fair observation.

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Don't be daft m8.

Everyone agrees he played excellent.

But it's a fair observation that he did try a couple of Hollywood passes too many, but he was excellent overall.

Just because people have a minor criticism from an overall excellent performance, doesn't mean we don't all love him....it's just a fair observation.

Maybe I came across a little too harsh.  Let me try it another way.  In American Football(NFL) you have to take a couple deep shots a game to keep defenses honest otherwise they just crowd out the short passes.  I feel that Mings was hitting many of those long balls under instruction from Deano.  Mings went deep and Engels kept it short or drove into midfield.  I think it kept the Everton back line from crowding out the midfield like Spurs did against us in the 2nd half.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

Maybe I came across a little too harsh.  Let me try it another way.  In American Football(NFL) you have to take a couple deep shots a game to keep defenses honest otherwise they just crowd out the short passes.  I feel that Mings was hitting many of those long balls under instruction from Deano.  Mings went deep and Engels kept it short or drove into midfield.  I think it kept the Everton back line from crowding out the midfield like Spurs did against us in the 2nd half.  

Yeah probably a fair point m8.

Good stuff.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Yep, if you never go long, you invite the high press. Wesley makes any half-decent long ball a possession play anyway.

We have no idea what Mings was told to do, but based on what DS said post-match, and looking at the game, it seemed like Mings was told to pump it up to Wesley, and Guilbert was told to look for the diagonal to Trez, as both those passes were played repeatedly.

What we didn't see much of from Mings and Engels today was the low drilled pass between the lines, which they were both doing a lot in pre-season. But Everton were quite sharp through the middle, and our midfielders were very deep. Lumping it up to the front 3 was often the safest option.

Lads I have been humbled (as a coach) by football more than I know. So I say this very humbly. I’ve got a few qualifications and a decent coaching CV. 

In in my opinion. Mings is England quality and the transfer fee was a snip. He seems so self motivated. He has qualities you can’t coach. 

I think he’s brilliant. He brings so much to the team that as a coach he’s priceless. 

• Like 2

Doing the rewatch right now and Tyrone was downing a freaking Redbull right before kickoff.  That is the first time I have ever seen a professional athlete shoot a red bull right before kickoff.  Is this a normal pre-match routine or was he a little sleepy at kickoff.  

Â