Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

By far his best game in a Villa shirt. Still only just a notch above the minimum I would expect form a midfielder in a team looking towards the top half, but it's progress. 

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Mirrors exactly how I feel. Great to see a local lad who cost nowt coming through - but a brutal assessment - how many games would he get for a top six club.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Mirrors exactly how I feel. Great to see a local lad who cost nowt coming through - but a brutal assessment - how many games would he get for a top six club.

Harry winks, Fred, Curtis Jones played plenty,  Harvey Elliot is coming through at Liverpool now and Oliver Skipp at  Spurs

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh well, better give up developing him then. 😐

I thought he did well.

Nothing spectacular nothing bad.

Would like to have seen more possibly...I think he played like all the team Saturday...and that was safe.

But the encouraging thing was he wanted the ball all the time.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I like the work rate and athleticism but I'm not that impressed with him on the ball. 

Clearly progress though and I'm sure he'll continue to get chances in the first team. 

He’s better on the ball than Nakamba and possibly even McGinn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All of the qualified praise and heavy caveats coming out here are just signs of people justifying their past criticism of him

It's OK that he was off the standard required last season, and it's OK that some people were critical, but it's clear he's done significant work in the summer to bulk up and he's sticking the pace of the game much better too

Early days but I'm hopeful he can keep up his form.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

If nothing else his performance should make it clear that the club can sell Hourihane or more likely send him out on loan again. Absolutely no reason to keep him now that Ramsey is already a clear improvement and we have other young players behind him who also can fill in if need be. 

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Harry winks, Fred, Curtis Jones played plenty,  Harvey Elliot is coming through at Liverpool now and Oliver Skipp at  Spurs

I think Harvey Elliot is a special talent.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s better on the ball than Nakamba and possibly even McGinn

He's definitely better on the ball than McGinn. He's very clever, knows how to weight a pass. If he can continue improving and taking more responsibility, we could have a gem on our hands.

He comes across quite timid and humble to me as well, makes you want him to succeed even more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He's definitely better on the ball than McGinn. He's very clever, knows how to weight a pass. If he can continue improving and taking more responsibility, we could have a gem on our hands.

He comes across quite timid and humble to me as well, makes you want him to succeed even more.

Yeh, exactly. I’d quite like him to develop an arrogance to his play, like the way Grealish did as he developed. 

Measured aggression isn’t a bad trait either, albeit I think he’s more than happy getting stuck in as it is.

• Like 1

He is still learning. I was not impressed with his earlier performances, but he has improved to the extent that he has now broken through this season.

Well done to him. Now he has to try to keep his place and continue to improve.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

Yes, he is along Skipp which I want both of them to join us, and know will big future with them.

Jacob Ramsey is getting better and improvements lots which are brilliant to see. I was want get skipp but both of them similar style Skipp bit more better in Defensively.

Last season my friends and forum keep don't want him to play as he doesn't ready I always say he needs more games time to be a better player and encourage him to play more I thought he will be ready by next season or 2 seasons.

I don't expect how fast improvement and bulk to help him a better player.

Love his ball running carrier forward and passing accuracy and kill passing and track help, He is a potentially good man-mark but needs to improve ball tackle he seems very good box to box type. Save our money.

But under a pressure not sure as Newcastle give him lots of space as they drop back and organise defend rather close him and deny space to passing might see him poor? Maybe I am wrong.

23 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

Either way my point of average midfielders and youngsters getting blooded at top 6 teams is valid, we are investing heavily in the academy here for a reason. 

Edited by gwi1890

It was a promising performance - but Newcastle were really really poor (think they are in real danger of going down this season). Will be interesting to see if he can replicate that type of performance against Brentford.

For me, 'consistency' is one of the key aspects of a player's development - being able to take the little sparks we've seen over the last year or so and turn it into dependable outputs. If Jacob can string a few more performances together like Saturday it will make him near impossible to drop when Sanson returns.

• Like 3

I didn't get to watch the full game as was out - just caught snippets.  Is he now of a standard that people are happy with him as a potential starter in a 4-3-3 when we are chasing for top half OR would people rather we invested in a, say, Rafinha or McKennie (giving us three/four experienced options at "8" depending what we do at "6"/how you see Luiz) and let Ramsey go out on loan for 30+ games with a, say, Swansea or Bristol City?  He clearly benefitted from the less pressured environment at Doncaster where he was able to add goals to his game.

Personally, I would rather he developed in a less pressured environment in the Championship for 12 months and then came back a more experienced player (or was sold on for a profit depending how the other four worked out).  

• Like 2

Â