Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

If this lad plays for England, Barr Beacon school should change the school colours to claret and blue, what with another former pupil, Chris Woakes, being a Villan.

If Aaron and Cole make it as well, they should change the uniform to C&B too!

Just to clarify

I am aware of his locality and status so please stop telling me

I just dont get this One of our own shite, not interested in it. He's a professional footballer not one of us - "Super" Jacky Grealish caused my apathy 

Doesn't mean I think any less of Ramsey or indeed his brother, just not interested in One of our own

6 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Just to clarify

I just dont get this One of our own shite, not interested in it. He's a professional footballer not one of us - "Super" Jacky Grealish caused my apathy 

Doesn't mean I think any less of Ramsey or indeed his brother, just not interested in One of our own

So, you do get it. You just don't like it. 

• Like 1

It's just a song for him.

And seeing that Ollie has 'duh duh duh duh' and Bert has been awarded the White Stripes classic from our repertoire options were looking slim.

I can only imagine the pride he feels when a few thousand are singing that to him.

43 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Just to clarify

It's just a song that his name easily fits into. Don't think about it too much.

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

He's not as good as Kevin De Bruyne yet lads, sack him off immediately.

This is a ridiculous thing to say. Absolutely nobody suggested we should 'sack him off' because he's not as good as De Bruyne, get a grip of yoruself. In actual fact even those critical of his ability, like myself, agree that he has impressed this season in a small sample size. 

His performance on Saturday was good enough. Only just good enough is still good enough. If he can continue in that form, he is an asset. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This is a ridiculous thing to say. Absolutely nobody suggested we should 'sack him off' because he's not as good as De Bruyne, get a grip of yoruself. In actual fact even those critical of his ability, like myself, agree that he has impressed this season in a small sample size. 

His performance on Saturday was good enough. Only just good enough is still good enough. If he can continue in that form, he is an asset. 

It was a proportionate reaction to a ridiculous post about him not being good enough to play first team for a top six team.

Last season was a relative free pass for him to get to grips with what the standard is, this season is about him stepping up and showing that he belongs - we've had two very encouraging performances from him so far. 

Just now, lexicon said:

It was a proportionate reaction to a ridiculous post about him not being good enough to play first team for a top six team.

Last season was a relative free pass for him to get to grips with what the standard is, this season is about him stepping up and showing that he belongs - we've had two very encouraging performances from him so far. 

How is that a ridiculous point of discussion when that is the clubs stated aim?

3 hours ago, hippo said:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Mirrors exactly how I feel. Great to see a local lad who cost nowt coming through - but a brutal assessment - how many games would he get for a top six club.

How good was Grealish when he was 20? Certainly not good enough for a top 6 side. Young players do get better with the right coaching and application

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

How is that a ridiculous point of discussion when that is the clubs stated aim?

How can one reasonably assess and write off a young player after so few minutes played?  It's ridiculous. 

And aim or not - we're not a top six club yet either. Who's to say he won't carry on improving and be good enough? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

How can one reasonably assess and write off a young player after so few minutes played?  It's ridiculous. 

And aim or not - we're not a top six club yet either. Who's to say he won't carry on improving and be good enough? 

Bit gaslighty. Nobody is writing him off or saying he can't improve at 20 years old? 

5 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

How good was Grealish when he was 20? Certainly not good enough for a top 6 side. Young players do get better with the right coaching and application

Incredible. There was never any doubt in my mind that if he applied himself he would go on to be world class. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Bit gaslighty. Nobody is writing him off or saying he can't improve at 20 years old? 

Not at all. The implication from his post was that he shouldn't be playing as he wouldn't get into a top 6 midfield. I have absolutely no idea why you're defending what Hippo posted - it's just such nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Incredible. There was never any doubt in my mind that if he {Grealish) applied himself he would go on to be world class. 

We shouldn't measure anybody against Grealish. Ive been watching villa since the  early 1970's - He s the best player I've seen in a villa shirt. I doubt I will see anyone that good again. But that's  a massively high ceiling - you can still be an excellent player, win trophies, England caps and still not quite be jacks level.

He got nod probably at the expense of Nakamba on Saturday - proved to be the right decision. Be interesting when more players are available for selection if he still gets in the team.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Grealish was running an fa cup semi final against Liverpool at 19.

Comparisons to Jack are not sensible in regards to most of our young players. 

• Like 3

It has been a while since we have had a decent crop of young players, but also the space/time to bed them in. 

Until last season, we have been either in a relegation  battle, struggling to put a team together or pushing for promotion. There was a terrible atmosphere at the club for a long time, bot the place to bring through young players.

I don't get to that many games, but I was there for Jacob's debut against WBA  I think  he came on for Hourihane, who was booed off by some.  Awful game. While you could see flashes of talent, he looked in no way physically  ready. At the time I thought he might go the way of a lot of our recent youth players - obvious talent.

We now have a much more stable platform, with owners and a coaching staff that are committed to improving players and investing in youth. 

Ramsey seeks like  a slow and stewdy developer who needs a bit of time to reach his potential,  but we are in more of a position  to give him  that  than in the recent past. 

This season has the feeling of a transition. If we are not strong enough to qualify for Europe  this season (who knows, but we probably aren't), then a comfortable mid table finish where we have a hugely improved Ramsey (and maybe JPB and CC) would be a decent outcome. 

As has been pointed out on the FFP thread, we have spend a sack load of cash to get us back where we were over 10 years ago and can't  afford to keep doing that forever.

Steady progression and bringing through players like Jacob that  can either hold down  a position in the first team or sold for a hefty profit has to be a good route for a club in our position. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Incredible. There was never any doubt in my mind that if he applied himself he would go on to be world class. 

Memories are quite short. There were plenty of doubters around in his early days and he was by no means the finished article. Only really became consistent when he bulked up and we were in the Championship. Prior to that his shooting was weak (still not that amazing) and he would regularly run into trouble and lose the ball. 

2 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Memories are quite short. There were plenty of doubters around in his early days and he was by no means the finished article. Only really became consistent when he bulked up and we were in the Championship. Prior to that his shooting was weak (still not that amazing) and he would regularly run into trouble and lose the ball. 

I can only speak for myself rather than the hive mind tbh. 

Â