Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

It's his poise and confidence out there that impresses me the most. We've tried to blood highly-rated youngsters in the past (Suliman, Herd, McKirdy, O'Hare etc al) and they haven't looked composed or ready at all.

Ramsay seems to be cut from a different cloth, which gives me real hope that he'll be a top player for us in a few seasons.

• Like 2

This idea that training with our players is better for our players than going out on loan just isn't true, there's a big difference between training and playing real games with real consequences, and our youngsters train with our first team anyway so it's not as if they miss out on that by going out on loan, there's also a massive difference between playing U23 football and first team football, if we had a policy of not sending our academy products out on loan I'd suggest that it would hurt our ability to attract them to the club in the first place.

Ramsey's different as he's already shown he's capable enough of performing for our first team and at a decent level with Doncaster, but for some of our younger ones a loan move could be very beneficial to them in the coming seasons, I'm sure each individual case will be judged on it's own merits.

Also Foden didn't go on loan because he's seen as a generational talent, already making their bench when he was sixteen and making his debut when he was seventeen good enough to get minutes for one of the best teams in Europe, of course if any of our youngsters are as good as him at the same age then they won't be going on loan either, as they'll be seen as good enough already for the first team.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, useless said:

This idea that training with our players is better for our players than going out on loan just isn't true, there's a big difference between training and playing real games with real consequences, 

There is also a big difference between watching Jack Grealish train every day and getting minutes away to Chelsea, to watching Luke Berry train every day and playing away Barnsley.

The kid won't be going anywhere,.and nor should he. 

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If that shot had curled inside the post last night I think I’d have had an embolism.

I think if that shot had of gone in.....Dean Smith would have had a selection problem, next game.

ps I don't think the Chelsea camp, saw it.

Edited by TRO

30 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Again, this fear. This theory that youth must be loaned out. It's an unwritten rule almost. I'd go out on a limb and say Ramsey and Bellingham are not miles apart as talent right now. Be realistic though. Hourihane is out of favour and he's hit his ceiling at this level. Is Nakamba going to massively improve us or get better ? Hardly. So unless we bring what another or maybe 2 centre midfielders in , in January, he's going nowhere. Given how close and in amongst it he is. If anything id say this. When Barkley comes back in and one drops out of the match day squad, it's Hourihane or Nakamba who are in trouble more than Jacob.

No fear on my part. It's simply a question of what benefits him more the coming half year in terms of development. I'll enjoy following young Ramsey's career as I think he will be very good whatever route he goes from now on, and hopefully for us. Furthermore, I have complete confidence in our team making good decisions for him.

• Like 1

Well I obviously said in the same post that Ramsey's different as he's already playing for the first team. But people use the same argument for not sending out our younger academy players, training with our first team is good experience for them, but it's no substitute for playing in competitive games, and they the most highly regarded ones will have plenty of experience of training with our first team squad anyway whilst on U23 duty, so it's not as if they miss out on that by going out on loan.

Jacob Ramsey himself is evidence of how going on loan to the lower leagues can benefit a player if you find the right club and send them at the right age, our best player Jack Grealish went to Notts County, he would have been a good player anyway, but I'm sure he'll admit that playing there helped with his development, not just in terms of playing football but in other ways as well that's beneficial for a future in the game.

As I say if we had a policy of not loaning out our academy players to the lower leagues it would probably negatively impact our ability to attract young talent to the club in first place, as it's seen as such an important part of many players development, and for most of them they won't even make it with us, when they leave they stand a far better chance of finding another club at a decent level if they've gone out on loan and performed competently, certainly they'd struggle more if all they'd got to say about their time with us beyond playing for the U23s in the second division is that they've trained with the first team squad.

Edited by useless
Also most of them would prefer to go on loan and play in competitive games if they aren't yet ready for our first team.

If he can get a good amount of minutes with us between now and the end of the season probably has a good chance of making the England U21 Euro squad. Get the feeling it's only a matter of time before he gets his first goal.

19 minutes ago, useless said:

If he can get a good amount of minutes with us between now and the end of the season probably has a good chance of making the England U21 Euro squad. Get the feeling it's only a matter of time before he gets his first goal.

I like him a lot so far, hopefully he'll start to get more than 10 minutes here and there. Maybe a run in the cup might see him playing a bit more but we've got the scousers so that might end quickly...

I think he's probably overtaken Hourihane in the the basic pattern of preference within the squad now, albeit in specific circumstances, like being desperate for goal towards the end of a game, or just needing some experience in midfield then then we still might turn to Hourihane, but in general I expect Ramsey will be considered as first choice attacking midfielder should we have a few injuries, and he'll get some chances off the bench as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, useless said:

I think he's probably overtaken Hourihane in the the basic pattern of preference within the squad now, albeit in specific circumstances, like being desperate for goal towards the end of a game, or just needing some experience in midfield then then we still might turn to Hourihane, but in general I expect Ramsey will be considered as first choice attacking midfielder should we have a few injuries, and he'll get some chances off the bench as well.

Certainly ahead of Hourihane, I'm not sure we will see much more of him.

18 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If that shot had curled inside the post last night I think I’d have had an embolism.

I was convinced at the time it had gone in and was celebrating. Looked at the Mrs and kids still sitting down and realised it had gone other side of post, It was a tad embarrassing, But I was really really very ,  very drunk

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Who reckons he save us money and investment in the summer?

Allowing us to be able to spend big on another area or 2?

Obviously depends on who leaves and stays as well etc.

We'll be losing Hourihane and Lansbury in the summer (not that they've played much anyway) so I still we'll need a midfielder and I imagine he'll take their place. 

On 30/12/2020 at 15:35, rodders0223 said:

Doesn't need to go anywhere. He will get minutes here and will be around the matchday squad for the foreseeable.

It was different under Bruce when he had Bree and O'Hare and the like travelling to the be the 19th and 20th man. Farcical and selfish.

I'd rather he got more than just minutes, I think half a season of ugly football and regular game time in the championship would be great for his development and maturation. 

Â