Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Haven't seen anything yet that's impressed me. I'd really like to. I know it's not his fault he's only had sub appearances so far.

Have you seen anything that's NOT impressed you?

Given his age, and extremely limited minutes, that's probably a more important question.

I think he's a talent and the club know it. We make good, sound decisions around recruitment and contracts these days where sentiment is certainly not the main driver. He's not at all looked out of place. Delighted for him. Deserved improved terms on his existing contract.

25 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Still kind of meh on the kid. Best praise I can give him is that he didn't look out of place but I'd be lying if I said I'd saw anything impressive yet. Think some people are giving too much credit on the couple of shots he's had. He didn't really take any of them that well to my memory.

Shooting will come with practice and coaching. Coaching someone to create or get on the end of opportunities is a lot more difficult. He's doing that already granted as a sub against tired legs but I've liked what I've seen thus far. I'm interested to see how he develops.

Also based on Purslow's comments last year about our youth and where they should be at various ages I think the management team see a lot of potential in him.

Edited by sparrow1988

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Have you seen anything that's NOT impressed you?

Given his age, and extremely limited minutes, that's probably a more important question.

Nope. What I'm saying is more that I haven't seen enough. To be a wonderkid and be better than almost everyone who's come through recently but haven't been quite good enough, I'd be expecting an instant impact. To absolutely wow me. Instead he's been steady and solid. Couple of nice touches. I'm just saying I hope he can be really impressive and smash it.

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Nope. What I'm saying is more that I haven't seen enough. To be a wonderkid and be better than almost everyone who's come through recently but haven't been quite good enough, I'd be expecting an instant impact. To absolutely wow me. Instead he's been steady and solid. Couple of nice touches. I'm just saying I hope he can be really impressive and smash it.

See my post above.

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Most kids aren't able to hang with PL players and not look out of place. Ramsey has looked assured in his appearances, and given the jump from youth/reserve football to the PL being huge, that might suggest he is somewhat of a wonder kid. I know the kids I saw against Liverpool are nowhere near ready for example. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think some people are expecting every midfield or attacking player coming through to be a Jack Grealish or Traore type - or they are just Meh.

Sometimes you just need a good, effective midfielder who can press, pass, defend, and smack a ball decently as well.

Flash isn't always the indicator of quality, footballing intelligence or worth IMO.

Was McGinn an "exciting" Midfielder before he came here, out of interest?

Players like Mason Mount, James Ward Prowse, Harvey Barnes etc ( Aside from the obvious Freekicks ) aren't flashy players, but they are very good midfielders.

Alot on here thought Grealish wasn’t good enough and a luxury player , Looking  forward to seeing this lad become a star for us, He is physically strong much stronger than Grealish was at his age drives forward from midfield and gets into good position, and is being managed perfectly by the coaching staff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Most kids aren't able to hang with PL players and not look out of place. Ramsey has looked assured in his appearances, and given the jump from youth/reserve football to the PL being huge, that might suggest he is somewhat of a wonder kid. I know the kids I saw against Liverpool are nowhere near ready for example. 

A Michael Standing , Gareth Barry comparison  Standing was a natural talent but wasn’t physical enough for the senior game and ended up being Gareth Barry’s agent even though Barry was supposed to be the least promising of the pair. Ramsey never looks out of place in his cameos and doesn’t get bullied off the ball.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Still kind of meh on the kid. Best praise I can give him is that he didn't look out of place but I'd be lying if I said I'd saw anything impressive yet. Think some people are giving too much credit on the couple of shots he's had. He didn't really take any of them that well to my memory.

Limited game sure. But for example I thought callumn O hare , minute for minute showed more. Sure that will get derided as he's an ex villian now !.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

O'Hare never looked anywhere near as good or as comfortable as Ramsey does, and O'Hare played against weaker oppposition whenever he was given a chance for the first team. Ramsey is comfortably better than any of other youngsters that have come through in recent years, with the possible exception of Davis, but even with him there's the the caveat that when he first broke into the team he was playing against championship teams.

I will never forget that period in the championship where there seemed to be a call for O'Hare to replace Jack. 

• Like 2

O'Hare was very impressive for our U23s, but whenever he was given a chance for the first team he looked pretty anonymous and easily knocked off the ball, that's not to put him down, as there was obviously a lot of promise there and he's now doing well at a good level with Coventry, it's just with some our youngsters they will have to move on in order progress, the likes of James Collins, Daniel Johnson, Callum Robinson and so on have all done the same and are having good careers, and I'm sure O'Hare will do the same.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Delighted he's signed, I think the club have a great player there. In his minutes so far, the only thing missing is conviction. He scores some of those chances against weaker opposition.

The more minutes possible the better for Ramsey. 

• Like 1

Get him in the team, much rather spend the rest of the season developing him than playing an underperforming Chelsea player, just so they can get some money for him in the summer. 

Â