Match Thread: Wigan v Villa

limpid

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Worst first half I’ve seen since Smith took over. Nobody wants the ball.

i can’t believe how much we miss Grealish 

Every single game I see someone say "this is the worst half I've seen under Smith."

Shows how bad we've been recently. I'm already bored of his 'honest assessment' in post match interview. This team should be challenging play offs no dramas. For some reason Smith gets an easy ride of a lot of fans. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"it's Bruce's squad" is wearing pretty thin now.

But it's still true. 

These players should be doing better but he is still working with a squad assembled by a different man with different ideas. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Bolassie has been alright - it's the midfield we're losing. I'd consider bringing on Whelan and Hause for Taylor and Bree and going three at the back. We've got nothing in the middle of the park - Hourihane and Bjarnason aren't doing anything like enough.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

like every match then pretty much?

People are now starting to realise the midfield is not good enough and in particular these two.

Said it many times, they are not mobile enough, have no energy and give the back four no protection whatsoever.

Anew DM in this transfer window is an absolute must.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

I'm sorry. I missed the bit when we replaced all the players. Oh right, wait, we didn't so guess what? This actually IS Bruce's squad! Blimey!

Completely missed the point, but sure.

1 minute ago, MackHaakon said:

Absolutely pathetic display so far. 

As crap as we are at the back, our front three are pissing away any chance of buliding momentum by trying to be fancy instead of building a proper attacking team move. Just lack of intelligence all around. 

Incredibly disappointing that our team seems so mentally immature and unproffesional. 

Keep McGinn and Kalinic. Sell the rest of this pile of incompetence.

some would call it coaching ?

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

well, to be fair, the statement should just be "most of the squad is literally shite", and leave it at that.

It was a good enough squad to hammer Boro and Derby and outplay West brom not so long ago though. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

But it's still true. 

These players should be doing better but he is still working with a squad assembled by a different man with different ideas. 

It is true.

I've bolded my point though.

Worrying thing for me is that we are getting worse with each match. Most of us wanted Bruce gone because we had no style or system of play. I hate to say it, but after early promise I don’t see many signs of improvement under Smith.

Really trying to be patient with Smith because we have seen what we can do under him (Derby and Boro), and I have no doubt he can become brilliant with us. But you also have to recognise that this squad really ought to be doing a lot better than it has in the last few games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

Every single game I see someone say "this is the worst half I've seen under Smith."

Shows how bad we've been recently. I'm already bored of his 'honest assessment' in post match interview. This team should be challenging play offs no dramas. For some reason Smith gets an easy ride of a lot of fans. 

He gets an easy ride because they are not his players. We can’t keep blaming managers and coaches for players being shit.

2 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

What a joke.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

some would call it coaching ?

What baffles me is that for the first few games, we looked brilliant. Shaky at the back, but almost disgustingly good going forward. Our front line was far too good for some of the best defences in the league. The way he had us playing had me genuinely excited to watch Villa.

A couple of months later, we can't string 2 passes together and Wigan are pinning us in our half for 20 minutes. How have we gone back to being absolute shit?! Grealish is a big loss, but it shouldn't be this pronounced.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wigan are missing their two best players.

This. Sure we don't have Grealish, but neither do Wigan and they're pummelling us. 

Our defense is absolutely all over the place, completely disorganised and every ball over the top is a chance because our full backs are 5 yards higher than our center backs. Its basic stuff. 

El Ghazi needs dropping, I just can't see what he offers, 99% of the time he gets the ball he just gives it away. 0.5% of the time he completes a simple pass, and 0.5% of the time he does something useful. It's not worth having him on the field