Match Thread: Wigan v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me, the two wingers have been our only threat - we're so weak in the middle though that we might have to consider a complete change in order to strengthen it. Davis and Whelan on for El Ghazi and Bolassie and go 4-1-3-2?

If it was bringing on a better player than Whelan then I'd be all for it. I've been trying to think what Smith can do to help in the middle, but there's only Whelan there. I'd swap O'Hare for BB and play 4-4-1-1....

12 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Not a good start is it, sort it out players.

I'm not watching, but who is to blame here, which player I wonder??

how is the Hause playing??

I wouldn’t try to understand who’s struggling based on VT mate.   Lots of clueless comments on here.  It’s halftime, we’re down by one.  

Just now, Davkaus said:

If a 1 in 10 striker looks like our saviour, we're more in the shit than I thought.

Not for his goals. But for his ability to hold up the ball. To bring Abraham into play. To pull attention away from our wingers.

Exactly. That’s what happen when you signed players with no skill. With skill , you have confidence when opponents comes near,  you are sure you can twist / accelerate/ fancy good work, get pass them , have composure. & open up angle for a thru run or forward pass . With skill you gain confidence / arrogant even ...

Even those that do have some skill Bolasie / Kodjia / Adomah etc are too selfish & only shoot for goals instead of creating chances for team mates . Very shortsighted, thinking only goals will attract top teams to sign them or we will give them new contract based on no. goals they scored . In my opinion , in the modern game , I feel most modern managers do value Assists , just as much as goals . 

1 minute ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I support Smith and what he is trying to achieve but regardless of whether these players are Bruce's or Smith's we should be performing a lot better today.

Hopefully we'll see a much improved Villa in the second half.

We need to get cracking in the window....james McCarthy is the type we need.

• Like 1

Just now, romavillan said:

If it was bringing on a better player than Whelan then I'd be all for it. I've been trying to think what Smith can do to help in the middle, but there's only Whelan there. I'd swap O'Hare for BB and play 4-4-1-1....

O'Hare isn't on the bench. (and I think that formation would end up being 4-2-1-3.)

Just now, jim said:

For the 4th game in a row we have been exploited down the wings yet Smith does nothing to address it.

Defencive organisation has never been one of his plus points 

5 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

or some reason Smith gets an easy ride of a lot of fans

Perhaps the reason is he has only been here for 15 games, hasn’t been able to change many players yet, let alone integrate them into a system and his best players are injured. Or am I just soft and we should get on his and the team’s back because that will almost certainly get us firing on all cylinders. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

I wouldn’t try to understand who’s struggling based on VT mate.   Lots of clueless comments on here.  It’s halftime, we’re down by one.  

But we're fighting for promotion chap............................................and its Wigan not Leeds.

• Like 1