Richard O’Kelly

alreadyexists

Some of you have lost your god damn minds and the season hasn't even started yet. 

Maddest thread since that time someone said that the African Cup of Nations only exists because of "political correctness".

I don't think there's anything wrong with the timing. He's stayed to help prep us for the season, especially with Terry going earlier on in the summer. If Terry hadn't left he probably would have gone before now. 

Edited by The Other Mat

2 hours ago, osmark86 said:

He's an old man maybe he's looking to slow down and retire soon?

if so, why didn't he make that decision in May?....timing seems funny to me.

• Like 3

I hope he’s okay, and that it’s true he’s just taking a step back to spend time with his family. The timing is a bit odd, but that’s how it is sometimes. 

I don’t quite know what to make of it before @JAMAICAN-VILLAN has commented though…

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

He’s 64 and is retiring.

days before, kick off?

Planning usually makes sense in terms of date/timing, with retiring.....2 days before kick off spells spontaneous, which spells Drama of some sort.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Last time I checked we were still managed by Dean Smith, not Richard O'Kelly. I hardly think it's the same.

I agree but Richard O’Kelly is still a well respected coach in the game. I am sad that he’s left, with John Terry leaving too, I would imagine that someone will come in, who, I don’t know 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I agree but Richard O’Kelly is still a well respected coach in the game. I am sad that he’s left, with John Terry leaving too, I would imagine that someone will come in, who, I don’t know 

Always seemed a lovely bloke as well. I liked him.

• Like 1

Very strange, his parting message seems very kind with his words on the official website.. so I don't think there's anything untoward

Just the timing of it, especially with JT having left a couple of weeks ago, seems very very odd

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

days before, kick off?

Sometimes at that stage of people’s life, things can happen unexpectedly. personally I hope it’s not that but it could be something along those lines let’s not jump to conclusions. Wish him the best. We’re more than covered in the coaching department I really wouldn’t worry about it. 

With ROK having left today (I hope everything is ok!), it’s a further blow to our preparations for the season ahead. I’m really concerned now by the gaps being left by the likes of JT, Grealish and ROK. These were all very well respected members of our setup.

I’ve mentioned it before in the Grealish thread that I’m struggling to understand what our identity is now, and even more so by today’s news. 

We’ve had some new faces that have come in, but too many of the old faces going out. Important characters that made us who we were just recently as last season. It’s not often that members of the coaching staff leave before a new season kicks off unless it’s a complete manager change!! 

Very concerning in my view. 

Edited by Tayls

29 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I wonder if this means we'll be replacing him? That's a fair old chunk of coaching staff gone now with JT also. 

Why? Now we have the number of coaches most teams have. Was always weird getting Shakespeare on top of ROK. I read his contract expired today and he decided to retire. Next

Edited by Kiwivillan

Seemed like a great guy to have around, especially in that video Villa did following Emi B around on his first day. I saw him walking down Witton Lane toward the North Stand entrance shortly after buying a season ticket in person in Summer 2019 and he was in his training gear, he seemed like a proper old school coach out on the field with the players which is always good to see.

I think he has just made a personal decision and doubt there is any animosity behind the scenes. Not ideal this close to the season but I'm sure we will be fine. Good luck to him!

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Our star player and two top coaches leaving just before the season starts. Preseason friendlies cancelled left right and centre. New signings stuck in COVID isolation. 

I reckon you’d have to go back to the dark old days to find a preseason so chaotic 😬

Most clubs have had a disrupted pre season. Most clubs are later than us with their new signings too. Leicester has lost their best CB for the season and have panic purchased a downgrade. Everton signed Gray and Townsand, Newcastle are about to make their first signing which was a loan player last season. Arsenal are trying to buy Ramsdale for about 30m after selling Emi for 20m. Wolves have signed 4 unknowns for a combined 20m. Saints have lost their best player (to us) and replaced him with Blackburn's striker. Brighton has lost their best defender.

We still have Smith, Shakespeare, Cutler and Gronnemark. I am sure they will manage to see us through this difficult period without JT and ROK

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

With ROK having left today (I hope everything is ok!), it’s a further blow to our preparations for the season ahead. I’m really concerned now by the gaps being left by the likes of JT, Grealish and ROK. These were all very well respected members of our setup.

I’ve mentioned it before in the Grealish thread that I’m struggling to understand what our identity is now, and even more so by today’s news. 

We’ve had some new faces that have come in, but too many of the old faces going out. Important characters that made us who we were just recently as last season. It’s not often that members of the coaching staff leave before a new season kicks off unless it’s a complete manager change!! 

Very concerning in my view. 

You're a sky is falling kinda guy aren't ya?

Sorry to see O'Kelly go, but things have rarely been better. I think we're levelling up our backroom staff.

• Like 3

Â