');
alreadyexists

Richard O’Kelly

Recommended Posts

Apparently Richard O’Kelly has joined the coaching team from Brentford with Dean Smith. I thought he deserves his own thread. Not confirmed on the OS yet so still speculation for now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome addition in my mind, will help bring and instill the methodology that Smith has planned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Welcome addition in my mind, will help bring and instill the methodology that Smith has planned.

But can he do it without the "system" and "Structure" at Brentford?

If you go off some peoples opinions, everybodies footballing knowledge, ethos and ability evaporates once they have left it.

 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a huge signing for us, a lot of the Brentford fans (based on me reading one of their forums) seem to consider him the brains behind most of the success they've had.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a good appointment if confirmed. Sounds like Smith would be mad to move anywhere without him.

Wonder how JT fits in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either some bitter Brentford fan got hold of his wiki page or it's a wind up but full name Richard "Florence " O'kelly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just hope this isn't another false dawn.  I've read comments on this site previously when we employed Culverhouse and Clemence etc, that they were the brains behind previous managers and what a coup it was getting them.  Didn't quite work out that way for us though. 

I simply know nothing about the guy, but very much hope he's a success here, along with Smith and Terry.  Welcome Richard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brentford had 2 assistants, while arsenal has a similar set up. Its not beyond the realms of possibly that this scenario will happen at Villa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Brentford had 2 assistants

Sure didn't Bruce hire about 15 assistants in the end. Didn't do him much good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Just hope this isn't another false dawn.  I've read comments on this site previously when we employed Culverhouse and Clemence etc, that they were the brains behind previous managers and what a coup it was getting them.  Didn't quite work out that way for us though. 

I simply know nothing about the guy, but very much hope he's a success here, along with Smith and Terry.  Welcome Richard. 

That’s the understatement of the year! I had forgotten about those two guys but didn't Culverhouse get sacked for bullying in the end?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

That’s the understatement of the year! I had forgotten about those two guys but didn't Culverhouse get sacked for bullying in the end?

Without checking, i’m sure you’re right mate.  When you also think of Keane, Clarke, Wilkins etc, we’ve not had much luck with assistant coaches.  

Edited by ferguson1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Without checking, i’m sure you are right mate.  When you also think of Keane, Clarke, Wilkins etc, we’ve not had much luck with assistant coaches.  

I think it sums up our managers too... all shit for far too long.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Seems like a good appointment if confirmed. Sounds like Smith would be mad to move anywhere without him.

Wonder how JT fits in?

O'Kelly will be first team coach I reckon, JT was named Assistant to Smith wasn't he?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Apparently Richard O’Kelly has joined the coaching team from Brentford with Dean Smith. I thought he deserves his own thread. Not confirmed on the OS yet so still speculation for now.

Officially confirmed now. ( Don't trust Sky sauces anymore ) ! Matthew Benham just tweeted to wish Dean and Richard all the best in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But can he do it without the "system" and "Structure" at Brentford?

If you go off some peoples opinions, everybodies footballing knowledge, ethos and ability evaporates once they have left it.

 

He was Dean's number 2 at Walsall for a good few years aswell. I can assure you with the penny pinching way Jeff Bonser (Walsall owner) runs things there was certainly no "system" or "structure" at that club!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites