January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Steven Davis is available, would be excellent addition IMO.

Would do a job, even though I can’t see him being the age that the new owners or Smith will be targeting. It’s weird, I really associate him with Rangers but he’s been at Southampton a lot longer.

Looking at his honours he won player of the year for us, anyone remember why we sold him?

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Would do a job, even though I can’t see him being the age that the new owners or Smith will be targeting. It’s weird, I really associate him with Rangers but he’s been at Southampton a lot longer.

Looking at his honours he won player of the year for us, anyone remember why we sold him?

Not a MON player. MON played him in a wider role, curiously, and he didn't do that well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

His 1st season he was very good here and the years fly by when you remember his debut 😮

He wasnt a MON player who preferred players like Reo-Coker, Osbourne and Gardner ahead of him and think he was guaranteed first team football at Fulham

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

His 1st season he was very good here and the years fly by when you remember his debut 😮

He wasnt a MON player who preferred players like Reo-Coker, Osbourne and Gardner ahead of him and think he was guaranteed first team football at Fulham

He wasn’t average enough for MON. 

• Like 1

On 14/12/2018 at 18:32, tinker said:

Would love Heaton , remember him in Burnley's 1-0  win end of the season they went down and we managed to stay up , he kept them in the game  with some great stops and commanded his area. Said at the time we should try and sign him but he signed an extension and we stuck with Guzan.........

Him going out on loan or even a permanent is very likely.

Is Nick Pope close to being fit? There's no way Burnley can keep all 3 keepers happy and Joe Hart seems to be their undisputed number one now.

On 15/12/2018 at 02:29, Dave-R said:

I just came across it now strolling through aston villa news.

Could be a good signing if he's fast like reported, even better with Tuanzebe who is also fast, Smith's style requires speed alongside accurate, continuous, one touch, passing, a few of our players struggle with it. If Smith does raid brentford he obviously thinks there's some talent there that could pull his style off better than what some of ours have been playing, so raid away.

Would out fire on Rico a little, he's been injured for a year.

I do like Smith is trying to get the gang back together as we've also been linked with Romain Sawyers. Both played very well for him at Walsall and Sawyers has been pretty good for Brentford so shown he can step up.

Just nice we could be signing players I've actually seen live many times rather than randoms like Kozak, Tonev, Bacuna and Helenius.

We should be having or may already have had conversations with other clubs about bringing in their players. Nothing appears concrete yet, but I hope we will be able to do some business at the start of the coming transfer window because our defence is in need of reinforcements post-haste.

Looking forward to some excellent presents this year. The best such previous present that I recall was reading in the Birmingham Evening Mail of our signing of Dennis Mortimer just before Christmas 1975! A couple of signings that make half the impact on our club that he did would be more than acceptable.🎅

• Like 1

Steven Davis is 33 years old, he's really not the type of player we need to be signing.

May do a job this season but after that he becomes a liability and wages on the bench that we don't need. He also has very little re-sale value.

We need to be getting away from these types of signings and bringing in young, hungry players the same way other clubs in this league are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/12/2018 at 13:27, Reivax_Villa said:

Just had a listen to Purslow's interview.

He mentions that Liverpool's fortunes changed for the better when they signed a quality defender and goalkeeper.

I can see us spending heavily in defence in January. 

I personally think that Heaton is on the radar but he is not our first choice.

Pitarch would not have been brought in to identify a back up goalkeeper for Burnley.

I believe that we will make 3/4 signings.

GK - A signing Abroad 

LB - perhaps a loan signing

CB - Our future CB for years to come.

DM - one that is very good in possession and making interceptions - perhaps a poor mans Gana or Kante.

That is music to my ears.....I had the same thoughts going through my head, before I read that.

and totally agree with your proposed player positions.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

If I remember the timeline right, MON sold him at the same time as bringing in NRC, and I remember thinking then that Davis would go on to have a better career. I always liked him here, delighted he got to captain his country etc. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

From Barry Bannan to Steven Davis.

Is Pongo Waring still around as well he'd give Tammy a run for his money.

Really can’t believe some of suggestions on here. Some  only seem to name players they have heard of regardless of the age and some poor or well past it on massive money.

Football is like a puzzle have pick the pieces to fit the puzzle. Doesn’t matter if player is bosman or twenty mil player. Carefully pick the pieces to fit.

In my view... We could pick up a brand new back four and a keeper for less than ten million from here/abroad if we have scouts to do it.

Not that hard identify players abroad or even here  better then what we currently have.

Should leave the Nylands of this world well alone.

Edited by Villan4Life

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Him going out on loan or even a permanent is very likely.

Is Nick Pope close to being fit? There's no way Burnley can keep all 3 keepers happy and Joe Hart seems to be their undisputed number one now.

They can't keep 3 fans happy at the moment.😮

• Haha 1

I'd love to see Heaton, Mckenna, a LB (Rico Henry ?) and another CM/CDM if we have any spare change. Understand its a big ask given our circumstances plus we'd have to offload some players too which would probs be difficult given Jedi,Whelo and Lansbury all on a decent wedge.

But a good point mentioned which i haven't thought about before above about Jesus being brought in. I cant see him going for pure British based players. May aswell have a british based Technical Director if we're going that route. Hell if he can cover those positions with some cheap worldie foreign players id be even more happier mind. But thats the type of calibre i'd be looking at anyway. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

They can't keep 3 fans happy at the moment.😮

Pope is best out three of them. Shame as we was linked with him for around  £750k from Charlton  under Lambert.

Pope > Heaton > Hart in that order on how good they are.

Edited by Villan4Life